Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know and can tell Maye is house trained but she still pees in the house. When we first got her I choked it up to being a new place, stress, and us learning her bathroom needs. After awhile she stopped peeing in the house and only went outside. Then for about three day's she pooped and peed on the upstairs bathroom rug. So I learned that she needed to go out a little earlier then when I normally take them out before bed. After that as far as I can remember she was fine for awhile. Then she started having accidents in the house again. She peed and pooped on the upstairs bathroom rug again one day (hasnt since knock on wood)And she's peeing in odd spots (furniture) that she never did before. She peed on one of the dog beds pretty much right in front of me, one day when I got up and had to go to the bathroom before I let them out she came into the bathroom and peed on the rug in front of me (upstairs bathroom again), a few days ago she peed on the new runner we put in front of our sliding door which she did when my mom was sitting in the same room, a few days ago I found she peed on a chair (its a outdoor wicker chair), and I just found out she peed on our old couch. I have no idea whats going on with her, normally if she had a accident its was on the floor and it was I had though very infrequent.
I was assuming she was just going to be one of those dogs that was house trained but if she really had to go she wouldn't hold it. The other problem is, is that she has no signal to let any of us know she needs to go out. I finally decided to get a bell to see if it will hopefully get her to signal us that she needs to go out. And its not like I take her out infrequently. At minimum I take both dogs out 3 times a day, and we always go out right after we wake up and right before bed. I even started to write down every time I took her out and what she did to see if she was going a exesive amount. In total today I ended up taking her out 4 times (so far), and it ended up being about every three hours or so. The last time she went out was around 8:00 (which is after she eat dinner), it is now a bit after 10:00, so sometime in the two hours between when it took her out and now she felt the need that she had to go in the house (when she went on the old couch). I would think that a adult house trained dog would be fine for at least 4 hours, but not even two is suprising.
Any tips or tricks? Should I try and repotty train her? It seems that the accidents tend to happen later in the day, should I try taking her out more frequently at night?
I was considering trying to limit water intake for her and calculate her water intake but its a bit hard when I have two dogs. Is it worth it to elevate the water so only Sawyer can drink it and leave a bowl on the floor for her where I manage and keep track of her water intake?

·
Registered
502 Posts
At her age, 4 hours should be easy. Honestly at that age, 8 hours should even be fine, so it's either a medical issue or she needs started all over again.

My 2 year old doesn't have quite the bladder of my other dogs, and when she's gotta go, she has to be let out quickly or she'll go on the floor. She will tell you by going to the door and whining though so that's extremely rare. But she can hold it 8-10 hours overnight. I limit her water after 6pm, or else she'll end up asking to go out at 4am. Is your dog one of those that just drinks for fun, and not just when they're thirsty? If so I think limiting her water would be a good idea.

Otherwise I think I would start over, and watch her every minute so you can stop her in the act. Every time she does it and you don't catch it, it is making the problem much harder to fix.

Just another idea, it she one that marks a lot? Peeing on really weird things like a wicker chair sounds like it could be marking more than just having an accident.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would treat her like a new puppy and go back to the basics of housetraining.

I would also try and switch your perception of the situation and consider her a dog that is not housetrained. In my view a dog that is housetrained does not choose to wiz in the house. Sometimes we unconsciously undermine ourselves by thinking something is a certain way when it's not. This might not matter in your case, but I find that sometimes just looking at a situation in a different way helps me to automatically react differently. For example, when my pup was learning to potty outside he had a very subtle cue that he wanted to go out. Every time I saw that he would go out immediately, now he has a similar behavior when he wants to play, but because I now consider him housetrained I don't take him outside. Unless we are in a place he is unfamiliar with, then I will take him out to potty, in these new situations it's roughly a 50/50 split on whether he needed to go our not.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At her age, 4 hours should be easy. Honestly at that age, 8 hours should even be fine, so it's either a medical issue or she needs started all over again.

My 2 year old doesn't have quite the bladder of my other dogs, and when she's gotta go, she has to be let out quickly or she'll go on the floor. She will tell you by going to the door and whining though so that's extremely rare. But she can hold it 8-10 hours overnight. I limit her water after 6pm, or else she'll end up asking to go out at 4am. Is your dog one of those that just drinks for fun, and not just when they're thirsty? If so I think limiting her water would be a good idea.

Otherwise I think I would start over, and watch her every minute so you can stop her in the act. Every time she does it and you don't catch it, it is making the problem much harder to fix.

Just another idea, it she one that marks a lot? Peeing on really weird things like a wicker chair sounds like it could be marking more than just having an accident.
I forgot to add she just turned 2. Anyways as far as I can tell I think she drinks when she's thirsty. On a average day I fill the water bowl when we get up and they have breakfast, then usually later in the day around or after there dinner I notice its half filled or close to being empty so I refill it, and usually by bedtime its either barely touched, half way empty, or some day almost empty. While I don't think she drinks for fun I do think she drinks a lot when she does. Maybe ill try limiting water at night and see if that helps since that's when she usually has the acidents. I wonder if she is for some reason drinking more later in the day/night.
When she was intact she used to mark on walks, but she never did it at home (outside) or in the house. And I haven't really seen marking as much if at all on walks now that she's spayed. I don't think its marking because this was the first time she ever peed on a chair/couch.
I calculated the times she went pee yesterday, so the times going outside plus the accident she peed 6 times yesterday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.