Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't have a ton of pictures yet, since the past two days have been kind of tough. I also started this post on Saturday night, but fell asleep while Ginny slept, so I'll just finish it up.

Saturday, arrival day, saw me not so great at catching pee warning signs. I was with her, but misinterpreted pee-place sniffing for checking-this-place-out sniffing. She also seems to sometimes pee while sitting. So there were three accidents, but that's what Nature's Miracle is for. It's also why at bedtime I decided to do the crate without acclimation first. She didn't whine for too long.

We also had issues with food. None of the copious books I read thought it worthwhile to point out that sometimes puppies won't want to eat at all. I had hoped to use a lot of her daily food for training, but she wouldn't touch it. She would, however, touch chicken hearts and the Orijen I got for switching her to later. Soooo, upset stomach party by the end of the night. I should have known better. But I wanted something to train with...

Oh, and then she hardly slept. A few short naps, but that was it. She didn't really go to sleep until 1 or so.

Today, Sunday, ended up freaking me out a lot. She slept a lot and soundly, but after vomiting, she wouldn't eat anything. Poop, as I expected, turned to diarrhea. By noon, lots of great outside pottying, but she still wouldn't eat, so potty training was reduced to praise and petting. Got some yogurt per the breeder's rec, and that she ate. Probably way too much, but I was just happy to get something in her. She still slept most of the day, and was more fearful and not very playful. After the yogurt, though, her playful side came back out. She just still wouldn't touch anything else.

Out of desperation, I made some super soggy Stella and Chewies (dehydrated raw) that I had gotten for filling Kongs, and of course she scarfed that. It won't help the diarrhea, but it should be good and filling. We also did really well with pottying outside, even with the diarrhea and no treats for reinforcement.

She did have one accident on Sunday and it was totally one of those "Wow, really?" moments. Some diarrhea had slipped out of her butt while sleeping, so after cleaning her up, I walked into the next room to grab the Nature's Miracle, and when I came back, she was finishing a nice big pee. But that was so on me. I was just sad because that was right before bedtime and we almost made it through the day with no accidents.

She started getting sleepy around 9, and so at 10 I started her in the kennel. No whining, since she fell right asleep. The end of the day was much better than the beginning, even with the accident!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now today! She slept really well! We got up hourly for potty breaks last night, and then she slept from 4 to 6:30, which is perfect because that's what I want to be her regular wake up time.

And then!! She ate breakfast!!! Of her normal food, hooray!

So this morning has been a lot more what I was expecting and what will probably be the norm. She doesn't like much food or treats when she's full, but string cheese seems to work. So there's been string cheese for pottying, and I tried to use it to prime the clicker, but when I'm standing, she doesn't find the food, and if I'm sitting, she's just staring at me expectantly, so we didn't push clicker stuff yet.

It's now 9 and after a gross but less liquidy poo, she's sleeping! Hooray! Time for a shower and some breakfast.

But first, some pictures like I promised! None too exciting since I'm not good at remembering to take pictures when she's playing.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Awww tummy troubles are the worst! It doesn't help that I'm sure you're totally freaking out about her not eating. Levi didn't eat for the first two days he was home. And don't panic, you'll have many more days of crying and swearing ahead of you. ;)

I can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww tummy troubles are the worst! It doesn't help that I'm sure you're totally freaking out about her not eating. Levi didn't eat for the first two days he was home. And don't panic, you'll have many more days of crying and swearing ahead of you. ;)

I can't wait to see pics!
Thank you! I was totally freaking out. Yesterday was a practice in "I don't need to call the vet, this is just adjustment..."

And finally I DID post pictures, omg.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh. My. God. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. She's seriously so cute. Ugh, my puppy fever is in full effect.

Reactions: jclark343 and Sha

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
She is absolutely adorable! Congrats on bringing her home and I hope things only go up from now on :).

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, guys! She is super adorable, for sure. We're all in love with her. <3

She is also very much a little land-shark. Redirecting to other toys works for all of about two seconds... ;P

·
Registered
579 Posts
She is gorgeous! So glad she is finally yours!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all! The year long wait was totally worth it. :)

She's napping now after her lunch. She was being super bitey and I thought she might be hungry, but she wouldn't touch her regular food (Eukanuba large puppy, which has a surprisingly good rating, but is still Eukanuba). Finally thought to bring her some other food, and yep, went to town. Hyperdrive land-shark returned to regular land-shark levels. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I may have to steel her, jk. I love rough collies (I have a soft spot for foofy dogs if you cant tell lol :eyeroll:.).
Your description of her landsharkedness made me laugh.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pet Supplies : Aussie Naturals Small Crinkle Toys - Duck : Amazon.com

This seemed to make quite a difference by bedtime tonight. She would look at the things she wanted to chew on (there are some boxes in "her" room still) and instead come bite it! Apparently it is a very appealing shape for her, even though she's nowhere big enough to bite the actually big crinkly part.

Question: How did you all deal with scary noises? We had a bit of a snafu today. I've been working on getting her used to the leash, with her just wandering around wearing it, and then today I actually held it to try to get her to focus on pottying in a particular spot instead of wandering all over the lawn to find a new place to go. While I was holding it, a neighbor kid started playing, and she freaked out and ran and jumped against the end of the leash super hard. I tried to get slack as quick as I could, but holy cows, she was freaked out by the sound and then the leash made it even worse.

Also, when we were out trying to potty, a chainsaw nearby interrupted her train of thought. She started to run away, so I just started chain-feeding her some treats while the sound went on. Was that the right way to handle it? The only other thing we could have done to help her feel more safe would have been to go back inside, but that wouldn't have really been handling the issue, I feel like.

Also, loud, quick sounds? My husband laughed (he has a reallllly deep, gravelly voice) and it freaked her out, but it was over before I could even react. She's already adjusting to other loud sounds... I'm guessing as she hears things more often, she'll adjust without any real help from me needed, right?

I'm probably over-thinking all of this, as I'm prone to do, so I appreciate any answers, but also understand that I'm being a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We pretty much just left the windows open so that she'd get used to noises, but I wish I'd caught on to hand feeding her out on the porch. It made potty outside a much less stressful time.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You pretty much do your best and go from there, course I say this now that I'm a season first time dog mom lol. For noises we did a lot of "listen to that" training which helped a lot, and for the scary stuff we'd reward for curiosity and redirect to something fun or better if she freaked. Not perfect but it worked. I will also suggest time outs in a another room for land sharking, work amazingly well when Tessa turned me into the worlds largest squeaky toy.

I think the only sage advice I can offer is...relax. You've only been together for a few days, I know training is important and all but enjoy the puppiness. Take time to be you and let her be her. Also with the eating/vomiting/runs thing, that would be a great dog book suggestion. I never had the no-eating issue, but she did have weird poop and a little vomit the first few days.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Both of my guys were pretty fearless and confident (which honestly, comes with its own set of problems). Nothing seemed to bother them. Heidi had a slight fear of the vacuum, and Levi had a thing about sewer grates, but other than that noises didn't seem to phase them.
I would open the window and CC, or play a CD with traffic noises (you can get them from a lot of pet websites). If she was from a rural area, or kept inside a lot she just might not be used to household noises yet.
I agree with @KayWilson - enjoy her being a teeny little, sweet puppy. It vanishes before you know it. I feel like we just brought Heidi home, and now she's already 10 months old!

Reactions: Sha and KayWilson

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It vanishes before you know it. I feel like we just brought Heidi home, and now she's already 10 months old!
Lol I feel the same way, only Tessa just turned 3 years old last January!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts