Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend of 5 years left me, we have 2 dogs and I need to choose one

We’re both 24 and started dating in college. Our dog Roscoe (9 year old German shepherd/pitbull mix) I adopted in college 5 years ago. My girlfriend moved in a month later and he quickly became our dog. We have another dog Jake (1 year old pit-bull dachshund mix) that we adopted together 6 months ago. We agreed to split the dogs up and that I would have first pick and I can’t decide for the life of me. My ex is the reason I have become a dog lover and I know that both dogs will be taken care of extremely well whichever way this goes.

Roscoe was my first dog that was really mine. We have 5 years worth of great memories together. He is very emotionally in touch (very human-like) and is the sweetest dog ever. When he’s in the mood, he tucks his head into my chest and slowly starts to melt into me starting a huge pup-love session. He got me through some rough times with friends in college and means the world to me. My ex and Roscoe have the same connection. He is also extremely well behaved. All my family and friends I’ve talked to say to absolutely keep Roscoe. I worry I will regret not spending Roscoe’s senior years with him. But I also fear that possible losing him alone in the near future would hurt more.

Jake: I had always joked about wanting a brindle pit-bull dachshund mix and when we stumbled upon one, after already discussing wanting a second dog, we jumped on it. Jake is such a cutie, and a huge cuddle bug. Massive goofball too, always makes me laugh. He follows me everywhere around the house and always needs to be by your side (he did the same thing for my ex too). It’s nice getting that much attention while I’m coping with the breakup. He also gets attention everywhere he goes, everyone stops you because of this dog (he’s that cute). I will have more time with Jake as he is younger. He is a little harder to take care of (sometimes destructive when left alone, and leash-reactive).

If it were left to the dogs, Jake wouldn’t care either way. Roscoe I’m not sure about. He spends way more time with her (she works from home and I work in an office and travel every once in a while). But when we are together Roscoe loves me lots. I’ve been struggling with this for days and I know I just need to make a decision so I can start to accept losing one of them but I need advice.

· Registered
2,321 Posts
Well, this is just my take on what you said in your post.......and since that information is of necessity limited, my opinion is not really worth much. But from what you say it sounds to me as if you and Roscoe are more bonded than you are with the other dog.

I think what I might do if I were in this situation, is spend some time quietly alone and imagine my life with only one of the dogs. Daily life, weekends, travel, etc. Then do the same with only the other dog. Spend 10 minutes at least imagining each scenario. It's possible when you are done you will know which one you need to keep with you.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is just my take on what you said in your post.......and since that information is of necessity limited, my opinion is not really worth much. But from what you say it sounds to me as if you and Roscoe are more bonded than you are with the other dog.

I think what I might do if I were in this situation, is spend some time quietly alone and imagine my life with only one of the dogs. Daily life, weekends, travel, etc. Then do the same with only the other dog. Spend 10 minutes at least imagining each scenario. It's possible when you are done you will know which one you need to keep with you.
Thank you! This is something I haven't tried yet. I think this might be very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.