Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is still there LOL. I feel worthless because I can't speed along the process of ridding of it, and honestly do not know how long to wait until we switch treatment options. It seems as if the hair, once it started to fall out, has thinned since the medication but the spot has now grown. We have an appointment Friday for his final set of vaccines and will be asking the vet if the hairloss is still supposed to happen. I am just glad this does not hurt him, otherwise I think I would be depressed.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It takes forever to go away...Chili is still being treated @ 7 months old...

Try not to stress, :)

has it spread?
No, I mean the baldness has spread but you could see the actually thinning of the hair and the spot when we first took him in for it, does that make sense? I am assuming the hair was all thinning out when we took him in and that is why the spot was pink so in that sense no the spot is the same. The red spots are still there so we put some of the medication on the spots but those are hard to see sometimes and they are not bald.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Yeah, the hair falls out Fast and its quite alarming...the medication stops the mites lifecycle...so the mites do their worse and then can't reproduce (at least thats my understanding) so after a big bald spot you will see hair again.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the hair falls out Fast and its quite alarming...the medication stops the mites lifecycle...so the mites do their worse and then can't reproduce (at least thats my understanding) so after a big bald spot you will see hair again.
I am so tempted to buy another little bottle of it and start putting it all over his back HAHA my poor baby. He is the happiest little thing ever. Thanks btw!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
no worries...I understand the frustration. I about cried when my little nekid furkid got all his hair back and then started loosing it again.

yeah, the dogs themselves seem oblivious to it...which is nice.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ugh

:( Its spreading...just noticed more tiny spots lower on his side that were not there before. The hair is definitely coming out like the other mange spots. Calling the vet tomorrow to see if we should just put the cream on each spot as it comes up or move on to another option of treatment.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the cream helping on the original spot?
I guess. Its difficult cuz it kind of looks like the spot is spreading but it could just look that way since all the hair is falling out so the pink spot is more PINK lol ya know what I mean? Should we just use the cream on all the spots you think?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I guess. Its difficult cuz it kind of looks like the spot is spreading but it could just look that way since all the hair is falling out so the pink spot is more PINK lol ya know what I mean? Should we just use the cream on all the spots you think?

Iam not familiar with the cream...does it list an active ingrediant? I wonder what drug its based on.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is goodwinol ointment... The Use of Rotenone (Goodwinol Ointment) in Dogs and Cats

benzocaine and rotenone are the 2 main ingredients, just read a vetinfo.com thing where the vet recommends dipping but does not think this ointment actually does anything... I guess I can't freak out since I have heard bad things about dipping. Ugh I hate making decisions like "should I tell my vet this isn't working or try it on EVERY spot and take measurements on the big spot and make sure nothing grows, etc etc"

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
huh...I wish I had heard of this stuff a few hundred dollars ago...

that said, I can't find any info on how/why it works...everything just says "treats mange"

The tech I talked to whos dog also had demo when I adopted Chili said that the fastest cure was ORAL ivermectin.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
huh...I wish I had heard of this stuff a few hundred dollars ago...

that said, I can't find any info on how/why it works...everything just says "treats mange"

The tech I talked to whos dog also had demo when I adopted Chili said that the fastest cure was ORAL ivermectin.
The vet said if this stuff does not work or the mange spreads that is what we are going with. I wonder tho if maybe for localized mange they want to use something more simple? I don't know much about ivermectin but believe its a strong med right? Maybe there are more side effects so they would rather try the cream with less side effects?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
The vet said if this stuff does not work or the mange spreads that is what we are going with. I wonder tho if maybe for localized mange they want to use something more simple? I don't know much about ivermectin but believe its a strong med right? Maybe there are more side effects so they would rather try the cream with less side effects?

Localized is definetly not as serious, and som' people don't even treat it...but if its in more than a certain number of spots they begin to consider it generalized mange instead, even tho they are still in round spots. Maybe hes becoming generalized

Invermectin is pretty safe as long as you don't have collies. The use it on rabbits for mites and rabbits are pretty sensitive...

Either way I'd stay with either what your doing... or Ivermectin...the dips, well, like I mentioned to you before, som' dogs can overdose on the dips.

ETA: I found the tid bit I was looking for...here...

Localized disease does not involve more than two body regions. (One spot or two on the face and one spot or two on a leg would still qualify as localized even though the spots are not close together.)
Localized disease involves no more than 4 spots total on the dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Localized is definetly not as serious, and som' people don't even treat it...but if its in more than a certain number of spots they begin to consider it generalized mange instead, even tho they are still in round spots. Maybe hes becoming generalized

Invermectin is pretty safe as long as you don't have collies. The use it on rabbits for mites and rabbits are pretty sensitive...

Either way I'd stay with either what your doing... or Ivermectin...the dips, well, like I mentioned to you before, som' dogs can overdose on the dips.
I think we are going to try treating the spots with the cream for a week or two and if they begin getting bigger we are gonna go with ivermectin, we do have Harvick who has collie in him and possibly Peyton has some in him, but if we arent GIVING it to them then its ok right? I don't want the fact that one dog is getting it to affect my other guys...

ETA: bf is calling tomorrow to let them know how many more spots (there is more than 4 tiny spots and the one big one) will see what the vet says then, I'd rather switch over if it wont affect Harvick

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I think we are going to try treating the spots with the cream for a week or two and if they begin getting bigger we are gonna go with ivermectin, we do have Harvick who has collie in him and possibly Peyton has some in him, but if we arent GIVING it to them then its ok right? I don't want the fact that one dog is getting it to affect my other guys...

ETA: bf is calling tomorrow to let them know how many more spots (there is more than 4 tiny spots and the one big one) will see what the vet says then, I'd rather switch over if it wont affect Harvick

I think your good as long as hes not getting it on him in large doses....also, not all collies will react...your probably ok, let me know what the vet thinks :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think your good as long as hes not getting it on him in large doses....also, not all collies will react...your probably ok, let me know what the vet thinks :)
You mean as long as Harvick is not getting it on him? Or do you mean we should be ok with using the cream on Glacier as long as his spots aren't crazy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oil of oregano is great at getting rid of mange (actually it's one of those "miracle cures" for almost anything)! Tea tree oil is another good one.

This may sound a bit extreme, but I know back in "the day," they used to poor WD-40 on the dogs to get rid of mange. My husband's uncle bred hunting dogs -- he always had atleast a dozen of them, and every now and then he'd have a dog have an outbreak, and he'd take it, poor WD-40 on it and tie it to a tree away from the other dogs. Within two days the mange would be gone.
Before the war, they used motor oil.

I think it may be for the same reason they always tell us to put vaseline in our hair if we have lice -- it suffocates them, plus makes it hard for anything to hold on to. So while I don't recommend using WD-40 (LOL) it makes sense that the oil of oregano or tea-tree oil might work just as well. Back when we used all-natural products to get rid of dog lice (at my work -- and eventually we did resort to chemicals, just way better results) we used coconut based natural laundry detergent -- apparently coconut is somewhat anti-parasitic. Perhaps if you rub coconut oil on Glacier that might help too -- I think it would be suffocatign and slippery enough, plus still have the antiparastic effects.
But seriously I would try the oil of oregano too -- it's magical!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts