Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a dog 6 days ago. The poor things ribs, spine and hip bones are all visible. I assume he is obsessed with food because of this. He is constantly cruising around the kitchen and sniffing around the garbage can, though he's made a huge improvement in the last 6 days we've had him though! I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has no idea what to do with himself. He has a ton of toys we try to get him to play (it seems he doesn't understand todays) and I make sure he has adequate exercise (though its not much right now, he's pretty week). When I have some better control over him I'll be bringing him down to the dog park at least 4 days a week.

Anyway, in an effort to find something to entertain him I've been looking to give him something to chew. I started with those short 4", or so, beef bones that are hollow. It literally sounded like he was eating potato chips while he had it. I took it away because I was worried he'd get sick from eating the whole thing, that it would splinter, or he would swallow a piece too big. So next I got him one of those hard white bones with the filling. He could CARE. LESS. Then maybe I thought it was the flavor, yah know, maybe peanut butter wasn't his thing! So I got a beef flavored one. NOPE. Then I brought him down to the pet store and I told the woman what I was looking for. I walked out with a $30 deer antler that he seemed interested in when we left. We got home and I set it on the floor and he went to town on it :) for 30 seconds :mad:. He's chewed it a few more times after that, but it's not very entertaining or incising.

Can anyone recommend something that is will keep him entertained, but that he won't blow through in two minutes?

Thank you! :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can try Bison Horn.
It is not as hard to chew on their teeth and it lasts quite a while. My dogs lasts her a week or more. I usually try to pick one that is not paper thin but has a lot of hollowed out instead of solid.
You can also put a little peanut butter or coconut oil in it to get them interested if they are picky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts