Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old golden doodle with chronic diarrhea. He has had soft/ mushy stools ever since we got him at 4 months. He was initially diagnosed with giardia and was treated 3 times with different medications and a food change to a prescription diet. The second round of medication was metronidazole. This instantly turned his stools more firm than normal- they had the form of actual poop, but were still on the soft side (for the most part,) although he still had some completely soft ones. After 5 weeks of being on the prescription diet/ taking probiotics and having somewhat firm stool (and being cleared from giardia,) he started to have diarrhea and was going to the bathroom every hour. After a week of this, we took him to the vet. The vet did a physical and said he looks incredibly healthy. He still has a strong appetite and doesn’t act sick. The vet also tested his stool and found no parasites (no giardia) she also tried giving him b12 shots and changing him to a different high fiber prescription food. He is now going on his 3rd week of having this nonstop diarrhea. Some nights are better than others. Last night he woke up 3 times, the night before, 9 times. The vet said that since she has never known him to have firm stools that some chronic GI issue is going on and we were blaming it on the giardia at first. Now that the giardia is gone, we need to figure out what is going on, but nothing seems to be helping. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds like his food. When i got my dog he had sloppy poos from day one. He was on advance biscuits from breeder. The vet suggested royal canin and his poos were the same so i trialed different brands in that yr and poos got a bit better with grain free but when i started feeding raw his poos became very healthy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
oh dear , similar story with Murphy.. He did test positive for giardia at about 8 months and after that we never had a firm stool again.
After trying different food and even a hugely expensive one from the vet that he just refused to eat we switched to raw..

Have been feeding 100% raw for two years now and have never had a runny poo since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts