Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a golden retriever. He’s 5 months old and he still bites does anyone else this problem or is it just my dog?????? I really wanna know and when I play with him he never give back the toy even bites me when I try to take the toy from him ???? Is this normal

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
This is likely just an extension of the boisterous play he had with his littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

There is also something called ”extinction burst” that you should be aware of. This is when a behaviour that used to get attention no longer works for the dog so he tries it all the harder and it seems like things are getting worse, not better. This is good, because it means that what you are doing is starting to work.

When you are taking toys from him and he bites, can you describe more about how that is happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is likely just an extension of the boisterous play he had with his littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

There is also something called ”extinction burst” that you should be aware of. This is when a behaviour that used to get attention no longer works for the dog so he tries it all the harder and it seems like things are getting worse, not better. This is good, because it means that what you are doing is starting to work.

When you are taking toys from him and he bites, can you describe more about how that is happening?
Yes he goes and gets his toy ,and then comes to me like he wants to play and when I try to take it from him he doesn’t leave it . Then we both end up pulling the toy .and when I stop pulling the toy from his mouth then he comes again and touches me and that’s when his teeth gets touched on my hands . When shove him away he comes more close ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing also sometimes when I throw a ball and tell him to fetch he goes to fetch it and comes back to me but never leaves it to me so that I can fetch again , why is he doing that

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Because playing ”get it from me” is more fun. You just need to train him to drop it - have a treat and as he drops the ball to get it, say ”drop” and reward him with the treat. After doing that for a while you can fade the treat reward, give it sometimes but not always, then once it is reliable, reward less and less frequently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because playing ”get it from me” is more fun. You just need to train him to drop it - have a treat and as he drops the ball to get it, say ”drop” and reward him with the treat. After doing that for a while you can fade the treat reward, give it sometimes but not always, then once it is reliable, reward less and less frequently.
Yeah i’m trying that . Thanks man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But do they ever stop teething or mouthing ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, just work on walking away and as long as you do it immediately and every time he will soon learn that teeth make the fun stop.
when i’m on my terrace and waking he comes with me and at first he also walks and do his business. And i’m walking quietly. Suddenly he’ll just stop and stand at one place and then he’ll look at me and i’m just walking and he’ll comes running to me so fast and aggressively and he’ll try to just bite me ? Like this is so weird why he does that I can’t understand thus behaviour

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
when i’m on my terrace and waking he comes with me and at first he also walks and do his business. And i’m walking quietly. Suddenly he’ll just stop and stand at one place and then he’ll look at me and i’m just walking and he’ll comes running to me so fast and aggressively and he’ll try to just bite me ? Like this is so weird why he does that I can’t understand thus behaviour
He is trying to get you to play - that's how he would have played with his litter mates.

You can either play but with a game that you want, like with a tug toy, or you can stand like a tree and ignore him (wear boots!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is trying to get you to play - that's how he would have played with his litter mates.

You can either play but with a game that you want, like with a tug toy, or you can stand like a tree and ignore him (wear boots!)
Okay I used to think that he hates me and just angry and wants to bite

1 - 15 of 15 Posts