Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about training a Border Collie puppy or dog? As in what do you think the puppy should learn first as the basics, then what next would you move on into training and how might one go about doing so?

Plus, what are your tips on Border Collie puppy training? (even tips for the slightly more advanced tricks for Border Collies too)

I mean, of course Border Collies are easy to train in many senses, but I know that there are always tips, advise, or opinions on training a specific type of dog breed that are beneficial to know beforehand.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I commented on your other post...do you have a job for this dog? Is he/she coming from a reputable breeder with parents who work and compete?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I commented on your other post...do you have a job for this dog? Is he/she coming from a reputable breeder with parents who work and compete?
Yes, I'm looking at multiple reputable breeders (though I might consider adoption as well) who either use their dogs for herding and/or agility competitions (which are definitely requirement(s)). Also, (among plenty of other things) the dogs 'must' live inside, and I'm looking at litters who have parents who are actual 'pets' opposed to just breeding stock. etc...

Now, what do you mean by having a "job for the dog?" As in herding or?
Well, if you're asking about 'herding,' than no I do not have a 'job' for my future BC pup/dog. I'm also thinking that you might mean a job for like agility and keeping a BC pretty much constantly stimulated/busy? Then yes, I do have and will have plenty of jobs for my Border Collie.

I'm actually needing a very, very active exercise companion (since my current dog developed arthritis roughly 2 or 3 months ago) who won't tire or get bored of excerise. Health is by far one of the most important aspects of my life, so a dog that can withstand intense 1 to 2 hour 6 days or sometimes 5 days a week jogging/running, rain or shine (I was doing less for a few months, but recently for the past 2 months I'v gotten really big into jogging and running again, although before I was doing 1 to 1/2 hour jogs/runs 3 to 5 days a week). Not to mention the multiple daily walks either.

Also, since my job is fairly high paying with very few hours, and I'm not the one paying rent, I have tons of extra time on my hands. Plus, I (as odd as it might sound) love high maintenance dogs, and my Suzie just tires ways too easily now, although she still has her puppy hyper-active personality and spirit... :)

Plus I would just adore a good dog with frisby, and one that would make a great 'mentally active' companion as well. At first it never even crossed my mind to get a Boder Collie, but then once I gave it more thought, I just couldn't think of a better breed of dog than a Border Collie!
Well, hopefully I answered your questions (plus a little extra information too lol). :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts