Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K...I am probably a bad mom for finding this somewhat amusing but Glacier humps Peyton now and when he does he "growls" and even bites him, I know male dogs sometimes do this...but he ALWAYS does it, and it reminds me of a big cat doing his thing lol.

Of course I step in sometimes when Peyton cannot get away (and Glacier is still smaller so he can't quite reach). I knock Glacier off and he settles down.

I personally feel my dogs need to establish their relationships and do not find humping as bad, but I do supervise and step in when necessary. But omg if you saw this you would laugh LOL

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
K...I am probably a bad mom for finding this somewhat amusing but Glacier humps Peyton now and when he does he "growls" and even bites him, I know male dogs sometimes do this...but he ALWAYS does it, and it reminds me of a big cat doing his thing lol.

Of course I step in sometimes when Peyton cannot get away (and Glacier is still smaller so he can't quite reach). I knock Glacier off and he settles down.

I personally feel my dogs need to establish their relationships and do not find humping as bad, but I do supervise and step in when necessary. But omg if you saw this you would laugh LOL
i wonder what the opinion is on this. if clover is in a situation with a dog that we know or if it doesn't bother the dog's owner i do the same thing and let them work it out under supervision. i will interrupt him if he seems to be getting carried away, or if the other dog's people are freaking out. at the dog park though, when one dog starts getting humpy and another finds it rude it seems to start fights so i interrupt him more often. i'm not even sure how to stop him from doing it at all if i wanted to....it seems like such a "driven" thing if that makes sense, and a natural way for the dogs to communicate. anyway, i'd appreciate thoughts and opinions here if anyone wants to share

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wonder what the opinion is on this. if clover is in a situation with a dog that we know or if it doesn't bother the dog's owner i do the same thing and let them work it out under supervision. i will interrupt him if he seems to be getting carried away, or if the other dog's people are freaking out. at the dog park though, when one dog starts getting humpy and another finds it rude it seems to start fights so i interrupt him more often. i'm not even sure how to stop him from doing it at all if i wanted to....it seems like such a "driven" thing if that makes sense, and a natural way for the dogs to communicate. anyway, i'd appreciate thoughts and opinions here if anyone wants to share
I am careful when my dog is getting into position to hump when its a strange dog but when its in my own "pack" I think its fine. HOWEVER if Glacier was to do it (to a strange dog) I think I would do what you do...wait for the reaction of the other dog or owner, but Harvick I use to stop right away because if the dog turned around and bared (sp) teeth, it would turn into a fight. Glacier is good about getting snapped AT and turning away and leaving the situation, Harvick gets snapped at (if by a male or big dog) and growls and snarls (he is amazing with small dogs and they could bite him all day and he thinks its a game lol).

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Personally I always interupt...as humping is a personal pet peeve...I had a male dog that was routinely obsessively humped, as if he where a female in heat...so it just bugs me now..

Also my "humpees" will NEVER object...Kiwi will just lay there and let a dog hump her and Emma humps the cat...lol...and the cat just lets her.

At glaciers age its more likely a "going through all the life behaviors" sort of thing...they just practice it, like they would practice hunting, so he might grow out of it...lmao tho on the lion visual.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I always interupt...as humping is a personal pet peeve...I had a male dog that was routinely obsessively humped, as if he where a female in heat...so it just bugs me now..

Also my "humpees" will NEVER object...Kiwi will just lay there and let a dog hump her and Emma humps the cat...lol...and the cat just lets her.

At glaciers age its more likely a "going through all the life behaviors" sort of thing...they just practice it, like they would practice hunting, so he might grow out of it...lmao tho on the lion visual.
LOL It is funny as bad as it sounds. I also think its because he is not neutered so he is experiences exactly what you said "life behaviors" and those dang hormones! It literally lasts 5 seconds to maybe 10 then he gives up and moves on haha.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have never had my dogs hump another, I'm guessing, like in rabbits, it's a dominace thing? My older spayed female Heidi humps teddy bears though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I have never had my dogs hump another, I'm guessing, like in rabbits, it's a dominace thing? My older spayed female Heidi humps teddy bears though :rolleyes:
my rabbit (named puppy rabbit btw) used to hump any fuzzy thing she could grab onto. in fact i had these ridiculous bunny slippers that were like giant fuzzy angora bunnies and she would chase them down to get them so much that i had to stop wearing them bc i was afraid of stepping on her! i believe it is a dominance thing.

oh and thanks for the replies guys...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my rabbit (named puppy rabbit btw) used to hump any fuzzy thing she could grab onto. in fact i had these ridiculous bunny slippers that were like giant fuzzy angora bunnies and she would chase them down to get them so much that i had to stop wearing them bc i was afraid of stepping on her! i believe it is a dominance thing.

oh and thanks for the replies guys...
I think it can be a dominance thing depending on the situation but I also think its an experimental, natural and hormonal thing.

Think about it, when an animal mounts a toy how is that dominance? You know what I mean? This is a good topic! Lets explore. My female mounts toys, why? My ferrets mount toys (I gotta get video of this cuz its not the same as a dog does) in fact it took us some time to figure out that is definitely what they were doing lol.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
most often when I see humping its a "Iam super excited OMG OMG" and then they end up humping the other dog because they don't know what to do with themselves.

Emma will hump the cat if the other dogs are playing with it...I think them playing with the cat confuses her and she doesn't know what else to do.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most often when I see humping its a "Iam super excited OMG OMG" and then they end up humping the other dog because they don't know what to do with themselves.

Emma will hump the cat if the other dogs are playing with it...I think them playing with the cat confuses her and she doesn't know what else to do.
lol poor cat

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lmao this particular cat LOVES the dogs and always seeks their attention...he never objects to the humping and at times I wonder how long hes been sitting there with a dog on him...I think he secretly likes it.
Glacier gets his nose in a certain area of the cat and he rolls onto his back (the cat does)...They are dirty animals HAHA

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think it can be a dominance thing depending on the situation but I also think its an experimental, natural and hormonal thing.

Think about it, when an animal mounts a toy how is that dominance? You know what I mean? This is a good topic! Lets explore. My female mounts toys, why? My ferrets mount toys (I gotta get video of this cuz its not the same as a dog does) in fact it took us some time to figure out that is definitely what they were doing lol.
I think your right about it being an experimental, natural and hormonal thing, from what I've seen, it's mostly single bunnies who mount objects. I think it's because it's something very natural to them (reproduction, dominace) None of my bunnies try and mount other things except each other, my bonded males do for dominace and so does my group of four females.

I'm going off topic, sorry!
I know more about bunnies then dogs lol!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
LOL Puppylove-me too! I've been researching rabbit care for four years now-I'm so behind on dogs!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
yes.....

yes to this.....:)...i agree

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts