Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We've had an 8 week old goldendoodle for about 5 days now. Shes doing really well, sleeps all night except for one potty break. The only thing is, she gets up between 6 and 6:30 every morning. She barks and whines. I've read to help her sleep longer and to learn to stay quiet until we're ready to get up is to set our alarm before she wakes so that we're the ones waking her up instead of the other way around. We're planning on setting it 10 minutes later everyday until we get to a time we like and she learns that she needs to wait for us. Has anyone tried this with success? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
She'll wake up later and later as she gets older. My JRT puppy used to wake up 3 times a night for about a week when we first got him. Then it went down to 2 times a night, now its down to 1 time a night. He used to wake up at 5 am, then 6 am, then 7 am, then 8 am and now he can hold it until almost 10 am some days!

Also, try to let your puppy out as late as possible. I let my puppy out at around 10:30-11, but sometimes the last time I let him out is at 9pm and those are the days he wakes up earlier.

Limit food and water past a certain time. Denver (my puppy) can't eat after 8 pm and water gets cut off at 9 so he doesn't constantly wake me up during the night to go potty.

After she wakes up at 6-6:30, do you stay awake? If you do, she might start waking up earlier because it means she gets your attention when she whines and barks. When she whines and barks, let her out for a quick potty break (no play and fun), give her time to go, and then right back inside to keep sleeping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically she'll whine and bark and we'll bring her outside but she doesn't seem to have to go potty. She sniffs around but that's about it. We have been waking up then, but ideally we would love to sleep until 7am or so.

Our routine right now has been dinner at 5:30 or 6, pick up water at 8, then we bring her upstairs around 9:30 and settle her into her crate while we get ready. She's usually asleep by 10. We don't go to sleep until 10:30 or 11, so should we be waking her up to go potty before we go to sleep?

Also, do you think we should continue with setting our alarm earlier than she wakes up, wake her up, take her potty and then bring her back to put her to sleep until we're ready (even though she'll probably bark the rest of the time until we want to get up)? or should we just wait until she's awake and then ignore her cries and barks and stay in bed until we're ready to get up?

sorry for so many questions. It's our very first puppy and we're kind of at a loss of what to do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would leave her out of the crate until you and your husband are ready to hit the sack..... it sounds like she's in there an hour more than the actual "lights out" time. Let her play, get tired, and pee/poop one last time right before you are ready for bed.... that might buy you a little time in the morning.
Sue

·
Registered
140 Posts
An 8 week old puppy doesn't have a strong bladder yet and will need to go to the bathroom when she wakes up. Even if it is at a time you don't like. Until she is older please don't try to force her to sleep later. She is a baby and is reliant on you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have posted this a bunch before...right before bed time I would take Pax outside to pee and his reward was a few treats to reinforce the behavior. He started waking up at the CRACK of dawn (not a morning person). Turns out he was waking do to hunger. I increased his bed time treat to a healthy handful of kibble before bed.

Now I have a dog that BOLTS out the door to go pee without hesitation before bed and sleeps well though the night.

At 8 weeks however...they have a hard time holding their bladder if they need to go out to pee. That will just take time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't forget the rule of thumb: puppies generally can't and/or shouldn't have to hold their urine for more than one hour per month of age. So a two month old pup may have to go every two hours while in the crate, and every 20-30 minutes when out and about playing. If you can get four uninterrupted hours of sleep at this stage, you're doing well! Take him out when he wakes up, regardless of what time it is, don't get him excited or let him think it's play time.... quietly straight outside, pee, then quietly right back in the crate and back to bed. He'll catch on in a couple of nights. My pup will be 12 weeks tomorrow and I am THRILLED that he's letting me sleep 5 straight hours at night - whoohoo!!
Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.