• Other (say which one please)

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my dog to stop pulling on walks and I need something to help with this. I'm currently in an obedience class with him and the trainer recommended a gentle leader to prevent his pulling. I was just in the dog clothing section of this forum and saw a thread on harnesses to prevent pulling. I was wondering which one is better?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Front clip harness. The ones I've used are the Gentle Leader Easy Walk and the Wonder Walker. FWIW, our shelter uses the Easy Walks on all of the shelter dogs--makes a night and day difference in being able to walk them three+ times a day.

I don't like the Gentle Leader head collars because of the potential for neck injuries.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Don't like the head halters. I like the Gentle Leader Easy Walk front clip harness. Works great!

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can use either, but you have to match it with training. Does your trainer have a program or technique that he will use with either of these tools?

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
I started out with walking mine with front clipping harnesses, even with the loose leash training, because of the forest full of rodents, I was still having pulling problems. Zoe would see a squirrel, get excited and pull so hard her armpits would be rubbed raw from the material of the front clipping harness.

I ended up switching to Gentle Leader head collars for both of my dogs. It's just easier with walking them both at the same time. The key with the gentle leader is to introduce it properly. They do not pull at all with the gentle leader. Even when they see a squirrel, goose or duck. They just don't. The difference would shock you.

Edited to add ~ I do plan on switching back to the harnesses and train more in them when summer rolls around again. I would eventually like to wean off the head collar.

Also, if you have a dog that is reactive (like Phoenix) there is no better tool than the Gentle Leader.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Love the gentle leader head collar! You'd have to do something really crazy to hurt the dog with it. I swear.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Also its import to condition a dog to the head halter one. It feels uncomforable to a dog to have something around there face, it could raise the dogs anxiety about walks. Just condition the dog with treats when its near the dog and when its on its head. I used the easy walk front clip harness and its amazing, it the only harness Maggie cant back out of too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The trainer at the facility I work at likes both, but tells students to let the dog walk around in the head halter first without a leash to help them get used to it. For smaller dogs, I'd recommend the front clip harness or a harness in general.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Depends, does your dog just PULL, all the time? Or does he suddenly hit the end of the leash in reaction to something? If its the first then either will work depending on what works for your dog and you. If its the 2nd then I do NOT recommend the headhalter since when the dog hits the end of the leash without warning his head is going to get snapped around and it'll injure his neck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trainer at the facility I work at likes both, but tells students to let the dog walk around in the head halter first without a leash to help them get used to it. For smaller dogs, I'd recommend the front clip harness or a harness in general.
Thanks

Depends, does your dog just PULL, all the time? Or does he suddenly hit the end of the leash in reaction to something? If its the first then either will work depending on what works for your dog and you. If its the 2nd then I do NOT recommend the headhalter since when the dog hits the end of the leash without warning his head is going to get snapped around and it'll injure his neck.
He pulls all the time, doesn't really just run and jerk at the end of the leash.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We just tried this out for fun (we don't have a pulling problem, we just like to explore new equipment) and found it waaay better than the GL.
I can't get the site to load but it's called the Newtrix head halter.

Instead of martingaling over the dog's muzzle, it martingales at the back of the dogs skull.
Not only does it sit more loosely/comfortably on the face (not tightening over their mouth and forcing it closed) but it doesn't create tortion on the dogs neck if they try to pull.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
sounds like I should go with the gentle leader as suggested.
I really like the halti for my hound its a must. The halti has a safety strap that goes to the collar. It took time for my dogs to adjust to having something around their noses, a lot of people give up after the first day because of the dogs reaction. It is well worth it to do the work to get them used to it. I can walk both dogs with one hand now and have complete control.
Halti Headcollars w/Safety Loop | PetEdge.com

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I use the Gentle Leader Easy-Walk Harness, and I will always stick to a harness after my dog jumped over a wall unexpectedly and I had to haul her back over the top by the harness itself. Also, I really got tired of the "is that a muzzle? Is your dog going to bite me?" questions I got with the head gear.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use the Gentle Leader Easy-Walk Harness, and I will always stick to a harness after my dog jumped over a wall unexpectedly and I had to haul her back over the top by the harness itself. Also, I really got tired of the "is that a muzzle? Is your dog going to bite me?" questions I got with the head gear.
That is so true.... One time long ago when Max still used one, I actually had a family walking with their children, and when they saw me they walked across the street, not before of course saying so I could here the mom clearly "watch out... that dog is dangerous, he has a muzzle..." :eek:

I swear, the only way Max would ever attack someone is by licking them to death, lol. But, whatever I don't care what people think. It helped a lot with training and Max is great on loose leash walks. :)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
We just tried this out for fun (we don't have a pulling problem, we just like to explore new equipment) and found it waaay better than the GL.
I can't get the site to load but it's called the Newtrix head halter.

Instead of martingaling over the dog's muzzle, it martingales at the back of the dogs skull.
Not only does it sit more loosely/comfortably on the face (not tightening over their mouth and forcing it closed) but it doesn't create tortion on the dogs neck if they try to pull.
Posted via Mobile Device
Newtrix - Our Products ?

I like the concept, my biggest issue with the GL head halter is the potential strain on the dog's neck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Newtrix - Our Products ?

I like the concept, my biggest issue with the GL head halter is the potential strain on the dog's neck.
Yes, exactly.
This way, even if the dog changes direction quickly, you are never applying torsion to the neck. You just keep control of the head.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of front connecting harnesses too, but I'm pretty happy with how this works in execution.
One of the few things I do like about head halters is that (maybe because the dog can see it?) dogs seem to understand it quickly as a physical barrier in that they won't try to pull their way forward to "clear" it in the same way they do a collar or harness.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My dog hated (HATED) the Halti, I'm sure the same would go for the Gentle Leader. I introduced it properly but she acted like she was being bit on the snout by a shark. It was excruciating to watch actually, she would bite the inside of her cheeks trying to get it off and open her jaw really wide. I felt awful and decided to try something else in fear she would hurt herself.

We now use a generic step in harness and it works for her because I guess she doesn't like the feeling of pulling into it. For other people, a step in harness gives them less control and they pull more. I have heard nothing but good things about the Easy Walk and have considered getting one as well to try it out.

It is really trial and error with dog products, what works for one dog is totally different for another. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Just my opinion: I've tried probably every kind of head collar they sell in this city and Newtrix is the only one that I am comfortable with. The straps are a little wider than the others so I think it would be more comfortable to wear than a thinner strap. I also like the control without the sideways motion of the head. It clips onto a regular collar so if the dog slips out of it he is still leashed up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts