Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end. No matter what I do, how many times I repeat myself it's like he doesn't hear me. Sometimes I want to strangle him! No, not the dogs, they listen great to me. It's my BF (and his father). He really tries and wants to work with training the dogs, but I am always repeating myself, and he does good as long as I'm right there telling him what to do step by step. But if I give him suggestions and then leave it's like his mind goes blank. And his family are all pretty big softies with the dogs, letting them do whatever they want. So I was thinking maybe if he reads some good, easy beginner dog training books he would get it a bit better. Instead of just copying what I tell him with little understanding of what is actually happening.

So anyone have some good recommendations? Positive reinforcement only please.

And does anyone know why it is so much easier to train the dogs than it is to train the SO? :confused::headbash:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Some of the ones I like:

1. Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson
2. Don't Shoot the Dog - Karen Pryor
3. The Other End of the Leash - Patricia McConnell
4. How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves - Dr. Sophia Yin

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves - Dr. Sophia Yin

As above, this is the one you need. Calming signals by Rugaas will help, too.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thank you. I'll look into those books.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO, Culture Clash is probably the best quick resource out there. It has lots of very specific advice and training protocols, but also gives you a great crash course on understanding the science behind it. Once you understand how the dog learns, you can design your own protocols for whatever situation arises.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
annageckos;2822489 And does anyone know why it is so much easier to train the dogs than it is to train the SO? :confused::headbash:[/QUOTE said:
Read Don't shoot the dog by Karen Pryor then clicker train your BF. It works great on humans too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts