Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking today about Xylitol in some peanut butters. when I first found out about it I thought to myself, "shouldn't they at least put labels on them to warn pet owners that they're unsafe?" and I just remembered it today.
I was thinking if it would still be a good idea. like just a small label or sticker on the side of the jar to let pet owners know not to use it, because not every pet owner uses the internet or knows about it. what's everyone else's views on this? would it be a good idea or no? if i made a petition for it, would it be signed?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not really to knowledgeable about what the fda does and doesn't require manufacturers to put on labels. As far as I know there aren't to many peanut butter brands that have it yet, and I think it is stated on labels.
I think the best bet is to get the information out there about how dangerous xylitol is to dogs. Mostly because peanut butter is sold for human consumption, so I don't think most companies will go out of their way to put a toxic for pets on things unless its a chemical or manufactured for pets/pet related products. Unfortuently I think it might be like trying to get every piece of chocolate or raisins /grapes labeled with toxic for dogs, and while one thing may be toxic to one kind of animal it may not be to another so its a bit hard to regulate.

I do agree that it is a important thing for pet parents to know. I also think some other things that dogs can eat contain it. I found this website that lists products that contain xylitol Xylitol Products | Preventive Vet. I think it would be a great idea to figure out a way to get information out there to pet parents about how xylitol (and other things) is harm full to dogs.
If you do decided to make a petition though I would definitely sign and share it.

Reactions: Kiba

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I also think it would be a good idea. It's not asking for something outlandish and it's not looking to boycott peanut butters or anything. It might even be promotional for brands that don't have it to have "dog friendly" stickers on their jars. But I think if you make a petition (and I would sign and share it!) you should first find out which brands use xylitol and address it to them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not really to knowledgeable about what the fda does and doesn't require manufacturers to put on labels. As far as I know there aren't to many peanut butter brands that have it yet, and I think it is stated on labels.
I think the FDA is mainly concerned with human toxicity. Animal toxicity would probably be jurisdiction of the USDA which is charged with animal feed.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think the FDA is mainly concerned with human toxicity. Animal toxicity would probably be jurisdiction of the USDA which is charged with animal feed.
Usda is more agricultural like farms related things.(this is through some quick reading) within the FDA the center of veterinary medicine regulates animal feed (pet food), animal drugs and vetrinary devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts