Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and am seeking advice.

My situation: I currently have two dogs, a Siberian Husky and a German Shepherd mix. I am now taking my very ill grandfather's dog which is a Lhasa Apso/Cocker Spaniel mix. My dogs have met this dog before and are good with her. She isn't very well trained and she will be coming home with only a leash and collar. I Have never owned/lived with a small dog before and am needing tips for training. Any suggestions for training equipment, toys or other things is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Training a small dog is no different then training a big dog. It also doesn't sound like she's to small, but I guess next to a husky and german shepherd X she would seem quite small lol.
I personally don't have a smaller lap dog mix so I cant speak from experience, but my mini American shepherd sounds like she might be of similar size (depending on if she takes after the Lhasa or the cocker more in size), at least in my case its not that much different then owning a bigger dog. You might need to get some different toys for depending on what you have and what she likes and maybe a different food depending on her needs and age. And depending on age and how your dogs play with her you may need to keep an eye out just in case since a big dog has a lot more power in play then a smaller dog. And just be a bit more mindfull of her food/treat intake as she's a smaller dog. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Hopefully some one with small dog experience will chime in.
Good luck with her, and I think its awesome your taking her in :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Training a small dog really is not different except for the difference in how you move with them and approach them. Sometimes training certain commands like "Down" takes longer because you have to move more and that will make the dog move.

Also I wouldn't leave the dogs alone together. Even by accident two very large dogs could seriously injure a small one.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
So far all of the dogs I've ever lived with were small. Merlin, however, is the first dog I've actually trained from a puppy. In terms of training, just as others have said, it's no different than training a larger dog. Just be as strict with training regarding leash pulling, jumping, etc. as you would be with your larger dogs and things will go fine. (By strict I mean consistent.)

You might want to dog-proofing a room or investing in a crate to give your new addition somewhere safe to be as she transitions to living with you and your dogs. This will also help with keeping them separated when you can't supervise. If you do go with the crate, be sure to introduce her to it with lots of treats and go slow. I think there might be something in the housetraining section about how to introduce your dog to a crate and how to transition your dog to the crate with minimal negative impact. I'll see if I can find something and post the link here.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
This is a good, comprehensive article about crating. It covers everything from why you might want to consider crating to selecting a crate and how to introduce your dog to the crate. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts