Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am getting ready to bring home my first dog (well, the first I've had as an adult, and where I will be the only human in the household). I thought I was preparing well, but I keep running into little details that I'm having trouble resolving, such as where he should sleep, both before and after crate training.

He will not be sleeping in the bed with me, but beyond that I am not sure what to do. I know he'll figure out his own preferences eventually, but until then I am at a loss. The design of my apartment is odd, with a really tiny bedroom and a spacious living area.

For context: the dog is an 8 year old Beagle mix. He's pretty mellow, but his previous family reported some accidents, so we'll be doing crate training/house training.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
~C

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's really just trial and error. Get a bed for him, see how he likes it. Get a variety of different types of toys and see which ones he plays with.

As for things you'll definitely need:

Harness (I like the ruffwear range a lot)
Cheap backup harness ($5 from walmart is fine)
Leash
Backup leash
Poop bags
Baby wipes
Pepto Bismal tablets
2 cans of pumpkin (not pie filling)
Toothpaste
Coat if it gets cold where you live
Musher's Paste if it snows where you live

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in your exact situation 3 months ago, and the biggest thing I needed was an open mind! It took Chloe over a month to figure out her routine within our lives. I was overly concerned with her not fitting into my assumptions and expectations and it caused me (and thus, her) a lot of stress. Once I started actually watching and responding to her, things got so much better.

Ditto cheap versions of a variety of toys. Also:

- blankets (she likes to make little nests in her crate and on her bed)
- lots of towels (it rains a lot here, so I use them to wipe her feet off)
- a washcloth

Have fun, it's an exciting time for both you and your dog!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hello,

I
For context: the dog is an 8 year old Beagle mix. He's pretty mellow, but his previous family reported some accidents, so we'll be doing crate training/house training.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
~C
The main thing with a beagle is exercise so some good walking shoes for you.
Crate training is a great idea for rescue dogs. I always used a crate for about 3 months. A nice cushy bed for when he is just hanging out. This will help with house training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI
This will help you understand clicker training it is a great way to train.
You will want to keep his mind active with new training, it is also a way for you to bond with him and help use up energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts