Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have an 8 week old Beagle puppy, Denver. I got him one week ago and since then every hour of my life has been playing with him or researching about him.

In all of that research, I constantly come across instructions to introduce items like the leash and crate slowly, but I also need to use those items immediately. For example, on day one I needed to transport him home using the crate for his safety/to prevent accidents in my car, but he was not accustomed to the crate so he screamed for the 15 minute drive. All of the books say to introduce the crate slowly, but how can I do that when I need it right away?

Along the same strain, I'm trying to house train him by keeping an eye on him at all times using the "umbilical cord" method, but he just yanks and yanks on the lead. Also, if I want to take him for walks with the lead, he yanks on it. It's a slip lead and I'm afraid he is going to choke himself because he is not accustomed to the lead (should I just be getting a different leash?) And all of the training books/videos say to get the puppy accustomed to the lead slowly, but also to take him outside constantly to house train. How can I possibly do both!? :confused::confused::confused:

I feel like I'm getting so much conflicting information. What do I do?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the overwhelming world of new puppy ownership ;) Regarding the crate- I didn't introduce it slowly b/c I had no choice and my puppy did fine in it- cried the first four nights off and on but then has been great ever since. Make it a happy, comfy place to be- soft blanket, chew toy, stuffed animal to snuggle with...you can also try feeding him in there which seems to work for a lot of people. I throw treats in there sometimes for him to find in his blanket :) Make sure you are taking him out to pee/poop immediately before putting him in there, and also as soon as you take him out of the crate, take him right outside to potty.

Do you have a fenced in yard? If not, just clip the leash on him and stand still while he sniffs, etc. until he pees/poops, then act super happy, excited, praise the heck out of him, give him a treat, etc. THEN you can take him off the leash if it is a contained space where he won't run away, etc. Getting him used to actually walking in the leash takes a lot of time and patience. My puppy is 17 weeks old and only just now is getting better about walking normally, rather than pulling, jumping, biting the leash, etc., and I have been exclusively using the leash (we don't have a fenced in yard) since he was 8 weeks old. From the minute we brought him home, I was out there in the front or back lawn with him on the leash every 20-30 minutes. We remained accident free that way. Here is our current schedule during the week to give you an idea:

6AM- Out of crate, out to potty
6:15- Breakfast
6:45- Back out to potty
7-7:45- Play
7:45-8:15- Walk
8:30- 11 CRATE
11-11:30- Dog walker takes him for walk, gives him water
11:30-1:45- CRATE
1:45- 2:15 I walk him (lots of stopping, sniffing, etc. not a long strenuous walk)
2:15 on he is free to be in the house if I am watching him like a hawk. I make sure I can see him at all times. I make sure I take him out at least every 60-90 minutes. He still has yet to "tell" me he has to go potty so I make sure I don;t give him an opportunity to have an accident.
4PM- Walk for about 20 minutes
5PM- Dinner
After that and for the rest of the day, I am watching him, or he is in his 4x4 exercise pen if I need to be focused on something else. If I leave the house, he is put in his crate for safety as I sometimes worry he may figure out a way to knock over the pen.
At 9:30 PM he goes out for one last potty and then he is crated for the night.

It is a huge amount of work for the first 2 months and it is normal to feel overwhelmed, depressed, like you've made a mistake, etc. I promise if you put in the time and effort now, it is worth it and your life will be easier in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Please use a collar and lead or a harness, slip leads are designed for dogs that already know how to loose leash walk. Using one without that training turns it into a choke chain unless it has a stopper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please use a collar and lead or a harness, slip leads are designed for dogs that already know how to loose leash walk. Using one without that training turns it into a choke chain unless it has a stopper.
Thanks so much! I will get a new leash ASAP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6AM- Out of crate, out to potty
6:15- Breakfast
6:45- Back out to potty
7-7:45- Play
7:45-8:15- Walk
8:30- 11 CRATE
11-11:30- Dog walker takes him for walk, gives him water
11:30-1:45- CRATE
1:45- 2:15 I walk him (lots of stopping, sniffing, etc. not a long strenuous walk)
2:15 on he is free to be in the house if I am watching him like a hawk. I make sure I can see him at all times. I make sure I take him out at least every 60-90 minutes. He still has yet to "tell" me he has to go potty so I make sure I don;t give him an opportunity to have an accident.
4PM- Walk for about 20 minutes
5PM- Dinner
After that and for the rest of the day, I am watching him, or he is in his 4x4 exercise pen if I need to be focused on something else. If I leave the house, he is put in his crate for safety as I sometimes worry he may figure out a way to knock over the pen.
At 9:30 PM he goes out for one last potty and then he is crated for the night.

It is a huge amount of work for the first 2 months and it is normal to feel overwhelmed, depressed, like you've made a mistake, etc. I promise if you put in the time and effort now, it is worth it and your life will be easier in a few weeks.
Is this your current schedule at 17 weeks, or was this your 8 week old schedule? Did you feed him twice a day or three times? I was feeding him twice a day, but then kept seeing I needed to change it. We did three times a day yesterday and he got diarrhea.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is my current schedule at 17 weeks. We just moved from three feedings a day to two. He gets 1/2 cup at 6AM and 1/2 cup at 5PM. The schedule at 8 weeks was the same, except that he was going out to pee every 20-30 minutes anytime he wasn't i the crate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts