Dog Forum banner

Glucosamine & Joint Health?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  audlalle 
#1 ·
My previous dog had mobility/joint issues including arthritis. I had some liquid and when he passed, I used what was left for my current dog. She's in good health. I'm not sure of her age - I keep telling people she's around 10 or so when they ask about her age. She might be 12 now, though. I'm not sure.

She can jump up and down off beds, couches etc. She is very mobile. I want to keep her joint health in good shape for as long as possible so I was thinking of getting a new bottle of liquid since one expired and the other one was used up.

One came from a vet and another from a store but I don't recall which store it was from. I found it online, though.

Do you know of any good ones you trust? I noticed there's a ton out there and many have varied concentrations - and I'm not sure which one is acceptable, ideal etc.

Any advice? I guess what I had was okay but the one from the vet was very high in Glucosamine but lower in the other two.

I think the liquid bottles are better than the chews and pills. What do you think?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The four ingredients crucial to helping joints are glucosamine, hydraluronic acid, chondroitin and msm. Everyone responds differently to each ingredient and some people or animals need more of one vs the others so it's best to have all four in each suppliment.
The pills and powders have always helped me, my old horse, my last dog and my mom who was disabled from severe arthritis immensely. Never tried chews or liquids.

#3 ·
I'm bumping this because I'm inquiring again. I'm glad you replied.

I hope to receive another reply or multiple replies.

I had a liquid from the vet - for my previous dog. After he passed away, I used it for my current dog. It has since expired. I want to get something new - and was wondering if it matters if you use chewables or the liquid. This particular product I had before was a liquid that I would pour a teaspoon on his food.

It was 'NaturVet' Glucosamine DS with Chrondroitin. I think there's a lot of products like this now - even in pet stores. But, in the local Petsmart in my city, it was virtually all chewables. I could order something online, though, if those aren't sufficient.

Any suggestions? I will look for those four ingredients. Thanks for that info.

#4 ·
I ordered it online on the recommendation of my friend who's raised many Rottweilers and German shepherds and swore this stuff helped keep them comfortable longer. My last dog was randomly yelping and wouldn't run as much and after being on this was running and playing like a puppy. Lasted a good year until he got degenerative myelopathy. It was Cosequin D5 I think. I think I got it on Amazon or 800 petmeds. You can read the ingredients to make sure it has everything. I also put him on fish oil.
I have my young dog on wild salmon treats. It's fish oil too but I heard wild salmon is good and it's good for his coat and skin and joints. And I feed him large dog dry food with joint stuff in it.
I don't think the type you Fred as far as liquid, chews, pills, matters as long as you can get them to eat it. My old horse has had a powder in her food for six or seven years now and looks pretty good considering she's about 90 in human years.
My last dog had pills mixed in mayo and swiss cheese. Current dog has treats. I take joint pills with the same ingredients and definitely feel the difference if I don't take them for a few

#5 ·
I use a Cetyl-M supplement that also contains glucosamine for my dog. The human studies that have been done on it show that it's effective in battling arthritis, and most of the reviews I've read on the product that I use say that their dogs responded great to it, but there are some that it has failed to help. Cetyl-M is also used on horses with great success.

Here's the one I use, you can read the reviews and see if it's worth trying. https://www.amazon.com/Response-Cou...e=UTF8&qid=1534363095&sr=8-3&keywords=cetyl-m

#6 ·
I believe how well glucosamine works is dependent on how seriously degraded the condition of the joint is. If there is virtually no cartilage remaining and the joint is literally bone on bone, there is not much that will really help. As long as there is even just a little cartilage left that can be lubricated, glucosamine may have some positive effects, and may prolong the life of the joint. I don't use it for our dog, she has health issues, but not arthritis, but I take if for me. and I'm convinced it does help. It also is not harmful to take, which is a plus.

#7 ·
If your dog is not showing any mobility issues at the moment then any joint supplement should really be fine.

But as shadow mentioned, there are a several different supplements out there and they each work on the body in different ways. So getting a joint product that contains at least two different supplements would be ideal.

This article explains the different supplements nicely:
Joint supplements for dogs: The helpful vs. the hype

One of my dogs is just two and one of her back legs (knee) is not very stable. It usually has a slight give (limp) when she walks. An xray showed that the knee is a bit out of place and the vet thinks her ACL might be torn. She would not do well with surgery so I have her on several supplements in the hope that something would help her. And she does seem a bit better than she used to be.

https://www.chewy.com/nutramax-cosequin-maximum-strength-ds/dp/101451

https://www.chewy.com/naturvet-sod-boswellia-tablets-dogs/dp/105725

https://www.chewy.com/super-snouts-joint-power-green-lipped/dp/13096

https://www.chewy.com/iceland-pure-pet-products-unscented/dp/159832

#9 ·
Nutrition for Bad Knees - Large Breed

My Pepper blew out both knees, one she had surgery on and the other I used a brace for 6 weeks...guess which one is giving her all kinds of problems ...surgery. With that being said, I had her on supplements since she blew out her first one, I used the vet recommendation for a while but found GNC Pets, Ultra Mega Hip & Joint works just fine. Since she had surgery and it's getting worse with age, I keep her on the highest dosage available with gluc/chon/msm 1500/1200/1000. I think now I'll get her some dog aspirin as it's bothering her on the steps. She's a big girl so I need her to shed about 10 lbs. (back down to 94). I'll monitor her on the aspirin and see if it helps, but I highly recommend the nutritional support.

#10 ·
Hi, just to make sure you were aware, there are several pet foods that contain glucosamine and chondroitin. It may save you some money having in your existing food rather than a supplement. Here are a few:
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Senior Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- Dogswell Happy Hips Dry Dog Food

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you DogEndorsed

Since I accidentally duplicated another posting I'll use this one to say, I had surgery on one of my dogs torn ligaments (won't do that again) and I opted for a brace on her second one, wish I had done that one for her first knee, it seems the one she had surgery on is the one giving US the most grief right now.

#14 ·
I've never tried the liquid I ran out of her supplement and bought cosequin, which does the same but not as high in the three ingredients that I normally use. I just wish I could find something that would help her mobility a little more, she's pretty hard to get in and out of the car but, at least, I don't think she's in pain as when her ligament was really bad her leg shook, now she'll run through the house, double hop up the stairs and still try to catch squirrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.