Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find out what your guys methods are for starting in agility. My puppy is 6 months. I started in weave poles as that is super easy and I know how to do that. However I am not sure how to go from there. I dont have $100 to take a 8 week class.

I did find a tutorial on how to make your own jumps and plan on doing that as well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
At six months old your dog should not be doing any actual weaving. Setting up the foundations of weave poles, yes, but your dog is still not fully developed and the strain caused by weave poles (and jumping) could cause physical problems later down the line.

IMO agility is one of those things that it's really easy to mess up if you don't do it right. I'd save up the money to take at least a basic intro class to ensure you have some proper guidance during the early stages, and so that you can have a qualified instructor help you if (when!) you run into any troubles or questions. I feel MUCH more confident in my agility training skills having taken a class.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I agree with everything DuckDodgers said. At 6 months old there are not many obstacles that you should be doing. With a growing puppy there is too much of a risk of injury. A lot of flat work and foundations are usually worked on at that age.

I also agree that working with a trainer is really the best way to go about getting into agility. If done wrong you risk possibly scaring the dog or even worse, injury. It's also really not as easy as it looks. Especially once you start sequencing the obstacles. There is just as much that we as handlers have to do as the dogs. I really would recommend saving up the money and getting in a class. Honestly, it's one of the best things I've ever done!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Agreed. Your puppy is way too young to be getting into any real agility equipment. I would start saving up to take a class when she's ready.
For now, the best thing you can do is get some killer obedience. Work on focus, amazing recalls, and great stays. These are all important foundation skills for agility.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
OH I also recommend this DVD. My trainer gave it to me to work with my aussie and it's a great foundations video. All the stuff you should work on before ever introducing equipment.

Foundation Fundamentals 6-DVD Set

Reactions: Smudge and Sha

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier, the BEST thing you can do before even thinking about doing any agility obstacles is to have a solid obedience foundation. You'll really be doing yourself a favor in the long run!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.