Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. When I first adopted my dog I was feeding her something I found at Target. She really enjoyed her food and had no issues. In the week and a half I have transitioned her to Taste of the Wild, she has become extremely gassy. I know boxers fart, but the frequency has shot up. I am thinking about switching back to what she was on before.
Her stool is also softer, which I thought was due to the transition. Her ratios are now mostly ToW with just some kibbles of the older stuff.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds definitely that your dog is not handling the TOTW well. It doesn't work well for all dogs, in fact I have never fed it to my dogs because I tried it with two of my dogs years ago and they both got dull fur, started shedding, and had gas like yours. I changed the food and all went back to normal. Stop feeding that and give your dog something else.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hello. When I first adopted my dog I was feeding her something I found at Target. She really enjoyed her food and had no issues. In the week and a half I have transitioned her to Taste of the Wild, she has become extremely gassy. I know boxers fart, but the frequency has shot up. I am thinking about switching back to what she was on before.
Her stool is also softer, which I thought was due to the transition. Her ratios are now mostly ToW with just some kibbles of the older stuff.
I don't know which food you purchased at Target, but Big Box and grocery stores usually carry junk. Most dog food companies use additives (salt especially) to entice dogs and fool their owners in the process.
I recommend checking out dogfoodadvisor.com for good and honest reviews that cannot be bought.
Many once good dog food companies have been bought out by the big corporations just to get their name.

Here is a chart ( a few yrs old now) that lays bare who makes what), provided by @CachetheBC

·
Registered
368 Posts
Perhaps consider adding in a probiotic/digestive enzymes of some kind, - plain yogurt, or Kefir can help to settle the digestive tract. A switch in food, especially to one with higher protein or change in carbohydrate source can cause some gastro upset while their system adjusts to the new diet. I have found that usually with the addition of a probiotic their system settles if you can give it some time. Adding a little plain canned pumpkin can help to make the stools firmer as well.

You may also want to consider transitioning more slowly as well - some dogs are more sensitive to change in diet than others.

Reactions: Buzzu2
1 - 4 of 4 Posts