Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... how many of you care if glycerin is listed in your dogs' treats? Do you specifically look for something only with 'vegetable glycerin' or none at all?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
We don't really buy commercial dog treats, probably because most of them seem like "junk food" to my biased mind. ;) (well, I don't really buy many human "treats" either... mostly make all our meals home-made.)

The only commercial type treats we buy are Evo biscuits, which appear to be pretty nutritious.

For training treats I just used tiny bits of good hot dogs, cooked chicken, cooked liver, or simply some of the dogs' daily kibble.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't buy many commercial treats either as I, like Tess, prefer to know what's in the food. And the 'good' treats are so expensive, that I rather make them myself. With the amount of training I do I'd spend $20 per week just on treats if I bought high quality commercial treats and that's more than I am willing to spend.
But I do like treats and so does my dog ;)
The dog is on a raw diet and I usually make everything from scratch and don't buy much processed food that I can absolutely justify eating junk food occasionally :p I have recently bought a bag of puperoni and she looooves it! :eek: Oh, and I also feed hot dogs as treats. I prefer to not look at the ingredients though...

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I make a lot of my treats or use whole meats, too, as the expenses add up fast for commercial (esp with the brands I buy).

But for those of you who do buy commercial ;) is listing just "glycerin" [not "vegetable glycerin"] reason enough that you won't buy it?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Honestly, I haven't noticed if glycerin is listed in the treats I use. I use Zukes and Charlie Bear treats. Zukes salmon lists vegetable glycerin. I don't have any of the others right now. I'm going to go check now and google for what might be concerning about glycerin.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
ive noticed heaps of treats have glycerin in them not sure if its a problem for dogs though?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just curious... how many of you care if glycerin is listed in your dogs' treats? Do you specifically look for something only with 'vegetable glycerin' or none at all?
Is this in reference to the whole Made in China chicken treats recall and how glycerin produced from jatropha seeds is toxic? The generic term glycerin was found on the China treats ingredients list, and the toxin doesn't show up on current testing methods. Or is it about how glycerin is a sugar based alcohol by product?

Either way the term is not enough for me to not buy a treat. I take in the whole list of how predominant it is and where the materials are sourced. If a treat has the country of origin for the ingredients and lists a non-asian country of manufacturer I'll still buy it if has glycerin listed on it. But then again the only treats I buy are Natural Balance's LID Biscuits, for my gas prone pups. I make everything else (kinda addicted to using my smoker right now, any reason and all).

·
Banned
472 Posts
Is this in reference to the whole Made in China chicken treats recall and how glycerin produced from jatropha seeds is toxic? The generic term glycerin was found on the China treats ingredients list, and the toxin doesn't show up on current testing methods. Or is it about how glycerin is a sugar based alcohol by product?

Either way the term is not enough for me to not buy a treat. I take in the whole list of how predominant it is and where the materials are sourced. If a treat has the country of origin for the ingredients and lists a non-asian country of manufacturer I'll still buy it if has glycerin listed on it. But then again the only treats I buy are Natural Balance's LID Biscuits, for my gas prone pups. I make everything else (kinda addicted to using my smoker right now, any reason and all).
Just FYI, Natural Balance refuses to confirm or deny if any of their ingredients come from China.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terrin, no this is in reference to possible contaminants in crude glycerin as a petro by-product if not listed as from vegetable sources. I haven't done any deep digging on the topic and was just curious if anyone had any strong reactions (with reasoning) to avoid or be okay with it.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just FYI, Natural Balance refuses to confirm or deny if any of their ingredients come from China.
They probably do, since they were affected by recalls too. Only difference is the source was identified and now they have 2 facilities that test for contaminates in all their products, still some testing is better then none.

Terrin, no this is in reference to possible contaminants in crude glycerin as a petro by-product if not listed as from vegetable sources.
Sorry, I didn't finish this sentence it should have read:
'Or is it about how glycerin is a sugar based alcohol by product from Bio-fuel production.'

If the petro by-product is the issue, wouldn't you stay away from vegetable glycerin? Since the before mention jatropha seeds and corn are used in bio-fuel too and the gylcerin by-product it produces would still have the same contaminates?

Not trying to come off as all knowing on the subject, just curious since I don't really know much about it either. Only what the internet tells me, and you know if it's on the internet it has to be true;)

·
Banned
472 Posts
They probably do, since they were affected by recalls too. Only difference is the source was identified and now they have 2 facilities that test for contaminates in all their products, still some testing is better then none.
Oh, I'm pretty positive they source from China. There is no reason otherwise that they absolutely will not reveal where they get any of their ingredients from. Their excuse is that they don't want rival food companies trying to use the same sources (rofl), but when I told the rep all I wanted to know was if literally anything came from China, I didn't even need to know WHAT, she refused. "I can't tell you that". Right.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, yeah. That is kind of my hangup on the specification between 'glycerin' and 'veg/plant based glycerin,' as well. I think where these e-sources were trying to pin it was that glycerin from plant/animal based by products was not going to have the risk of being contaminated with methanol that biofuel by-product does. I haven't read if there is a labeling regulation/definition for either yet, guess I should.

Anyways, I don't think I am going to lose much sleep over this. ;) I feed everything in moderation and variety. Plus, there are worse dangers I can sit here worrying myself about, lol. (Not that I was ever worried about glycerin, mostly just aware that it is yet another "controversial" ingredient.)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I don't buy alot of treats, but IN GENERAL that glycerin is an ingredient is not a turn off. I'm more concerned with ingrediant and manufacture locations.

Having said that I think its something to keep in mind. I vaugely recall a discussion on how certain types of glycerin, under certain conditions, can because a product that can cause health problems. I'll see if I can find the article.

·
Banned
811 Posts
I do occasional commercial treats but not much.
Now especially not after the jerky scare.. nooo made in China either.

The normal snacks and treats are (raw or cooked) deer ribs, deer meat nibblets, homemade deer jerkey, chicken, turkey pieces, real bacon, dollop of butter, creamcheese, goat cheese, any cheese, peanut butter, toast, hot dogs (seen showdog handlers use them), meatballs, some deli.meats, tuna fish, and he loooves... Cat treats

Except for the cat treats... Whatever is dog safe and I can safely eat, he gets treated with.

Love me dog...
He gets handfed a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts