Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I would like to be able to go on long rides and take our 15 lb poodle with us. He's a pretty tentative little guy and very skittish about the trailer. Currently, I have him eating and watering in the trailer while attached to my bike inside the house.

I don't know what the next step will be. How do I get him from being comfortable going into the trailer to eat to moving in the trailer outside with him zipped in? We got him zipped in the trailer a couple of weeks ago and walked the bike up and down the driveway. He was NOT happy and now is suspicious of my actions re the trailer outside. Without the door zipped, he'd no doubt just jump out at the first movement.

So, what's the next step?

TIA,
David

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Honestly speaking, I'd just leave him at home. It doesn't sound like he's going to enjoy the rides. Why cause him unnecessary stress?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just a wild guess, but I wondered if putting the dog zipped into the trailer in the back seat of a car and going for a short drive might be a next step? Less rickety than a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I trained my very stubborn English Bull Terrier to ride in the trailer so I'm pretty sure you would be able to train Puddle. They are very intelligent breed. It will take some time and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Brooklyn but my question is how to do it. Using the car as suggested by Teaswizzler might be one approach.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I trained my very stubborn English Bull Terrier to ride in the trailer so I'm pretty sure you would be able to train Puddle. They are very intelligent breed. It will take some time and a lot of patience.
First we put the trailer in our living room with his bed and his favorite blanket in there. He was sleeping in his trailer for a week. During this week we trained him to jump in. Every time when we get back after the walk we made him jump in for a very good treat. After a week we took the bike with attached trailer to empty parking lot. He refused to get inside anywhere near the house. He still does not want to be zipped in but we are ok with that. You can fasten his harness to the trailer securely so he will not be able to jump out of the trailer. Don't forget to bring his favorite high valuable treats. It is boiled chicken for us. Make sure he is a bit hungry Once fastened, start feeding him treats. When you see he feels comfortable and relaxed, very very slowly start walking the bike, keep feeding him so he does not have time to think of what's going on. You will need 2 people for this stage of training - one walking the bike and the other one walking next to the trailer giving him treats. Once you see he is ok, start moving faster, keep feeding, and faster, keep feeding, then do turns(very very slowly - he might start panicking again), keep feeding. Then start walking the bike in large circles. Then pedal the bike very very slowly. If you see him panicking, take one step back - you probably moved to the next step too fast. After an hour or hour and a half he should be ok riding in the trailer on the parking lot. The session should be over for the day.
You still can keep the trailer in the living room and feed him treats or let him sleep in it. Next time when you take him to the parking lot or any other large empty space like a basketball court etc away from the house - you will need to repeat all the steps from the beginning. It will look like he forgot everything he learned a day before. He will remember in the process. You might be able to finish this part of the training in 30 - 40 minutes. But if you feel he needs more time, don't rush him. Once you see he is ok with parking lot, walk the bike outside of the parking lot on the sidewalk or quite street. Walk slowly at first, then faster and faster (keep feeding), then pedal. Ride him up and down the street for 20-30 minutes. Always finish on positive note with lots of praise and treats.
Next time put him in his trailer on the parking lot and slowly move to streets, take different routes this time, ride the bike back home. Better if another person(your spouse) on bike joins you. He should be ready for short family trip next time, some place he really likes - park, dog run, lake etc. It should feel like a reward after been a very good boy.
If you feel like training him to be in the trailer fully zipped, you should start with open trailer and gradually zipping it up, step by step - it might take some time and patience cause he might feel trapped and vulnerable in zipped carriage and dislike or become terrified of it.
I would like to add some photos or videos of the training process but did not figure out how to post them here. So I'm going to add URL below, you can take a look if you want.
Tell us about your progress :)

Home training: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvC_MR2BvPj/
Parking lot training: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2jhrDGgW1C/
Outside training Part 1:
Outside Part 2:
Part 3:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts