Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost it this morning with Aayla. Normally she wakes up 6:30am, I take her out to go potty, and then I lay down on the couch. She normally ends up getting up on the couch, gets pet and scratched (she normally is pretty excited) then lays down next to me and sleeps for another hour.

For the past week she has been waking up between 5-5:30am. I go to bed at 11:00-11:30pm. So I'm going to work with about 6 hours of sleep each day. I'm the type of person that NEEDS 8, or I'm not functional. I already have been dragging a bit from the past 4 months of waking up at 6-6:30 with her. If I'm lucky I can go to bed at 10:00 but that doesn't happen often.

When she wakes up, she cries so I take her out to go pee and then put her straight back into her crate. No playing, no talking, no lights. She does not settle at all. She paces, circles and cries non-stop. She isn't overly stressed. She sometimes will sit down quietly, before starting it back up. She just wants out. I can not have her getting me up at 5:00am. She doesn't need to go potty, if I take her out again and ask her to go potty she goes outside and stares at me through the sliding glass door.

She loves her crate, sprints (I really mean sprints) into her crate when I tell her to go to bed. She easily settles down at night, its just the morning that is driving me batty. Every morning she will fall back asleep on the couch with me, but won't in her crate.

I have kept her in her crate regardless of how much she cries (after a potty outing) until at least 6:10. Then after that I wait until she lays down and is quiet. This morning it wasn't happening. It started at 5:00am and at 6:35 she was still pacing and whining at me.

She never gets fed until after 7:30. She gets an 45min-1.5 hour walk every morning. Then training/playing with toys every night. She gets plenty of mental stimulation through several training sessions. I get home at 7:40 at night, by the time I make dinner, and get any chores done its like 9:30. I'm honestly thinking of taking her out for a 20 minute walk at night regardless. I'm just not sure.

Any ideas? What can I do? I snapped this morning at her, I was so tired. It was wrong but I just don't know what else to do.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I used to have a Kong ready for Levi in the morning. I would zombie walk to let him out, grab the Kong, put him in his crate, give him his Kong, zombie walk to bed, and sleep for a while. I found 9/10 he was hungry, and some food helped to settle him.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I agree with Shandula, does she have anything in her crate? Forbes would wake up wired, would chew on his nylabone until he eventually wore himself back to sleep. Other then hearing the gnawing of the nylabone, I am usually able to sleep through it now.

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Wondering, because Sam has started doing this. Could it be with the sun rising earlier their internal clocks are resetting?

Interesting.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
You might want to up the exercise in conjunction with the kong. Just so you have an EXTRA tired dog every night until she can sleep that long. Or wake her up during her naps during the day when you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have that same experience with my dog. Instead of being hungry though, he just wants to get up in to bed. I don't know how to get him to stop whining and waking us up. We put him to bed around 9pm, and he is ready for bed. Then around 330am he will start to whine. When we let him out to see if he needs to go to the bathroom he just hops in to bed to try and cuddle and sleep with us.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went through the exact same thing with my dog about a month ago. We ended up buying a baby gate and letting him sleep in my room.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped giving her things to chew on while in her crate two months ago. She is a very very loud chewer. She snorts, throws it around, rolls on her back and kicks the walls of the crate. I might try a kong though, she is quieter about that. Two days ago I just her and Kota out for 20 minutes to our little community private dog park. They ran around and she slept till 6:40, so I'm guessing that might be the key. This morning she slept till 7:00am (actually making so I didn't have time to shower this morning...we went to dog beach yesterday) So more exercise I guess is the key.
@harleyboysmom - She gets up long before the sun comes up, so I don't think she goes by that. -_-
@AnimalLover - She won't just sleep in the room, she tries to play with us and jumps all over me and my BF's faces. So that's out of the question. Plus I want her to be good in the crate and not learn that every time she wants out to play she gets out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If she figures out that barking makes you come see her and open the crate then she will do that as soon as she wakes up instead if waiting for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this isn't a recent thread but I can't help but wonder...how old is she? Why is she waking up early to use the bathroom and why are you answering her calls? Even as a puppy..if you stop all water 2 hours before bed and take them out for poo and pee they should be fine for 8 hours at least. She's reached the point were she's deciding when she thinks it's time for YOU to get up and let her out. It should be the other way around. If she's still young and you're really concerned that she needs to go then you should only be doing it when she's quiet. Not when she's making any sort of noise. Otherwise it seems like she's just ready to be let out and she knows the way to get you to do. You need to correct this behavior now or you're going to have a very demanding dog..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like you found the key to the problem is more exercise. I had the same issue with my girl. She got 1 hour off leash in the morning, 30 min - 1hour in afternoon and some intermittent training/play. I found though that she was restless and pacing the next morning.

My solution was that I rigged together a flirt-pole and play with her for 15-20 minutes before bed around 10-10:30 PM outside. It REALLY tires her out and quite quickly too as it's lots of sprinting, quick changes of direction, and leaping. I didn't start this with her until about 1 year to avoid pressure on her joints and I give her little breaks between spurts.

She now sleeps much more soundly and I don't have to worry about doing a proper walk in the evening. It's so much easier to just stand there and wave the pole around and it gets her much more tired then a leashed walk :thumbsup:

I made my flirt pole by taking an old dressage riding whip I had lying around (sturdy, but nice and flexible), some thin rope (not stretchy since the whip is stretchy), and tied the remains of a once-stuffed animal to the end. In the beginning she had no idea what this game was about and I had to train her on it, now she LOVES it and gets all bouncy when she seems me grab it from the corner by the door.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know this isn't a recent thread but I can't help but wonder...how old is she? Why is she waking up early to use the bathroom and why are you answering her calls? Even as a puppy..if you stop all water 2 hours before bed and take them out for poo and pee they should be fine for 8 hours at least. She's reached the point were she's deciding when she thinks it's time for YOU to get up and let her out. It should be the other way around. If she's still young and you're really concerned that she needs to go then you should only be doing it when she's quiet. Not when she's making any sort of noise. Otherwise it seems like she's just ready to be let out and she knows the way to get you to do. You need to correct this behavior now or you're going to have a very demanding dog..
Posted via Mobile Device
She was 5 months old at the point of time when this happened.

She was being put in her crate around 10pm and waking up at 5, so she was holding it about 7 hours. Sometimes when you gotta go you gotta go. So I took her out and put her immediately back into her crate and then ignored her until I was ready to get up and she was quiet. I ended up figuring out that she needed a little extra exercise in the evenings was our answer. So now she gets more toy playing time or a 20 minute walk in the evening.

Now at 6 months she doesn't make any noise normally until 7am, which is when I need to get up anyways. Now she doesn't cry, she just stands up and shakes her collar, which wakes me up because It's my time to get up. Though this morning I was almost late for work because she didn't wake me up until 7:50 when I leave at 8:00am.

@travelingswift We don't really have this problem anymore, but exercise was something that helped! She is only 6 months old so I will probably be waiting another year before introducing any flirt pole. Though that is a wonderful tool for non-puppies! I used to use that for my other high strung pup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.