Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to repost as I don't think my original post stuck?

I'm new to the forums, but thought I would give this a try.

I recently adopted a 6 year old Wheaten whom I absolutely adore! He has no issues whatsoever with the exception of the back yard. I'm not sure why, but he's not keen on the backyard, much less doing his business back there.

I'm trying to get him to use the back yard to do his business in, rather than on walks or at the off-leash parks. My main concern is that if there ever was a time we had to skip a morning walk (i.e. just last week I laid up in bed with food poisoning and wishing he would have gone to do his business in the yard).

I've tried to come up with a variety of positive reinforcements for him when he does poop in the yard (less than 6 times in 2 months), but unfortunately he doesn't think to much of verbal praise, much less food or treats!

I've tried to leash him and get his bowels moving by walking him around the yard, but nothing. He has no problem with going on walks or at the park (but he'll literally do this 30 seconds into a walk or 30 seconds after getting out of the car at the off-leash), so I don't think it's a "warming up the bowels" thing, as he's absolutely excitable on walks or at the park.

I've recently tried to pair pooping with the clicker, but he hates and cowers at the damn clicker!

Anyone have some helpful advice for me to get my little guy to poop in the back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't have experience with this exact issue, but if I want Wally to go somewhere different, I wait until he really, really, really has to go (even delaying him going out intentionally to make sure he's super needing to go) and then take him out to go where I want him to start going and then just wait him out.

As far as rewarding - I've read that the act of going is rewarding in itself (the relief from the discomfort/urge of needing to go), so I don't really bother with rewarding overtly. If I do, mostly it's going on the walk or whatever we were planning to do anyway.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts