Dog Forum banner

What to use for cooper?

• Double sided brush, double sided comb, de matting comb, under coat rake combo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under coat rake

• Double sided comb

• De matting comb

• Furminator

• other (please specify)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay my SIL (sister in law) has asked me for advise as she needs to get cooper new brushes/grooming tools for cooper who is 2 years in march!

I have asked on Facebook (RFC chat) what other golden retrievers owners use but got a mixed versions but just need whats best for cooper so attaching a few pics so you can get a better idea of his coat.

Personally id use a double sided brush, double sided comb, undercoat rake and de-matting comb is that correct for cooper?

Others have come back with greyhound comb/brush, furminator, rake comb, slicker brushes. Cooper lying down, standing up with coming out of front door and standing up are most recent ones of him i have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I suppose there are a lot of brushes a person can turn to in grooming...but with my guy HaHa, I just (gently) use a multi wire bristle cat brush on him to get some of the surface hair and touch up his feathers on his legs and brush out his tail...me holding on the the hair on his tail so the brush doesn't pull it too hard. I'm sure though there are combs that might work better than that.

HaHa's growth was stunted due to him be starved almost to death...so he didn't full out mature until almost age 3. I read that most Golden Retrievers hit their last maturity growth at around at 2. They will muscle up some, and at least with HaHa, his hair changed. It went from a fine straight shorter hair to a courser, longer, hair that had waves in it. And he 'filled' out in a way that did show more muscle, not just a simple weight gain either.

Then...I learned how much hair a Golden Retriever had when he started to blow his coat.... OHMYGOSH! Take a look at my avatar photo... I have had dogs with a lot of hair...but it's shocking how much hair a Golden Retriever sheds when their undercoat goes. I have a rake, and I gently use it on HaHa almost every day until he quits that mega shedding. I take him outside almost every other day when his coat is like that and will get small plastic bags full of white fluff. I just don't know where it all comes from! It's just hard to believe under his golden reddish hair there is that much white hair...lol.

The rake I use is a metal one, with 1 row of metal prongs set at a 90 degree angle from the handle. It's amazing at lifting the loose hair out from under the top coat.
It' looks a lot like this one:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/1722590593_4/camb-brush-brush-rake-tool-hair-grooming-coat-mat-dematting-for-dog-cat-pet-animal.jpg

I've never really seen a lot of mats in HaHa's hair. He will some times get a little 'ball' of hair matted kind of close to his skull where his ear flaps are at, and sometimes his tail hair will get a little tangled...but his feathers and other hair just don't seem to have matting issues. I usually just cut the ear mats off with a small pair of embroidery scissors and brush out his tail mats with my small cat brush.

Here's a photo of HaHa that shows off his coat really well, it was taken a few months ago. That day I just ran the cat brush over him to take off some of the loose top hair.

Cooper is very pretty, btw, I haven't seen too many cream colored ones.

Stormy

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose there are a lot of brushes a person can turn to in grooming...but with my guy HaHa, I just (gently) use a multi wire bristle cat brush on him to get some of the surface hair and touch up his feathers on his legs and brush out his tail...me holding on the the hair on his tail so the brush doesn't pull it too hard. I'm sure though there are combs that might work better than that.

HaHa's growth was stunted due to him be starved almost to death...so he didn't full out mature until almost age 3. I read that most Golden Retrievers hit their last maturity growth at around at 2. They will muscle up some, and at least with HaHa, his hair changed. It went from a fine straight shorter hair to a courser, longer, hair that had waves in it. And he 'filled' out in a way that did show more muscle, not just a simple weight gain either.

Then...I learned how much hair a Golden Retriever had when he started to blow his coat.... OHMYGOSH! Take a look at my avatar photo... I have had dogs with a lot of hair...but it's shocking how much hair a Golden Retriever sheds when their undercoat goes. I have a rake, and I gently use it on HaHa almost every day until he quits that mega shedding. I take him outside almost every other day when his coat is like that and will get small plastic bags full of white fluff. I just don't know where it all comes from! It's just hard to believe under his golden reddish hair there is that much white hair...lol.

The rake I use is a metal one, with 1 row of metal prongs set at a 90 degree angle from the handle. It's amazing at lifting the loose hair out from under the top coat.
It' looks a lot like this one:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/1722590593_4/camb-brush-brush-rake-tool-hair-grooming-coat-mat-dematting-for-dog-cat-pet-animal.jpg

I've never really seen a lot of mats in HaHa's hair. He will some times get a little 'ball' of hair matted kind of close to his skull where his ear flaps are at, and sometimes his tail hair will get a little tangled...but his feathers and other hair just don't seem to have matting issues. I usually just cut the ear mats off with a small pair of embroidery scissors and brush out his tail mats with my small cat brush.

Here's a photo of HaHa that shows off his coat really well, it was taken a few months ago. That day I just ran the cat brush over him to take off some of the loose top hair.

Cooper is very pretty, btw, I haven't seen too many cream colored ones.

Stormy

I didnt realise haha was a golden retriever! oh poor haha being starved almost to death then you rescued him oh your a very good kind generous person! What a beautiful georgeous retriever he is and oh i love his coloring! sometimes wish cooper was that color because you can see just how dirty cooper gets that's the downside to his color! Yes cooper is a pretty dog.

How do you keep the hair at side of the bum so neat? coopers get so messy ad thick and they haven't any thinning scissors like i have for Jessie.

2nd and 3rd ones i had washed and groomed him not sure if you can tell esp with the tail being a bit short. Before that he was in big need of a groom.

Cooper still to fill out i thought they did that at 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Most of the time, like I said I just use what I call my cat brush on him...it's kind of a wired brush with a bend in the prongs. I just lightly brush him with that to get loose hairs on top and I use it on his tail and his feathers...even the feathers up higher on his legs where his tail is at. I take my time, and don't jerk the comb though...as I don't want it snagging and pulling hair out of him.

Most of the time, he's pretty easy maintenance, and I use the rake on him only like once a week....but when he's blowing his coat, which can take like a week, it's almost every day I have to rake him a little bit...there is just sooo much undercoat hair that comes up during those episodes. I never realized how much white hair is under that golden red coat until he starts to lose it all. Fortunately that only happens a few times a year. :p

I probably should go out and buy some combs for his tail and longer feather hair next to his tail. But it hasn't been a priority since the cat brush seems to take care of it.

I have only about once taken the scissors and trimmed HaHa's back feathers that are up near his tail. In the photo...you can see one of the times. About a week before this photo was taken, I cut a little bit of the length off his feathers around his tail. It wasn't so much because they were matted or anything, I just curious as to whether I would like to visually see a shorter length or the more natural longer length.

I think I like something in between..lol. I didn't like it as short as I made it, but when it grew out a little, I did like that...when it was a lot longer, I thought the leg feathering overwhelmed his tail and all one could see was a bunch of white back there.

HaH, btw, just got done blowing his coat last week...so we're good until next spring. : ) which will be just about the time I get all the loose hair in my house rounded up...lol

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the time, like I said I just use what I call my cat brush on him...it's kind of a wired brush with a bend in the prongs. I just lightly brush him with that to get loose hairs on top and I use it on his tail and his feathers...even the feathers up higher on his legs where his tail is at. I take my time, and don't jerk the comb though...as I don't want it snagging and pulling hair out of him.

Most of the time, he's pretty easy maintenance, and I use the rake on him only like once a week....but when he's blowing his coat, which can take like a week, it's almost every day I have to rake him a little bit...there is just sooo much undercoat hair that comes up during those episodes. I never realized how much white hair is under that golden red coat until he starts to lose it all. Fortunately that only happens a few times a year. :p

I probably should go out and buy some combs for his tail and longer feather hair next to his tail. But it hasn't been a priority since the cat brush seems to take care of it.

I have only about once taken the scissors and trimmed HaHa's back feathers that are up near his tail. In the photo...you can see one of the times. About a week before this photo was taken, I cut a little bit of the length off his feathers around his tail. It wasn't so much because they were matted or anything, I just curious as to whether I would like to visually see a shorter length or the more natural longer length.

I think I like something in between..lol. I didn't like it as short as I made it, but when it grew out a little, I did like that...when it was a lot longer, I thought the leg feathering overwhelmed his tail and all one could see was a bunch of white back there.

HaH, btw, just got done blowing his coat last week...so we're good until next spring. : ) which will be just about the time I get all the loose hair in my house rounded up...lol

Stormy
Id say coop is pretty easy maintenance except for amount of times you literally see the hair fall off him or go next door and you see hair everywhere on the carpet full of white hair! If only he got brushed more might not be so bad? So far he has slicker brush but i feel that doesnt get to the undercoat at all and a comb. Charlies undercoat rake earlier this year got heaps undercoat out and really helped the shedding de crease. Its spring here atm

·
Registered
291 Posts
Everyone prefers different things. I don't have a golden, but I do have spaniels which are a fairly similar coat type. I prefer to use a pin brush and a slicker brush, greyhound comb (which is really just a regular comb, they're nothing fancy). Then probably a stripping knife (medium or coarse) for carding out undercoat, as well as an undercoat rake depending on how much undercoat he has. A mat breaker comb is useful if he tends to get a lot of mats.

I would stay far away from the Furminator as it can cut top coat easily.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone prefers different things. I don't have a golden, but I do have spaniels which are a fairly similar coat type. I prefer to use a pin brush and a slicker brush, greyhound comb (which is really just a regular comb, they're nothing fancy). Then probably a stripping knife (medium or coarse) for carding out undercoat, as well as an undercoat rake depending on how much undercoat he has. A mat breaker comb is useful if he tends to get a lot of mats.

Pin brushes can come double sided with a bristle one right? this is what i call a pin brush for my Jessie Pet Brushes : Amazon.com: Miracle Coat Double Sided Dog Brush, Large

Coopers hair is pretty thick so is a slicker right? also what about a moutling brush? furminator i beleive didnt help Jessies coat i got given it by the pet shop when i got her and her coat got rough from using it daily and multiple baths

·
Registered
291 Posts

Pin brushes can come double sided with a bristle one right? this is what i call a pin brush for my Jessie Pet Brushes : Amazon.com: Miracle Coat Double Sided Dog Brush, Large

Coopers hair is pretty thick so is a slicker right? also what about a moutling brush? furminator i beleive didnt help Jessies coat i got given it by the pet shop when i got her and her coat got rough from using it daily and multiple baths
Yes, that is a pin brush, but that specific type is isn't very useful IME. You'll never need the bristle part, and those pins with the balls on the end and the rubbery base don't work well. I would look on a site like PetEdge.com at pin brushes that pro groomers use. You can't beat the Chris Christensen T pin brush.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of course theres other sites but those brands we can get from certain sites :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nooo sister in law got a furminator which was supposed to be $90 but got for $64 told her why not to use it and take it back but she was insistent that cooper has a differnt coat to otehr dogs and wouldnt listen so copied and pasted above about furminator in email. i hope she takes it back.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Too bad about her choice of grooming tools. I guess some people don't care what it does to their dog's coat.

Like I said, I get by with a simple rake for the undercoat stuff and a cat brush to take care of the loose hair on top and to comb out HaHa's feathers. :p They might not be the best choice but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing major damage to his fur...especially the undercoat.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too bad about her choice of grooming tools. I guess some people don't care what it does to their dog's coat.

Like I said, I get by with a simple rake for the undercoat stuff and a cat brush to take care of the loose hair on top and to comb out HaHa's feathers. :p They might not be the best choice but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing major damage to his fur...especially the undercoat.

Stormy
Well long term told them it will cut the coat and all but tehy looked it up online for reviews and got 4.5 stars and only one not so good review so they happy to go by that. We shall see long term if they come to regret it however does get matts out very easily as Jess had a matt and i tried it on her because i didnt believe it be good enough to get it off and it was off in seconds but i still wont use it on Jessie but maybe to get a matt off her and that is it if i choose to do that.

With charlie i used the undercoat rake on him recently and he looks better for it and im glad because he finds the hot weather hard right now and he aint long left by sound and look of things

1 - 13 of 13 Posts