Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, this is my first post so would like to say hello to all the fellow dog owners out there :)

i have a 20 month old female bichon and a 15 month old female bichon/havanese cross, they have both been spayed. we are thinking of getting another to add to the clan but not sure if another female would be best or a male (obviously he would be neutered).

any experience or help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
I suggest a male. From what I have gathered from many people is that females can be harder to get along other with females. While your 2 get along, it does not mean they will accept another female in their house. They might, but a male is a safer choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u for the reply, thats what my husband thinks

we was looking at adopting a dog under a year old, now wondering if we should get from puppy ie 8-10 weeks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both mine love other dogs, my eldest one prefers bigger dogs but the younger one is soo bouncy herself i think she would love it, shes too much for our older one sometimes who doesnt want to constantly play

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Unless you have dogs with same sex aggression or intact animals I personally don't think it matters as much as other people think. Regardless of what sex your new dog is there will be an adjustment period and proper introductions must be made. IMO you'll be just fine if you have two well adjusted dogs and get a male or female. Now, if one of your dogs has same sex aggression issues then it's best to get a male to make the transition much smoother. Were your dogs intact it would obviously complicate things to have an intact male around the house, but intact dogs are also more likely to exhibit same sex aggression in many peoples' experience.

I have two intact males, and if I get another dog in the future I intend for it to be a male as well- likely to be left intact unless I have a good reason to neuter. I've never had any issues with my boys, nor has my breeder who has multiple intact females.

All that said, most people would agree that getting the opposite sex of your current dog(s) is less likely to be problematic than the same sex. But, if you find the perfect girl dog I wouldn't pass just because you think you need to get a male.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duckdodgers that was great advice thank u

my girls arent aggressive at all, my eldest showed signs of domination when we first introduced the younger one but the tables soon turned when the younger one recently showed signs of dominance but overall the older one is the alpha. Myself and my hubby have had to do alot of training to show we are the pack leader and all is well soo far

think i would sway to get a male and know my hubby would prefer tobut as u day, i wouldnt discount the perfect one if she was female

now i have to endure some family and friends saying that we are mad to get another dog, i dont see the big deal myself, my kids love having the dogs around and there are guidelines and boundaries in place, ultimitely its our decision so we will see what happens

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I havent been here for about a year. Sorry to come when i need help and advise. Please help me save our dogs (family ) lives. For the entire details, please read the information in the link below and please share it. Thank you for your time and concern. My family and i appreciate it. My name is Eric. My number is 216-904-9904 for anyone who would to speak directly.

gofundme.com/saveourfamilylives

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts