Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my puppy, though right now am not convinced that I'll ever feel the bond with her that I did with my last dog.
Right now she's almost 11 months and I'm just getting tired. I keep thinking I've gotten her to an easier place, and then something new happens.
I never intended to get a puppy, as my lifestyle is not really fit for that. I've had to take a bit of a break from classes because my wedding is coming up, and that means I've fallen down on training without the structure of the classes.
We've found some methods of dealing with her that help, like taking her for a run at the park. Though it seems she would ideally have two hour long runs (morning and afternoon).
The newest thing is the crate/night time. She's been perfect in the crate (though difficult to get in). We had her sleeping in the crate for a few months, but had her sleeping in our bed on and off for awhile. She could make it through a 9 hour night before she started whining in her crate. In our bed she often wakes up in the middle of the night expecting to go out, which I am just not up for. So she's been spending more nights in the crate, or being put in the crate if she wakes us up in the middle of the night.

In the last week she peed on the floor in the bedroom twice when we were trying to settle down to go to sleep (she's had no other accidents for a couple months). And then the last two nights she was in the crate and woke up at 3:15 both nights whining and barking. The first night we brought her out (after waiting for her to stop whining before we let her out) and put her right back in the crate. Last night I just thought "this is ridiculous". If I put her in the crate at 10:30 AM (which is pretty typical with my work schedule), she wouldn't have a way out until 5:30 when I got home. So I decided she needed to stay in until 5:30. She whined and barked the whole time, keeping me up.
So needless to say, I'm a sleepless wreck and completely unsure about how to handle this new habit of hers.
Hopefully over the summer it will get easier, as I'm working at a camp and can bring her most days, so she'll run herself ragged there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I love my puppy, though right now am not convinced that I'll ever feel the bond with her that I did with my last dog.
Right now she's almost 11 months and I'm just getting tired. I keep thinking I've gotten her to an easier place, and then something new happens.
I never intended to get a puppy, as my lifestyle is not really fit for that. I've had to take a bit of a break from classes because my wedding is coming up, and that means I've fallen down on training without the structure of the classes.
We've found some methods of dealing with her that help, like taking her for a run at the park. Though it seems she would ideally have two hour long runs (morning and afternoon).
The newest thing is the crate/night time. She's been perfect in the crate (though difficult to get in). We had her sleeping in the crate for a few months, but had her sleeping in our bed on and off for awhile. She could make it through a 9 hour night before she started whining in her crate. In our bed she often wakes up in the middle of the night expecting to go out, which I am just not up for. So she's been spending more nights in the crate, or being put in the crate if she wakes us up in the middle of the night.

In the last week she peed on the floor in the bedroom twice when we were trying to settle down to go to sleep (she's had no other accidents for a couple months). And then the last two nights she was in the crate and woke up at 3:15 both nights whining and barking. The first night we brought her out (after waiting for her to stop whining before we let her out) and put her right back in the crate. Last night I just thought "this is ridiculous". If I put her in the crate at 10:30 AM (which is pretty typical with my work schedule), she wouldn't have a way out until 5:30 when I got home. So I decided she needed to stay in until 5:30. She whined and barked the whole time, keeping me up.
So needless to say, I'm a sleepless wreck and completely unsure about how to handle this new habit of hers.
Hopefully over the summer it will get easier, as I'm working at a camp and can bring her most days, so she'll run herself ragged there.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. If you choose to have children, get ready for more sleepless nights.:)
Puppies and dogs are a lot of work. I'm just wondering with all you have on your plate, whether finding her a good home with someone that can bond with her the way you have not, is something you might consider. But there is no question that these issues can be solved with time and dedication, and maybe hiring a pet sitter to come in in the middle of the day to exercise your dog and let her pee.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Two techniques that were successful for getting Pax to sleep through the night...I trained him to "Lets Go Out" right before bedtime...his reward for going pee was a few bits of kibble. About the same age as yours he started both getting wrestles at night and would start waking me up at the FRIST crack of dawn (not a morning person). Figured out it was mostly due to hunger...so I increased his go pee before bed reward to a large handful of kibble.

It was almost instantaneous for him to start sleeping in longer. Now I got get HIM out of bed in the morning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She sleeps through the night most of the time, which is part of what makes it so frustrating when she doesn't. I can never figure out quite what's wrong and sometimes just sticking her in her crate for the last couple hours works and sometimes it doesn't. It's so inconsistent! And I get so worried about her when she restless at night, like I assume something's really wrong, and when it turns out she's just being a brat (and now I'm overtired) I get really upset with her and it's hard for me to be particularly affectionate or attentive to her. And she demands almost constant attention.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe try changing up your exercise routine and take her out before bed. Then offer food and water and take her out one last time.
I used to take Dexter out at 5am when I got out of work for an hour of sprinting playing fetch. He'd come home and plop right down. The only thing is he drank so much water while running it had the opposite effect and he had to pee lol but then he'd just go right back to sleep

·
Registered
900 Posts
It could be that there is no consistency with her sleep schedule. You mentioned she sometimes sleeps in her crate and others on the bed with you. It could be that she likes the bed much better and acts up when she's put back in the crate. I would recommend you stick to having her sleep in her crate for a little while longer until she's a little more mature and learns to settle during the night. I also suggest you teach an off-switch, then apply it to when she wakes up at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts