Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My young dog (year and a half) has hip dysplasia and two bad knees. We are currently saving up for surgery.
In the mean time, does anyone have suggestions or experience with games we can play with him, that wouldn't hurt him too badly?

He loves chasing his rope toy around the yard, while we hold it and fling it about. But that's just too hard on his joints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Games for dogs with bad knees/hips

My young dog (year and a half) has hip dysplasia and two bad knees. We are currently saving up for surgery.
In the mean time, does anyone have suggestions or experience with games we can play with him, that wouldn't hurt him too badly?

He loves chasing his rope toy around the yard, while we hold it and fling it about. But that's just too hard on his joints.
The only thing I could think of when I had a dog with this problem was giving her some think toys like a kong. I took her for walks in my childs bike trailer/stroller and she liked when I rubbed her belly.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Do you have access to any large body of water? Pool? Lake? Swimming is great exercise and easy on the knees and hips. Not to mention will surely tire him out after a little bit of that. Maybe a bunch of water retrievals.

Reactions: timber
1 - 4 of 4 Posts