Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My American Bulldog (white) has so many skin issues it is ridiculous. I've been working closely with my vet but am sick of band aid solutions provided through medications and am attempting to change his diet to a gluten/sugar/starch/grain etc free one. He has had big issues with Candida/yeast and hives (those have calmed down with a supplement).

I have found a dry food that meets my requirements. I just went through all my treats and I don't think any of them are appropriate because they either have corn, potato, or other added starch.

Any ideas on what treats I could give him that are either made for dogs or are human food? Any other tips would be great too. I'm not ready to do a completely raw diet but if this fails then I will start looking into that.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
One suggestion is to dehydrate your own treats. You can do meat or fruits and veggies, and will know exactly what is in the treats you provide. It is hard to find store bought treats that don't have some kind of starch/flour in them. Good luck in your quest!

Reactions: QuestsMom

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
As a gluten-free eater, myself (and lactose-free, and a bunch of other things, it sucks) here's some pointers. It's really all about reading the ingredients. When you go to a pet store, ask them to show you the gluten-free treats. This will be a good place to start, although just because something says 'gluten-free' doesn't mean that it's just fine. Check the back and look for other irritants that contribute to the dog's dietary problems such as starch, grain (a lot of GF products simply replace wheat with another grain), fibrous crap such as inulin, etc. Potatoes too, apparently. Get good at combing through the lists and take as long as you need. Check every GF product and you will get an idea of what the cheapest and best options out there are.

Another good option for treats is puppy kibble, as the high fat content makes it quite palatable. The really large kibbles are a great size for training treats.

Other than dog food / treats, you can also acquire products such as GF hot-dogs and bologna from health-food stores and some grocery chains. I also notice that with GF increasing in popularity for dogs and humans, a lot of independent and local companies are breaking into the market with GF stuff. Do some googling and hit up any dog bakeries or dog boutiques in your area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What in particular are good/safe human food treats? Dehydrating is a great idea but what foods would be best to do that with? I'm crap at knowing which foods are starchy (just found out peas and corn can be) so specifics are appreciated as well.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What in particular are good/safe human food treats? Dehydrating is a great idea but what foods would be best to do that with? I'm crap at knowing which foods are starchy (just found out peas and corn can be) so specifics are appreciated as well.
What ever meat you use is a good start. I have never had a dog turn it down.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Meat should be the primary treat. Veggies, such as carrots, may also be appreciated. I do cheese sometimes as a real special something but the high milk-fat and lactose is something that you want to limit. A gluten-free cereal or gluten-free crackers or cookies made with dog-safe ingredients (like digestive biscuits) would work to but again, not as a solid go-to treat. Even meats for human consumption should be fed only in small amounts where they are not raw or home-cooked. Many prepared meats (deli meats, hot dogs, etc) have preservatives that exacerbate problems in sensitive dogs, and where they are labeled 'preservative free' the are likely preserving it with salt.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
There are LOTS of treats out there that are made from just meat---freeze dried, dehydrated, etc.. Here are some of the ones I have on the shelf right now:
Superior Farms pet provisions "toasters"
Etta Says duck meat treat and lamb liver treat
Wildside Salmon treats for dogs
Bitz Real Meat all natural fish and venison jerky treats

Yes, I have a lot of treats! My sister also buys them for me as gifts. :)
My dog is going crazy right now, can't figure out why I have all the treats bags out but nothing coming his way...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Rockonxox: You can do a search of gluten free homemade dog treats if you want to make your own - I just searched and found lots of site. You will need to check them out to see if they are right for your situation. For cookie type treats, many of the recipes suggest rice flour instead of regular flour, and they use things like pumpkin as well. Try Gluten Free Dog Treats » Crazy Crumb Dog Treats
As far as dehydrating, you can use beef, liver, chicken, turkey, pork, etc. I usually do beef, cutting a cheap roast into thin strips. No need for any spices.
You can also dehydrate sweet potato or banana, cut into thin chips. Even apples. But you can use raw apples as a treat. You can also use carrots, raw or cooked too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cargo's stomach cant really handle any grain food.. including treats.. so when it comes to treats, I use freezer dried chicken or liver. I like the freeze dried liver because its easier to break into little pieces (and im extremely frugal) and it seems to help build her food drive a bit, since she doesnt really respond to any treats regularly else than meat ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts