Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my 11 month old GSD was on Purina lamb and rice but always seemed hungry! I searched for an alternative in our price range and decided on Authority dog food. We chose to keep her on the lamb and rice for an easier change for her. We weaned her into her new food like youre supposed to, so I know that isn't my problem... I will be sitting there and I hear her tummy gurgling, then the most repulsive smelling fart comes out. I mean, it makes her move!! She is eating fine, she has never been picky! Another reason for the switch was because we noticed her eating her poop. We have still noticed her doing it a few times since the change though. She has been on authority for about 3 weeks!! Should I keep up with this food? I have enough of it left to wean her onto something new, I was thinking maybe the grain free authority option?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm not a fan of Purina, but poop eating isn't cause to switch food IMO, lots of puppies/dogs eat poop. There's something you can buy from the local pet store that you can put in their food to make the poop taste bad, but I personally haven't tried it. If the new food is causing gas I would switch back or (preferably) switch to a higher quality food.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
A She has been on authority for about 3 weeks!! Should I keep up with this food? I have enough of it left to wean her onto something new, I was thinking maybe the grain free authority option?
There is something in the new food that your dog can't tolerate. You could probably compare ingredients and find out what it is. The Authority grain free looks a lot better. I like Zignature and Go grain free

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try swapping to a poultry version of the food or possibly a grain free or less grainy than your current food? Dogs can use more of the protein from chicken than they can of lamb, or soya/wheat/maize. The leftover proteins ferment in the large intestine making smelly gas/poo! More protein the dog can use = less smell!

·
Registered
722 Posts
The foods are pretty different. There's still a lot of ingredients in the new food. Maybe try something even simpler such as Nutrisource Lamb and Rice or Natural Balance Lamb and Rice. If your dog did well on a lamb and rice food before(aside from the poop eating behavior), then I would stick with some sort of Lamb and Rice formula. Natural Balance would be a good option for you for now.

For the poop eating behavior, you could try giving your dog a multi vitamin or you could try Stop Eating Poop, which is a supplement made by Solid Gold that you give to your dog and it's supposed to make their poop taste bad. It doesn't work for every dog though. Depends on what's causing the behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts