Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs escaped and were gone for 7 days. With the help of posters and websites and hours walking we were able to find them. My Boxer mix, however, looks beyond starving. The people who found him gave him a ton of food and he threw it all up. We have been giving him smaller meals through the day and he keeps those down. He is going to the vet Monday. He is extra tired and always cold. We just want to keep him as healthy as possible until he gets professional help. We cant wait to have his beautiful personality back but we know it will take more than our love, a warm couch, and dog food. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You are doing good by feeding small meals. I would increase the amount little by little during the day and add a little water to it so it easier going down. Glad he is back home and safe.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Have you put a sweater on him? You could even try a human sweater with rolled up sleeves if he accepts it.

I would suggest to moisten his kibble with warm broth it will make it easier for him to digest.

Have you checked him over for any injuries? Especially in his paws! His immune system will be lower right now, and infections are opportunistic.

I'm sure others will come by soon with more suggestions and I hope your dog will be just fine after having gained back his weight! Good luck to you!

Reactions: pkelley

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Boiled chicken (no bones) and cooked rice, about half and half mixture, is a very good food for ailing dogs. Its easy to digest and offers some good nutrition.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
The rice mixture is a great idea, nice and easy on the stomach. His stools might not be as hard as usual on that, just a heads up. Moistening the kibble is a really good idea too, it gets fluids down and aids digestion, it is highly recommended for puppies because the tend to get dehydrated easily. I'm guessing your boxer is dehydrated as well and basically has to be slowly weaned back onto food and water. Too much food at once could cause bloat, so you giving small meals is excellent!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
What a horror to have them lost for 7 days. Do you have any idea now, about where they were all week? Thank goodness they are home!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
When my pup was sick I made chicken soup for her. That way they get the meat veggies and the liquid they need to keep hydrated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are going to try the sweater. For now he is happiest wrapped in blankets but we are limited on the number of days we can stay home. He will be inside through the weekend. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a horror to have them lost for 7 days. Do you have any idea now, about where they were all week? Thank goodness they are home!
It really was a nightmare. By far the worst Christmas ever. We were fortunate that they stayed together the whole time. My female who has a long coat is doing great. Perhaps because she was not as cold? Despite being nothing but bones my boxer mix seemed a bit happier today. He has a tiny bit more energy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you put a sweater on him? You could even try a human sweater with rolled up sleeves if he accepts it.

I would suggest to moisten his kibble with warm broth it will make it easier for him to digest.

Have you checked him over for any injuries? Especially in his paws! His immune system will be lower right now, and infections are opportunistic.

I'm sure others will come by soon with more suggestions and I hope your dog will be just fine after having gained back his weight! Good luck to you!
You were correct about his paws. They are raw between every toe. He is sleeping almost all the time so I have been able to keep them very clean and dry. I would love to give him a warm bath but I think it might be too stressful. I have carefully cleaned off all the stickers, cleaned his ears, and used some gentile dog shampoo n water to remove oily residue from his legs. When he starts wanting to move around again I will feel better about washing him properly.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It is important that she be on a high quality food, something without fillers. This way, everything she eats will help her instead of her system having to work with fillers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Poor paws! But he's home now where he is warm and safe and well taken care of. You're doing a great job! I don't think I'd give him a bath yet either, you sponging him off like that is a great idea!

I would like to caution you though regarding giving him seasoned/salted foods like that pre-cooked chicken (human foods are not good for animals because of salt, spices and certain herbs). It is possible that his electrolytes are out of balance but your vet will be able to help you with that more safely.

Sending you positive thoughts for tomorrows vet visit!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Ditto on the boiled rice and the chicken; I also parboiled hamburger meat to get the fat off and mixed it with the rice. I am so glad you have them back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is important that she be on a high quality food, something without fillers. This way, everything she eats will help her instead of her system having to work with fillers.
His personality is coming back and he is moving around more. The vet told us to feed him and his sister puppy chow. His paws are still sensitive and he limps. The vet thinks we just need to give him time and TLC. He is also taking antibiotics and vitamins. We are going to install a heater in the unfinished basement for him (child n dog proof) so he can stay warm. He is going to need a warm space soon because we are both out of vacation time. We are trying to arrange a schedule so they are only alone for 4 hours or less, but it's hard because we humans hardly see each other as it is. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts