Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am really confused about what I should do about my ‘Larry’ my doggy. I don’t know if he is stupid or just acting like one. Recently I moved to a condo after months of searching in the Scarborough condos. Before moving to here, I used to live in an apartment. After a month or so, Larry came into my life. He was only a year old when I got him. But he was a fast learner. He was quick at understanding everything. But the only weird habit he has is that whenever he feels like going out he would come near the door start licking the door. I did my best to get rid of the habit, but he refuses to. So, now after moving into the condo, he is doing the same whenever he wants to go out, but the problem is that he can’t figure out the front door. Whenever he wants to go out he starts licking the door of my closet. I don’t know how to make him understand where the front door is.
Any ideas people…?
Please help… It is really annoying… The only thing he can’t figure out is the front door…

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well if you've let him out when he licks any door, then he's figured out it does'nt matter which door he licks cz you know what he wants. I think he's super smart. How do you want him to tell you instead? I hang a toy mouse with a bell on my door by long elastic & my dog paws it & squeaks. I think its cute.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Maybe he's smart enough to figure out to lick the door that you're most likely to see him doing it to so you're most likely to take him out. Maybe in this new place he thinks the human may not see him licking the front door and he's trying to be obvious since you're hard to train from his perspective lol.
On my apartment I wouldn't see my dog licking the front door but I'd see him licking the back door or one closet door. So he goes and stands by the back door to tell me, after leaning his chin near me and staring at me with pleading eyes and pacing back and forth.
It's kind of scary how well my smart dogs have trained me over the years. I usually realize they're not dumb at all but much smarter and more manipulative than I give them credit for and I the human am really the dumb one because they've fooled me for years so I do exactly what they want.
I don't think I would have figured out that licking any door meant a dog wanted to go out lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts