Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about my dog having loose stools and just found out he has giardia. I thought I would start a new thread hoping someone will come along that has dealt with this before. I understand it can be passed to humans also! We have him on Flagyl and will start the others when they get picked up today or tomorrow but the vet said I had to bleach everything etc. Can anyone here help me with this issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, we just did our parasitology. Giardia is a protozoan parasite that normally lives in the gut in low numbers quite harmlessly in all creatures, however certain events will occasionally trigger them to become an issue in the animal. Giarda can be very serious, even leading to death but it is quit treatable with Flagyl, so make sure you do as the vet recommends for treatment. It is important to have excellent hygiene at this time, wash your hands as often as you can after handling your dog, pick up all faeces in a plastic bag, disinfect areas where the dog may spend a lot of time etc etc

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Chili had Giardia...just use common sence hygiene, you don't have to disinfect the ceilings or anything..

Its very treatable, should clear up pretty quick. Dirty, standing water is usually the culprit.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts