Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,I firmly believe that you have to train your dog and enforce the rules for everyone to be happy (unless you enjoy pee on your floor and garbage strewn all over lol).I spoil my dogs in the love department but I dont tolerate bad behavoir!I reward highly when they do good and use the same level of committment when they are bad.But my fiance......he would rather pretend that "bad" things didnt happen,he hates to dicipline.Not only does he not want to be the one to correct,he picks them up and loves all over them right after I dicipline! So they are not understanding and overall Im afraid my pets will like me less cuz "Daddy" is the good guy and Im the bad guy.....Anyone else have this prob? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
lol..I have som' suggestions but they are probably not what you want to hear! :p

how are the dogs "bad"? How are you "diciplining" them?

Dogs don't understand "good" vs "bad" or "right" vs "wrong"

They do understand rewarding and not rewarding and safe vs dangerous though. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I catch Kilo getten into the garbage (and only when I catch him) he gets a "hollar" (me making loud obnoxious noise), when I catch our little "angel" Margarita leaving me a gift in the house,she gets a hollar and has to go to the kitchen.When they are standing at the table begging while we eat,they go to the kitchen.Same if they get caught stealing food from us or eachother (its ridiculous how a little dog can bully a big one). Basicaly they get the loud unpleasent noise and then they have to spend time apart from us,which they hate. But Shawn is always making excuses for why it wasnt their fault and I hate being the bad guy!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Personally... (I know this wont solve the problem with you and your guy sorry)...I would teach them alternative behaviors so they can't get in trouble anymore.

Example...if they beg at the table teach them to go to a mat (or even the kitchen) by themselves...that way no one is the "bad" guy because instead of the dogs being viewed as misbehaving you can view them as in the middle of learning what TO DO. The interuption mearly stops the behavior in that moment, it doesn't increase or decrease it...its feedback the dog gets after that matters. :)

Just happily ask the dogs to go som'where else and reward them for staying there.

Basically its ok to interupt what their doing (like you have been) but if the problem behavior keeps occurring perhaps its time to teach the dogs to do what you want them too instead on "dont do this". :) or else your stuck correcting them forever.

A good correction only takes twice at the most...if they do it more than twice the correction will likey never work unless som'thing changes (better timing, harder, or different correction, which i don't recomend lol)

as far as pooing in the house...thats on you my friend...dogs can't open doors!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Personally... (I know this wont solve the problem with you and your guy sorry)...I would teach them alternative behaviors so they can't get in trouble anymore.

Example...if they beg at the table teach them to go to a mat (or even the kitchen) by themselves...that way no one is the "bad" guy because instead of the dogs being viewed as misbehaving you can view them as in the middle of learning what TO DO. The interuption mearly stops the behavior in that moment, it doesn't increase or decrease it...its feedback the dog gets after that matters. :)

Just happily ask the dogs to go som'where else and reward them for staying there.

Basically its ok to interupt what their doing (like you have been) but if the problem behavior keeps occurring perhaps its time to teach the dogs to do what you want them too instead on "dont do this". :) or else your stuck correcting them forever.

A good correction only takes twice at the most...if they do it more than twice the correction will likey never work unless som'thing changes (better timing, harder, or different correction, which i don't recomend lol)

as far as pooing in the house...thats on you my friend...dogs can't open doors!!
I have used the simple command "go lay down" when my big boy begs for food. He does it too...and he does not mistaken it for "down" which is when he lays and gets a treat. Its amazing how well tones and phrases are picked up by the dog so as not to misinterpret. We have found little ways to get our dogs to do what we want. In general we use the word "quit" or "uh uh" depending on what they are doing and they respond so well to it. Minus the chihuahua who pee's on the floor LOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For my girl noel im both good cop and bad LOL i may be the one to say no you cant open the fridge and eat all that is inside but im also the one that takes her to the run to find the treats i hid for her. i think with positvie training you can be #1 in your dogs life hehehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts