Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm taking my 11 wk old puppy to the vet today for his first shot since I got him and am thinking about giving him a treat after to maybe make him think of that the next time we go instead of the shot. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'd give lots of treats while you're there - treats in the waiting room, treats on the scale, treats in the exam room, treats during the exam, treats while being held, treats after the shot, treats on the way out... You want the entire experience to be positive.

The vet will probably do some of the treating, too.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I give TONS of treats to puppies whenever they visit the vet. Outside the building, in the waiting room, on the scale, whenever someone talks to them...the list goes on and on. As a result, my dogs absolutely love the vet!

Reactions: cookieface

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm the same as the other guys that have already commented. Going to the vet = treat jackpot. Make sure they're high value treats. I use something that is a bit softer and bigger than his normal treats so that while he's getting his shot I can hold a treat in my hand and he can nibble at it while he's getting his shot. Tucker was so interested in the treat in my hand he didn't even flinch when the vet injected his shots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! Your knowledge is invaluable to me. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. I grew up with dogs but they were outside dogs and none were puppies so I'm new to this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts