Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just to add more drama to our lives, we're going to be getting a cat this Saturday. Chewie, our 2.5 year old Samoyed, in theory likes cats, but then again he's only met them outside, not in his house.

There is an indoor/outdoor cat up the street that lives with a dog, so it is not scared of Chewie, and it will walk to the end of its driveway and let Chewie lick it. It moves very slowly and calmly, as if it knows if it runs he'll chase it (which I am 90% sure he WOULD).

so anyway, we are getting a Siberian kitten from a breeder (they are allegedly almost as hypoallergenic as a cat can be, which is why we went the breeder route) and that kitten is currently in a house with 2 dogs, so the breeder says her cats all love dogs, so that has me optimistic. This thing will eventually be 20lbs, so when full grown I'm sure it can handle itself, but it'll be 8 weeks old when we get it.

however, I'm not entirely sure the best way to make the initial introduction. Should I try to tire Chewie out with a long walk and run first? Tiring him out is almost impossible. I took him on a 9 mile walk last sunday and when we got home he saw a squarely and was still strong enough to almost pull my arm off.
:)
So once he is excited he will rally as if he never went on a walk at all.

In my heart I really think he will love the cat, but I also think he will get a bit hyper at first. He does not like when people pick up their small dogs, he will bark, so I think we should probably just put the kitten lose on the floor, vs holding it. I think he really needs to think he can get to it and sniff it, not be blocked by a gate or something. It makes him more anxious to get to it.

We fostered some baby ducks a few months ago, and we decided to keep them in my son's room away from Chewie. One day he forgot to close his door, and after a few minutes I was wondering where Chewie was, and I ran up and he had his head in the big Rubbermaid bucket the ducks were in, just sniffing them, wagging his tail. I took him out just the same, but we decided since he didn't eat them, to try to introduce the to him again, in a hamster cage with bars. When he saw that he freaked out, basically pushing the cage across the floor with his nose. I think because he couldn't really get to them he got too excited. I do NOT want the cat to be something that we have to keep away in certain rooms, as I feel that will make Chewie only want to get to it more and be more excited when he does.

Cats are different than ducks, and allegedly this breed is fairly dog-like, in that it will play with dogs in general. So fingers crossed that it will seem more like a new puppy (which Chewie loves!) or at least something not be be chased, but to be sniffed and licked and snuggled.

So tips I am looking for:

1 - the best way to introduce them.

2 - best way to feed them. Chewie will definitely want to at least try the cats food as he doesn't love his own...

3 - Do dogs go into letterboxes? How do you stop them?

4 - any stories of things your dogs and cats like to do together? any toys they share? or does the dog steal everything? Do dogs like Catnip toys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Siberian cats are not the most hypoallergenic cat. They simply have less of a particular protein which causes allergies (in saliva, urine, and dander). They are no more or less hypoallergenic than their low-protein fellows like Sphynx or Rexes. If I had cat allergies, I would not get any long-haired cat simply for the fact that (less protein or not) they will likely produce more dander and shed more than a cat with less or no hair, especially if regular grooming is not kept up. Good luck with that. They are adorable little devils though.

1. Not even going to get into that. All of my cats and dogs were raised together.

2. Raw is the best way to feed a cat (or dog), preferably whole prey (PMR is the next best thing). It is great for their jaws, as they are designed to tear flesh and not chew kibble or wet food. Raw food would also not harm the dog like commercial cat food would.

3. Dogs can try to get into litter boxes to eat the cat poop (which is gross). They generally won't use the litter box for the intended purpose (unless, I suppose, you train it to). You can use a litter pan with a lid or use a baby gate in a designated section of the house. Beware that even with one cat you will need a litter box on each level of the home.

4. Eh, our cats and dogs are generally tolerant of each other. They don't really play together (except when the dogs were young and wanted to chase the cats). They don't share toys. They don't really hoard toys. My dogs were never affected by catnip and didn't particularly like the catnip toys over their other toys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for letting me know you know more than everyone, but I DID do a little research and knew that. I said "Almost as hypoallergenic as they come".

I guess I should have said "almost as hypoallergenic as they come and not looking like a burn victim".

I like fluff. Thus the Samoyed, which is also a surprising hypoallergenic dog, despite the shedding. I do not fear the vacuum.

We aren't crazy allergic to cats, but I figure every bit helps.

So you only feed your dogs and cats live/freshly killed animals?

Anyone with a more mainstream household care to chime in?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I did the opposite got my pups after the cats, my first girl she was smaller than my biggest cat, so naturally they didn't mind too much.
Now she is 38kgs the cats still don't see her as a threat, my adopted boy was 9 months old when I introduced him,
I have baby gates EVERYWHERE hahahah this is so the cats have a place to escape where the dogs can't get too them and they are still very happy the dogs see the cats as family and often groom the cats.
My female does eat cat poo, I tried everything to stop her and at 3 yrs old she still does it . But if you can block access to the litter box from Chewie (great name btw) it will help a lot.
As for foods, Ask the breeder what she/he feeds them and at least while kitty is making the transition to her/his new home continue to feed said food than way there is not too much change too quickly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MrsCunnigham,

My question about how to feed them was more not WHAT to feed them, but how to feed a dog and a cat separately, given that Chewie hates his dry food and will some days wait until 11 at night to grudgingly eat it.
If I put out some canned cat food, as per my cat breeder's instructions, he is going to want it.
I just want to minimize jealousy and food stealing as much as possible as those are the only areas I really am worried about. Chewie loves my wife, I feel we'll need to be careful about gradually having the cat sit on her lap and such as he might be a bit jealous about that.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Congrats. :)
Can't wait for so e pics of your new addition!
So tips I am looking for:

1 - the best way to introduce them.
I like to do gradual, closely supervised greetings personally.
Probably through a exercise pen or baby gate first. Dog leashed capturing and rewarding calm appropriate behavior. I would reward both the dog and kitten. For inappropriate behavior, I personally remove the dog, wait for calm and attention, and then try again.

If both are behaving with a barrier then I would try without. Dog still leashed (try to keep leash loose) though in case you need to quickly remove him. Again capturing and rewarding appropriate behavior (relaxing, sits, downs, just watching the kitten, staying relaxed if the kitten runs/jumps, etc.) and removing if they do something inappropriate.

From there I would go to leash dragging. Then a tab lead. Then free together supervised.

During this whole process make sure the kitten has escape options available... cat trees, furniture to jump on, etc.

2 - best way to feed them. Chewie will definitely want to at least try the cats food as he doesn't love his own...
I feed my dogs and cat all at the same time. They are all on a schedule so no food left laying out. Everyone has an assigned place too. Out cat is fed high on top of a dresser so the dogs aren't able to steal.

3 - Do dogs go into letterboxes? How do you stop them?
Many will get into litterboxes and eat kitty poo.
I keep litterboxes up high out of my dogs' reach. Some people use a gates to block access to litterboxes. And then there are some creative solutions out there like putting the litter box inside a rubbermaid tote with a hole cut in the lid to prevent dogs from sneaking kitty poo...

4 - any stories of things your dogs and cats like to do together? any toys they share? or does the dog steal everything? Do dogs like Catnip toys?

Thanks!
All of my dogs get along with our cat. But my puppy and cat get along amazingly.
Leggs does chase but often the cat instigates it. ;)

No one steals food because of how I feed. The cat has toys in a room that is gated off so dogs normally don't have access. Our cat isn't interested much in the dog toys, though he does have an obsession with one particular small tug... kept pulling it out of my training bag so it's in a drawer now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.