Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genetic test reveals dog is actually wolf and coyote hybrid?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  seashoreduck 
#1 ·
So, I have had this dog for about 3 months now. He has been quite a challenge to assimilate into the home, but we feel we have finally made some real progress. Overall, he has a wonderful, sweet, non-aggressive temperament.

We adopted him from a shelter under the label of "Shepherd Mix". I did not doubt this theory. He looks somewhat like a German Shepherd but I knew he couldn't be pure. We ordered a Mars Wisdom Panel just for fun, and were shocked by the results.

According to the wisdom panel, he is 1/2 lab, 1/4 wolf, 1/8 malamute, and 1/8 coyote.

With these results, I can see it as a possibility. He is black, with hints of gray in his undercoat, and a flash of white on his chest. He is 30" tall at 11 months old, and is built very long, leggy and extremely narrow. He has a long snout, cow hocks, and a straight, bristled tail. His top-line is level. His coat is textured a bit like a German Shepherd, which is why we suspected that breeding, but he has quite a ruff of fur around his neck and shoulders. His paws are quite large, and he weighs about 75 lbs. The vet expects him to mature to 85-90 lbs.

I plan to discuss these findings without our vet, but she is out until Tuesday.

Owning a wolf or wolf hybrid is illegal in my state. I'm not entirely sure what the best course of action is. I have been asking around and doing some research. Some seem to think the wisdom panel results are meaningless, and that we should ignore them and continue on as we were. Others seem to think that they are proof of hybrid lineage and that we would be negligent not to surrender him to a sanctuary.

We would really prefer not to surrender our dog. This all comes as quite a shock to us!

What are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I understand DNA testing can not determine content of wolf. So if they told you he is 1/4 wolf I'd be leery about the results. Do you have any photos of your dog? And have you seen this site? It could be helpful for you.
Wolfdog Phenotyping and Debunking.

#3 ·
Ugh. Unfortunately this site makes everything seem worse. My dog has a lot of the traits this person points out. He has little to no stop between his muzzle and forehead. His chest is so narrow it looks like he got dressed in the dark and put both front legs through the same pant hole. He is cow hocked behind and toed out in the front. With big paws. His nose, nails and paw pads are all black. This person mentions coat changes. My dog was more black when we got him and he is getting more gray.

The most obvious dog traits are his ears, and the white on his chest. He does have floppy dog ears and his eyes are brown. If he is a low content which i suspect he would be if he did have any wolf in him, then he should have some dog traits.

I'm on my phone at work right now. When I get home I'll try to get some pictures posted.

I may send a set of photos to this person and see what they say.

#5 ·
Honestly I would junk the results and just not worry about it. Don't set yourself up to have to give up your dog all because of a test that isn't always even accurate when it comes to dog breeds. It's not a 100% reliable test. Throw it in the trash and forget about it, call him a shepherd mix on all paperwork and if anybody ever accuses you of having a wolf hybrid, then it's on the state to prove you are guilty. As far as you're concerned, it's just a mutt you adopted.

#6 ·
He is an unholy terror when left alone in the house and is an excellent escape artist. We finally have him mostly under control and figured out how to contain him but it was an adventure getting to that point. His crate is held together with zip ties and he was prescribed prozac by our vet to alleviate panic attacks.

His greatest accomplishment was when he pushed the tray out of the bottom of his crate and walked his crate around the living room to eat half an arm chair and shred pillows while still inside the crate. We were only gone for about 3 hours.

Other than that he is a great dog. He's shy around strangers but warms up. He's low energy and doesn't have a ton of stamina compared to other dogs at the dog park. He's very smart and picks things up quickly when he wants to, but we sometimes have trouble getting him to care. I have never heard him bark. He's pretty well silent except he did howl his first few nights in the crate. He's not into play. He's finally figuring out tug but fetch is not his thing. He absolutely loves other dogs and mostly ignores people. He's submissive towards dogs and people. He likes to watch cats but doesn't chase them. He will try to chase squirrels though.

#14 ·
He is an unholy terror when left alone in the house and is an excellent escape artist. We finally have him mostly under control and figured out how to contain him but it was an adventure getting to that point. His crate is held together with zip ties and he was prescribed prozac by our vet to alleviate panic attacks.

His greatest accomplishment was when he pushed the tray out of the bottom of his crate and walked his crate around the living room to eat half an arm chair and shred pillows while still inside the crate. We were only gone for about 3 hours.
Sounds like some of my dogs, but none of them are hybrids.

#9 ·
I don't really think he looks part wolf at all. But I guess he could be low content. I also do see a stop, but it could just be the angle of the photo.

More pics would be great if you get the chance !

I also want to add that I have a gsd husky mix. He is an extreme escape artist and we were unable to keep him in a crate despite zip ties and using wire to reinforce the corners. He also fits some of the characteristics of wolves just through being part husky. People think he's part wolf all the time, but he's a dog.

Have you contacted the company that did the Dna testing ?
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Well, I'm glad you guys don't think he looks super wolfy. I guess most people do think of a more husky-type when they think wolf, and he doesn't have that look at all. I think the floppy ears throw the whole thing off. Labs aren't wolfy in appearance at all, and he does definitely have lab in him! That certainly helps.

I did look up the genetics of floppy vs erect ears, and it is entirely possible that a hybrid, even at higher contents, could have floppy ears if they had a floppy-eared dog breed in their ancestry.

I called the company that performed the test. They said that the sample quality was excellent and that the results are over 90% accurate. They said there is no doubt, from a genetic standpoint, that he is a hybrid. They did also say that their results are not intended for legal use and that they will not give the results out to anyone that does not have our permission to obtain the results.

We have been playing phone tag with the vet, so I haven't been able to ask her the questions I really want to ask. She is adjusting Kuzco's medication, but does not seem otherwise concerned. She's not going to refuse to treat him, and isn't going to turn us in to the authorities. He'll remain a Shepherd mix on all of his veterinary records.

At this point, it seems like we really do have a low-contented wolf hybrid, but are going to call him a Shepherd mix and continue on as if nothing happened. >.>

I did submit a picture to that blogger that phenotypes wolf hybrids. I'm anxious to see what that person says.

I attempted to take a few pictures on my phone this morning. I'm having some difficulties getting him to hold still and I can't take him off leash outside to get decent action shots right now. Here are a few other shots I dug up. Next time my husband and I can tag team it we'll work together to get some better shots with a real camera.

Kuzco is the one in the red collar. The dog with a blue collar is a lab.

#12 ·
I would be extremely careful with him, personally. If he bites someone (human or canine) you could find yourself in big trouble. You can't prove his rabies vaccination because they are not approved for hybrids. Not saying he's not a good animal, but all "dogs" can bite and I would feel horrible if that were to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
Our vet said that because he is already licensed as a mixed breed dog, and is already documented at the clinic, with the microchip company, and on his vaccination certificate as a shepherd mix, then that is what he is in the eyes of the law. His genetic results don't require us to change that. I still don't think we'll announce his breeding, but we should not run into legal issues concerning rabies since there is no official record of him actually being a hybrid.

#15 ·
Wow, your dog is stunning. I hope that you are able to figure everything out. I see that a lot of great advice has been given already! Some people may jump on you and ask if he's a hybrid... people have a tendency to ask that about spitz breeds that may have odd coloring or even GSD and spitz mixes. There was actually a really cool thread on here a while back. Someone posted several photos of mixed breeds, some spitz' with odd coloration, and one wolf dog, then asked us to identify the wolf dog. I know I got the answer wrong!!!

Just for fun, you should google the agouti siberian husky. I honestly would have thought it was a wolf hybrid myself if I hadn't been told better, haha.

Im going a bit off topic, but I guess my point is... regardless of what your pup is, he is stunning! And sometimes no matter the mixture people will still ask if it's a wolf. :)

#16 ·
He looks like a big furry black lab mixed with some sort of shepard.

The genetic tests are often bunk, so don't worry too much about that.

As far as him being an unholy terror...sounds like a GSD or even border collie to me!!! Seriously. That sort of clever behavior is very much the mark of a shepard.

Cleverness does not equal wolf/cyote. I had a jack Russel/fox terrier--about as removed from any natural dog that you can get who was a high holy terror and escape artist. She escaped out of a crate and out of a LOCKED car. She figured out how to operate my clock radio when I wasn't home and would even open and close the blinds, she could even get to the kitchen sink and get herself a drink of water. (never bothered turning it off, blaruggg) And no, she was never trained to do that. If she wanted something you just had to move out of the way and hope for the best.

So don't freak out, and dont think that the sillyness is a result of anything but having a really smart dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.