Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When choosing your dog, did expense play a factor?

At the pet store the other day we were walking around looking at the "giant" everything and happened to notice the huge expense difference.. when we chose our dog we chose him based on how "good" he was with our children.. size didnt really "matter" much. Thinking back about how much we spent on raw food for our 4lb dachshund she was "cheap" I couldnt help but wonder if I would put out the same expense on food for my hypothetical giant breed.. she could go through $30-40 a month in raw food, the expense would be at least three times that in a much bigger breed. Our new dog is more than four times the weight of her so clearly he will eat more which will be a greater expense but again, it wasnt something we really "thought" about feeding raw is just something we "do" and im eager for the day for him to start eating it ...

Does the expense play a factor in the type of food you feed? How so (or not)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
my next dog will be small (whenever that will be not in a dog friendly situation at the moment). it will be my first small dog my family has previously owned labs, GSD and a lab/BC.

I decided to go small because of several reasons.

1. Im renting and probably will for a long time and want to live in a city. Although there are lots of dog friendly parks in London and England I can't really see how I would provide enough space and exercise even for a medium dog. Also landlords to prefer smaller dogs. quarantine and boarding are sometimes cheaper.

2. I want to travel I want to have a dog that I can easily take with me to trips in continental europe and have on trains and buses (thats allowed in europe)

3. I don't have a car and I probably won't ever be able to drive because of a minor neurological disorder. Getting the dog to a groomer or to the vet for a check up or an emergency would be easier if its smaller. Also Im very small and rather weak I want to be able to pick the dog up if its injured or seriously sick.

I have considered raw feeding or homecooked but i will make my final decision when i get a dog the way things are it might be a few years :(

price of food doesn't worry me that much its other costs that Im concerned with such as vet bills and so on and they can be big no matter the size of the dog

·
Registered
245 Posts
Expense is the main reason our next dog will be between 20-30 lbs. I am not against big dogs, but I have to look at the budget realistically. Given 2 normal, healthy dogs, the bigger one will usually be more expensive in terms of food, vet care, supplies, etc... Our labs are not giant by any measure, but they do eat much more than my mother's rat terrier. I want to be able to feed the best I possibly can and a smaller dog makes that much easier. Of course, we will stretch if needed. We originally budgeted Deuce's meals off what Sam eats, because they are almost the same size. Weeeeeellllll......he eats almost 3x as much :eek: We stayed with the same food line, just had to rework the monthly expenses, but I would rather not have quite as much day in, day out expense if at all possible the next time around. So when we go looking at the rescues (crossing fingers for late winter/spring!), size is near the top of my list.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I don't base what I feed off size. We've always had large dogs- smallest is probably Nyla and she's at around 63lb right now. I feed what I feel is best for them and what works for us. Yes, everything is more expensive for large dogs (food, toys, collars, etc) but I don't mind. I like big dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Expense doesn't factor in for me. I don't dislike small dogs at all but am definitely more of a "big dog person."

Currently I have two large dogs. Bernie is 80lbs (working down to 75lbs and I'll be happy with him.) And I think Archer will mature to be anywhere between 60-75lbs.

I have some ideas for the breed I would like next. I love the giant breeds but I always rescue so what I end up with is always up in the air. Archer was the LAST kind of dog I wanted, but here I am! Ha ha.

I'm thinking I'll be looking at getting an adult Doberman from a rescue as my next dog, though. If I'm going the giant breed route I've always wanted a St. Bernard or Bernese Mountain Dog.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I think anyone looking at a large or giant breed dog needs to be aware that they simply cost more. They cost more to feed (regardless of the type of food), they cost more to equip (collars and other gear), they cost more to vet and medicate..... And there needs to be a realistic assessment of that in comparison to availible budget.

Personally, I feed both my dogs raw, and in general it works out less expensive than feeding the really high end kibbles. But it is something that I budget for.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
When I get my own dog in a few years it will most likely be a small or a smaller medium dog, partly because of expense (food and veterinary). Partly because it's easier to find places to live with small dogs. And partly because I just generally prefer smaller sized dogs.

The only thing I worry about is walking the dog alone at night- in the winter here it gets very dark very early. I wouldn't have to worry about being mugged, kidnapped, etc if I had a big dog. Not so sure about a small one though.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've never really looked at size when considering a dog, it's just whether I like the dog or not. Guinness is my smallest dog at 40lbs vs our old lab and our other family dogs. They were big boys. But I tend to buy my food in bigger bags, and yeah I get frustrated when I go to the pet store and see the small dog toys about a fraction of the price of the toy that I was getting for Guinness. But it's common sense, the bigger the item the more material it takes to make it, so I don't let it bother me much anymore.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
No, I didn't factor in costs, but I did want a dog that was easy to travel with after lugging around 150lb Mastiffs. Temperament and looks played the biggest role in my decision. I wanted a dog that was small and portable, but didn't have the fragile and dainty look of toy breeds and I don't like typical toy breed temperament. I wanted a dog bred for a job (not saying toys dont have a job), so Doxie it is; they truly are big dogs in little dog bodies.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Yeah, I've never really given much consideration to my dog costing more to care for than smaller ones. I suppose food would be the main thing, but he only eats 2-2.5 cups a day of high end kibble so a 30 pound bags at around $75 lasts me about a month.

I think the only time it really was apparent was when he a puppy and going for his neuter. The vet had two different prices for over and under 50 pounds. I got him in at 48 pounds and it cost me about $250 less.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I looked at Calypso one day and imagined her scaled up to Standard Poodle size. I pretty much panicked at the thought of 50 lbs of Calypso.

...That would be why I have a little dog. ;)

My main dog expense is unquestionably the amount of extra money I spend to rent a house with a fenced-in yard (versus a dinky upper story apartment). That would be the same regardless of dog size.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My main expense is agility classes and other classes. I'm usually in about 4 at a time. It adds up. But it's not dependent on size.

I do strongly prefer small to medium dogs. The largest breeds I'd get would be a border collie or an aussie. Aussies are pushing the size limit though. I prefer 20-30 lbs.

I love my toy dogs but size was the exception when I got them. I wouldn't have a very small sized dog that wasn't a papillon, most likely. I do like that toy breeds live a long time. Summer's relatives all made it to 16. She's 9 years old and fit and very athletic still.

My main concerns when choosing a dog breed is athletic ability, good build for agility (lighter weight to height ratio, no dwarfism, relatively normal proportions, not huge), breed temperament- I want a dog that will want to work and play with me. Biddability and some drive please. Breed health and longevity. Those are my main concerns. I will probably only ever have herders and papillons.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wanted a lap dog that could stay inside most of the time.
That was the primary reason for my choice.
Cost was secondary.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I like medium to XL dogs and I don't factor in expense other than choosing a good breeder so that I will not have to shell out thousands upon thousands of dollars on diseases due to poor genetics.

Food is a bit more expensive, but not too bad.

The spay/neuter for a large dog is a bit pricey, too, but I found a great clinic that does all sizes for $80 and they are very good at it. I was more pleased with them than the regular vets I used, so that's no biggie.

Toys and collars and harnesses are also spendy for the big guys, but I order handmade from a home business and the work is so amazingly quality that they last forever. Thankfully, I haven't gone over the deep end yet and started a doggie fashion collection, lol.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I like medium to XL dogs and I don't factor in expense other than choosing a good breeder so that I will not have to shell out thousands upon thousands of dollars on diseases due to poor genetics.

Food is a bit more expensive, but not too bad.

The spay/neuter for a large dog is a bit pricey, too, but I found a great clinic that does all sizes for $80 and they are very good at it. I was more pleased with them than the regular vets I used, so that's no biggie.

Toys and collars and harnesses are also spendy for the big guys, but I order handmade from a home business and the work is so amazingly quality that they last forever. Thankfully, I haven't gone over the deep end yet and started a doggie fashion collection, lol.
don't you have a male american bulldog? if you do I think he would look wonderful in a doggy suit but the basset would look better in a tuxedo, the girls should get something classy but not pink and princessy, you know to start your doggie fashion collection :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Cost was a consideration but.......I had no intention of getting another dog as when I got ill 5 years ago, I had to rehome my 2 Cairn terriers and it broke my heart! Then 2 1/2 years ago I moved into this Apt and when I found out dogs under 25# were allowed I started thinking......but what held me back for another year was the fact of a $350.00 pet deposit......Well, so much for good intentions once that fluffy butt sat itself in my lap! Thank goodness her actual cost was practically nothing since she was from an oops litter in the neighborhood and I gave her the puppy shots (retired vet assist)and her exam and spay were done through a low cost program for seniors. I also worked out the pet deposit with monthly payments. Although it puts a pretty big dent in my budget to groom her and to feed her a high quality diet, Molly repays me daily with the joy she brings to my life!!!!

I Love My Fluff!!!!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
don't you have a male american bulldog? if you do I think he would look wonderful in a doggy suit but the basset would look better in a tuxedo, the girls should get something classy but not pink and princessy, you know to start your doggie fashion collection :D
Shush, you! My husband already thinks Ike (the AB) needs a fedora and Owen (the Hound) needs one of those Sherlock Holmes hats and a tench coat. He's also pretty sure Renee's color is a pale pink (and I HATE pink) because it looks so stunning against her brindle patches and she could use a shirt or two. Rita's signature color is red and I am sure she'd look great in a matching collar and plumed hat.

I only want some of those bandanna's someone here linked a while ago. "Money Pit" for Rita. "I'm with the crazy dog lady" for Ike. "Ain't nothin' but a hound dog" for Owen. "I'm the reason we can't have nice things" for Renee.

Bandanna's, the gateway dog fashion drug.

Back on topic, though, I don't think expense should be a concern other than choosing a breeder that gives you the best chance for a healthy dog and normal vet bills. Considering the hours of entertainment dogs provide, the companionship, and the hours one could spend training and/or competing for the price of a good dog of any breed and it's upkeep we humans really are getting a bargain.

I know a lot of people who have sizable entertainment and beauty products budgets that don't get in return half of what I get from the dogs for a lot less money. Just chuck your usual silly expenses money into the bank for dog emergencies and let your life go to the dogs, so to speak. It's so freeing and relaxing.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Cost was a consideration but.......I had no intention of getting another dog as when I got ill 5 years ago, I had to rehome my 2 Cairn terriers and it broke my heart! Then 2 1/2 years ago I moved into this Apt and when I found out dogs under 25# were allowed I started thinking......but what held me back for another year was the fact of a $350.00 pet deposit......Well, so much for good intentions once that fluffy butt sat itself in my lap! Thank goodness her actual cost was practically nothing since she was from an oops litter in the neighborhood and I gave her the puppy shots (retired vet assist)and her exam and spay were done through a low cost program for seniors. I also worked out the pet deposit with monthly payments. Although it puts a pretty big dent in my budget to groom her and to feed her a high quality diet, Molly repays me daily with the joy she brings to my life!!!!

I Love My Fluff!!!!!
Prime example of how someone who wants to can make it work! Good for you!

My sister had an allergy Pit named Diamond. Sweet dog, just needed better food (grain and chicken allergies as well as environmental), some cheap store brand benedryl for a month or two during allergy season, and a trip to the local country vet for ear infection treatment. She also needed her ears cleaned a few times a week. Total cost for the vet visit and meds $145. total cost for food about $15 more per month. And the ear cleaner that works well is about $25 for a couple months worth.

My sister had her tax return money and had budgeted for a lavish birthday party for her twins (bouncy house, catering, $5oo present per kid) and a used car/minivan. I told her to knock a hundred off the car budget and another hundred off the party budget and VOILA!..dog care covered. She refused and took diamond to the Humane Society. (I would have taken her myself, but I am at my city's legal dog limit and couldn't)

My own sister *shame* would rather take her dog to a shelter than pull a little here and a little there to care for her. Terrible!

If people want to make it work they can find a way and they should!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
any dog has the potential to be expensive low food budget is not going to make a big difference if the chihuahua breaks a leg.

However too few people are honest enough with themselves when choosing a breed or a dog. I live in a big town now and lived in London for two years and I find it difficult to understand how people can have huskies and pointers in cities especially if you are renting and don't have a car. In London not having a car and using public transport is the norm. I know its not impossible but I think it takes more dedication than what most ordinary dog owners are willing to give.

I looked after a tiny yorkie for a week when I lived in London and I was amazed at how easy all the practical stuff was like walking and we also went on the train and went to a park that would have been a nightmare with a lab.

On the other hand when I lived in rural Iceland making sure a small dog is safe all the time would have been harder. There we had a car so transport was not a problem and I would take my dogs on long walks in the countryside where there are rocks steep hills and mountains and not having to worry about the dog being extremely fragile made things easy.

so it all depends on you situation.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Mjjean that sort of thing annoys me what do people expect when they get a dog or any animal. Do they think that their pet is magically never going to have any issues serious or minor? we all get sick with something in our lives same goes with animals and its just absurd to get rid of a dog with such a fixable issue.

My experience is that people think about food budget and buying toys or even clothes for their dog but never consider vet bills beyond vaccinations and maybe spay and neuter.

Im having an argument with my family over the family cat they don't think the matter is as urgent as i believe it is. My rule is if I was having these symptoms would I go to the doctor if the answer is yes the animal is going to the vet simple.

Major pet peeve is when people have a puppy or a dog they have had for a short time and they say I can't afford it. If you can't afford it why did you get a dog in the first place?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts