Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breed: unsure, but I am thinking a mix breed of Pomeranian and Papillon. We cut his fur short so he looks like a fox now lol.

It was night and we were trying to put our new dog, Oppa [male], into his crate [We got him from our cousin who mentioned that he was house train, but they had been chaining him outside]. We locked him in his crate at night in our laundry room because we have chemical in there and do not want him licking the bottles. I haven’t seen him lick things in our house except once with our small table when it had some rice on it. But, it has been problematic to get him in his crate as we have to lure him to the laundry room and most of the time carry him into his crate.

The first time Oppa willing walked into his crate was after I crouched down and lightly knocked on the crate’s door. The second I stand up, he rushed into his crate.

The second time, my sister carried him into his crate. He twisted and came back out. I pointed to the crate, gave the crate a pet/knock, and went to pet him. I slowly went behind him intended to give him a push toward the crate. Well that push never happened. After I was fully behind him and he saw that. He got up and walked right into his crate and sat down.
I don’t know what happened there or what was communicated.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Another thing I started to notice is Oppa stands at least two feet away when I am in the kitchen. He does comes into the kitchen to see what is going and to stare at the food, but when I tried to approach him he back off into the living room. He is very cautious and anxious. Whenever he has access to our room because we forget to close the door or he manages to push it open he heads straight under the bed. My cousin said that was what he often did at their house. He also likes to sit under the table, but if I call him and gave him eye contact he will come out to play. He’s very hyper and likes to do goat jump (jump on you and bounce off) at first in which I discourage and haven’t seen much of it now. Probably, his hyper mood is an indicator of how much he likes us. He runs from stranger and is very cautious of them. It is another story if he gets under the bed. It’s hard to get him out. Usually he will come out if I/the people in the room leave or at his convenience. Using food does not always work (on his second day at home it did—probably because he was hungry). Yesterday, I played a youtube video of a puppy crying and that got him out long enough for me to leash him. We have restrict him from coming to our room now. He sometimes comes to the door and try to push it open, usually when I am in there. I haven’t seen him done that when I am not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I crate trained my dog, I would use the same phrase every time (I used "go to your house") and I coaxed her into it by throwing in a special treat that she only got when she went in the crate. After a week or so she started going in there with just the phrase. I still kept giving her the special treat once she was inside though. :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
When we first brought Samantha home we used a crate, as we needed time for her to adjust to us and us to her. She got to where she absolutely hated that crate, and it became a real battle to get her into it. Fortunately she is not destructive, and can be trusted with the run of the house, which she loves. Crate has been packed up for years now, I guess the house is hers and she lets us use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts