Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is going on when a dog (whippet) has liver shunts and then contracts a GI infection? When the vet told us, it was really complicated so I was hoping to find some more info on it. Anyways, the prognosis we were given was very bleak so I'd like to understand exactly why that is.

Thanks,
WR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you, and that you're going through this. I would suggest you call the vet and ask for clarification. You have a right to know and understand exactly what's going on. Don't let the vet rush the discussion. They should walk you through it and take the time to answer your questions. I hope your whippet comes through ok. Please keep us posted if you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,840 Posts
I agree with Lukesfamily.

Sometimes vets forget that their clients aren't usually well versed in medical terminology and concepts, so they talk over your head. You just need to ask for clarification, and they should be willing to talk you through it so you understand it better. You might want to write all your questions down so you remember to ask all of them when you call or go in. If your vet is rude or inconsiderate of you, it might be worth seeking a second vet.

Unfortunately I can't help much. Hopefully if anybody else here has been through something similar, they will see this thread and share their knowledge and experience with you.

Sending heeling vibes to your pup...Keep us updated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We put our whippet to sleep this morning. Didn't think I was attached as much I was to her but it really sucked to do this. Lots of tears.

Evidently, the combo of GI and shunts is bad. Got some explanation but still very complex. From what I can piece together: Essentially blood was pooling around her liver and not going to where it needed to go. Her blood pressure was very low and her blood work was very bad. Their were pumping anti-biotics into her but wasn't helping and the infection was likely spreading. They did blood work a couple times and it did not show improvement. Liver shunts always caused fluid build up in her abdomen and we had to get it drained every so often. Just a day after being admitted this time, she also started building up fluid in her chest which had never happened before. Her breathing was labored. They could have drained it but it's a much more painful and dangerous procedure (chance of puncturing lungs and what not). We asked the vet if there was anything positive that could give us hope but she told us no. Essentially we could prolong her life a bit longer but it would be more painful and might have to insert feeding tubes (she hadn't eaten for several days) and maybe do a blood transfusion. We chose to end it. Not sure if it was the right choice. Feeling very guilty for not taking her in earlier and second guessing the decision to euthanize her.

She was sick for sure but she still had some pep to her:
a few hours before she died, we took her outside to pee and she tried to pull us to the car to go home instead of going back inside the vet. When we walked into the room, her adorable ears still perked up as usual.

So sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you made the right decision to help her. But painful for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top