Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week, at Cece's well visit with the vet, it was discovered that she had Giardia. At that time, she was asymptomatic. Gave her the Pancur granules as directed and hoped for the best. A few days after she started Pancur, she started having diarrhea, which worsened after the 7 day course of Pancur was finished. Went back to the vet yesterday, where they restarted Pancur and added flagyl and a probiotic. In combination with the meds and the typical rice and boiled chicken diet, the diarrhea has FINALLY stopped, which I am so thankful for, but she hasn't had a bowel movement in almost 24 hours. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Her energy level is little bit lower than usual, but otherwise she has a good appetite and has been drinking pretty regularly. Thanks so much in advanced!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope that you have called your vet by now and asked this question.

This is definitely a question that can quickly and accurately be answered by your vet. I don't think that 24 hours of no bowel movement is alarming after the dog has had prolonged diarrhea. But, if the dog goes more than 2 days without a BM - yes, call your vet immediately.

I hope your dog is cured! Diarrhea is a miserable thing for them to endure. Poor baby....

Jules

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Check with your Vet to be sure, but its possible that as a result of diarrhea for a week, her system was completely cleared out, and it could be a day or two before she starts having 'regular' movement cycles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts