Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yellow lab is about 15 weeks old and training is going really well. He is not 100% house broken but I'd say 90% there. He is doing well at night in the crate and is coming along on leash training and travels in the car well...

Wednesday I will be picking an 8 week old chocolate female lab...

Should I keep the crates next to each other or different rooms? my house is an open design so sound pretty much travels everywhere. My biggest concern is my male slipping backwards particularity with crate training. I plan to feed them separately at first so there is no bullying but probably have a shared water bowl.

I plan to train, play and walk them separately especially at first. I do like to socialize the dogs in public as much as possible and this has worked really well with the male as we took him on vacation and got many compliments on his behavior at restaurants and other public places.

Any suggestions on introducing and training the new pup as it relates to a two pup environment will be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think you should particularly keep them completely separated when you get the new pup, like playing walking that kind of stuff. Puppies learn from example so this new one can learn from the older one. Sure at first its probably a good idea, it'll give you and your new puppy some time to bond but I'd try to have them do some activities together! good luck, puppies are wonderful loving little things.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My yellow lab is about 15 weeks old and training is going really well. He is not 100% house broken but I'd say 90% there. He is doing well at night in the crate and is coming along on leash training and travels in the car well...

Wednesday I will be picking an 8 week old chocolate female lab...

Thanks
Getting a new pup at this stage will probably stunt the training on the older one. Potty training especially. When the new pup has accidents the older one will probably think going in the house is OK. Plus the time you will be spending with he new one will not allow for the same quality of training you have been doing with the older one. I know you don't want to hear this but I personally would not get another pup until this one is completely trained.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
They are also close enough in age that you need to worry about littermate syndrome.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I was very nervous about bringing home a puppy when Levi is just turning one. Your puppy is still such a baby! Not to mention he hasn't even gone through that pesky adolescent stage yet, and now you'll have two going through it at the same time. I do not envy you.
Is there any reason there is such a rush to get a second one?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't really have much in the way of advice but from someone who is currently raising two pups that are only a week apart in age - keep your sense of humour!

Reactions: CobbersMom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize it won't be easy....but the male has been socialized quiet a bit with other people and dogs. I am getting both dogs from the same breeder who is also a friend of mine so I have help and support. In hindsight I should have waited on the second one but the deal is done so I have to make the best of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quick update.....the new puppy is home and has already taken to her new environment. Luckily for me the breeder had already begun crate training so Ripley settled right down for the night....

Interacting with the older male Lab has been what I would expect. Very aggressive play from both dogs but Ripley will tell him when she has had enough, she even chases him back, so the play is defiantly not one sided. My only concern is Rosco is two months older and that much bigger and he may inadvertently hurt her. I been breaking it up if looks like its getting to rough.

Over all things are going well but its only the first 24 hours! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its been over a week....I think they are getting along

They do wrestle and play tug of war....the female chocolate is so mellow, a complete contrast to the hyper yellow male....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts