Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im a new user to dogforum, so forgive me if im not writing in the same terminology in this field :)

I live in a tall, fenced area with a half-acre garden with my mother, sister and grandma and throughout the past two years have had people stealing our air conditioners and snipping the electricity off our intercoms in the dead of night, along with other u pleasant incidences.
Im a student and used to take care of two rottweilers for two years and they were absolute gems but sadly old age too them and they passed away.
Never had a problem with rotties but since then ive been looking into gaurd breeds that can wouldnt mind spending (when fully trained) A few hours a day in the garden and the rest of the time indoors with my family.
I have at least 16 hours in the day free so time is not an issue in terms of training. And also if theyre not heavy shedders (heavier than rotties) that would be great, cos that would drive my mum up the wall :D !!!
I came upon breeds like dobermans, pitbulls, boerboels, dogos being thrown into conversation. I was wondering if anyone could possibly lend me their experience :)?
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Honestly, why not another Rottie? You already have the experience with them and they are pretty loyal dogs to their people. Add in the deterrent factor by their size and colour. I would not recommend a Boerboel nor Dogo to a family with limited experience with harder dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah no i just heard of those breeds in conversation one time, was wondering what (if any) would be the difference in raising any of those breeds in comparison to rottweilers.
If i may ask, what exactly do you mean by harder? Do you mean in terms of trainability?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts