Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. New here and this is my first post. I got a whippet pup in the last few days. He's just 8 weeks old and I could use a bit of help fom experienced dog owners.

First, when is the right time to start leash training?

Second, he's obviously not house trained. In lieu of this, is he too young to have sleep outside? He's the only dog we have so he'd be on his own. The area is warm and comfortable but I'm worried that he might feel isolated being so young. Then again, if he sleeps inside he'd be down stairs and on his own anyway. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chopper

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Sleeping inside with the familiy is ideal for a young pup ;)

I introduced the leash @ 10 weeks, and kept the sessions short as all get out...praise and treat for not biting on it and for keeping it slack. If he pulls, stop walking and encourage him back towards you...praise/treat....repeat repeat repeat lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Young pups should definitely be near you as much as possible especially at night to feel comfortable. You will need to potty train which is very easy if you work at it and stay constant with it.

Leash training I am not sure about age, I would listen to Crio with it tho. Loose leash is what you want and the way she described it is perfect, if the dog starts pulling stand still and wait for him to come to you and treat this behavior. Soon he will get that he should stay close to you on walks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would keep the puppy inside with you. The puppy should be crated or otherwise confined during the night and whenever you can't keep a close eye on him while you are housetraining him.

I would introduce the leash now, so you can use it to assist you with housetraining. For housetraining, your puppy should be taken outside frequently, as often as every hour if necessary. Put your puppy on leash and take him to a designated potty area...take him to the same spot each time. Praise him heavily the moment he finishes going in the right place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.

He's being house trained as recommended so hopefully this should be sorted pretty soon (famous last words :D). I think in the meantime a confined space indoors and a little patience is the way to go.

Cheers

Chopper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts