Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So say in a few years time i want to get a puppy reason being i can bring the dog up from puppy hood know its entire history and i've trained it like with Jessie and charlie.

However i am looking at another shih tzu because i love their coats, lovely breed, lap dogs, like the grooming involved, small dog , doesn't require too much exercise like a lab, cheaper to feed and look after(apart from emergency bills i may add)

however i need a small dog that doesn't shed, gets on with other dogs(Jessie in this case) trainable especially house training not too easy not too hard. I like the smooth soft coats not the coarse ones. Nothing too intelligent as Jessie its hard to stay a step ahead of her all the time! companion dog and watchdog. Preferably one that isnt too fast at escaping but now i know how to concur that (though Jess taken it up again so re working on that :eek: )

what other breeds are there for me? opinions? max weight would be 6-7kg anything smaller welcome

Edit to add im very determined it will come from a reptubale breeder who tests for EVERYTHING but what do breeders test for exactly please?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think they test for eye problems, hearing, x rays for joints , patella, hips, any genetic problems? thats if i remember right.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Personally I love Shih Tzus. Definitely one of my favorite small and fuzzy breeds if not the favorite. They can have their share are of health issues as you listed but most purebreds do.

Others you might like could be Lhasa Apsos, Maltese, Havanese, and Coton de Tulears. The last one is very rare and expensive but probably the healthiest due to that rarity. And if you get any dog from a puppy they'll likely get along with any dog you already have. Even dog reactive dogs can get along great with pack mates.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Havanese are the first ones to come to mind :)

also since you are moving to the UK check out the Kennel Club website The Kennel Club

They have an assured breeder scheme and links to rescues.

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a jack Russell short hair easy to manage easy to walk very good temperament all due to bringing him up properly had training classes when he was young this is a perfect little dog if you decided to get a small dog

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I think you would really enjoy a maltese or perhaps a mini poodle! Shih tzu's are one of the more difficult breeds, believe it or not. I think you might like something that's a little more handler oriented, just as a change. You've done so well with Jesse and her obedience, you would probably have a blast training a dog that will be very eager to work with you.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I think you'd like a mini poodle too!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'll plug a poodle, mini or toy depending on size preferences. I have two standards and they adore training. Mine are smart, but generally not mischievous.

For testing: PCA and VIPoodle have good information. I'm not familiar with poodle clubs in the UK or NZ, but I'm sure they have equivalent references.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I love Shih Tzus. Definitely one of my favorite small and fuzzy breeds if not the favorite. They can have their share are of health issues as you listed but most purebreds do.

Others you might like could be Lhasa Apsos, Maltese, Havanese, and Coton de Tulears. The last one is very rare and expensive but probably the healthiest due to that rarity. And if you get any dog from a puppy they'll likely get along with any dog you already have. Even dog reactive dogs can get along great with pack mates.
Thanks, yes i do love shih tzus too. Jessie is half shih tzu and probably more to do where bred(byb) had so many health problems not funny but they under control till i didnt give her enough bone in :/ :(

those breeds are they very yappy? i know maltese can be going from groomers three!

Tests vary by breed. Some tests are done for many breeds and others are more breed specific. This site has the testing and links to testing (can even search results) for many breeds. It is US based though so testing may vary. Still should give an idea of what to look for.
Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Breeds
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! shame shih tzu isnt on there but great to look at it for breeds i may want to get so thanks so much!

Havanese are the first ones to come to mind :)

also since you are moving to the UK check out the Kennel Club website The Kennel Club

They have an assured breeder scheme and links to rescues.
hmmmm havense never considered one of them will have a look at them and thanks for that link! good thinking that.

I think you would really enjoy a maltese or perhaps a mini poodle! Shih tzu's are one of the more difficult breeds, believe it or not. I think you might like something that's a little more handler oriented, just as a change. You've done so well with Jesse and her obedience, you would probably have a blast training a dog that will be very eager to work with you.
Only thing i dont like about poodles is the hair is so curly and would be even worse when blowing their coat as a puppy with matts......... also arent they one owner orientated and fussy with training treats? going from what ive seen that is. Groomer has x 3 maltese dogs lovely but omg the yapping and barking amount hands right over my ears!

Seriously re shih tzus? house training yes but when Jess was a puppy till 8 month old she would train so well and so easily she was the best in the class when at pup pre school and puppy school! then domestic two she was the best at down stays! only as got older been bit tricky because of my errors i made along the way and what she got used to with me training her that she focuses on that mistake lol. though have to say if i did get another shih tzu at least im prepared for what can go wrong!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Only thing i dont like about poodles is the hair is so curly and would be even worse when blowing their coat as a puppy with matts......... also arent they one owner orientated and fussy with training treats?
Poodles don't "blow" coat the way some dogs do; however, they do go through a coat change process as they mature. Mine are 4 1/2 and 22 months and I didn't notice any increase in matting as they lost their puppy coats. My younger boy is prone to mats on his ears, but that can be solved by clipping his fur shorter.

In generally, I think poos tend to be handler oriented, but that doesn't mean one person oriented. Mine are equally fond of my husband and me. My girl loves everyone; my boy is timid, but warms up to new people quickly.

Fussy with treats? My girl won't eat carrots (unless she sees the puppy eating them), but I've not found anything else they won't eat. If it's food, they're game.

That's based on my limited experience. If you think you're interested in poodles, talk to more owners and breeders.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
My friend has a miniature poodle who's a love bug. Delilah is super cuddly, loves nothing more then to sit on someones lap (preferably my friends), and is friendly towards nearly everyone but can be a bit shy towards strange men. Her coat does lean towards matting if it's not bushed every day but that's solved by keeping her clipped short.

Have you considered a Bichon Frise? If I was looking for a pure breed it's one that I'd consider. They've always struck me as such fun dogs. Bichon Frise Club of America – Member of American Kennel Club

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@spotsonofbun havenese look adorable! reading up on them i can see myself with one of them :)

Oh btw i was naughty today went to the warehouse( USA walmart) to get a few things then right next door to it is a pet shop i wanted to see if they had charlies acana light and it food because they sell acana and orijen there. Well there was 2 pups there shih tzu x chi omg the one i held (black and white) was just a mini Jessie only difference being could see this puppy(female) face same height even!

omg i so forgot how tiny she was when a puppy compared to now lol. NO i didnt buy because im going to get from breeder learnt hard way there thanks!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think id need to meet more poodles but im not a fan of curly hair but then again i once thought shih tzus werent for me and that tehy werent that cute and proved wrong and instead of getting a fox terrier got shihtxu and australian terrier pup!
@Rain one of my customers has 2 of them but i dont know the dogs well. they are cute but not as cute as my Jessie :) but im biased there lol. my customers two are very bulky but are on kibble and possibly overweight

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
The havanese and the Bichon frise are actually like cousin breeds. They are related and have similar temperaments, builds and coats. I think the whole bichon family could suit you really well.

it includes the Havanese, Bichon frise, coton de tulear, bolognese and I think the Maltese is included too.

They are all on my list if I can't find a good poodle when the time comes. You could maybe consider the chinese crested, they come in two variates hairless and powderpuff (really fluffy) however they do tend to be a little nervous in my opinion. It's certainly a breed that you have to be super duper careful with breeders. To not only find a responsible one but also one with dogs with really solid temperaments.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I've never seen a picky poodle! I feel you on the fur, but then again, I don't really care for the type of fur you have to clip period. I like shedding coats. I don't think poodles are any more prone to matting than other coat types you have to clip, like shih tzus or maltese. As for being one person, I've seen them go both ways. I've seen some that are one owner oriented. I've seen others that are just social butterflies. I'm not sure how much of it is the breed vs. training and upbringing.

And yes, shih tzus can be very independent lol. It's not that they don't make good companions regardless. They are very sweet little dogs with a moderate energy level. But in my experience with shih tzus, they definitely are more difficult to train and harder to motivate than say, a mini poodle, or a maltese. A mini poo or maltese will work to make you happy because they enjoy the attention and praise. A shih tzu wants to know whats in it for them, and if the payout isn't there, they may decide they just don't feel like doing it.

Tibetan spaniel comes to mind for another breed to think about. The Tibetan doesn't have the coat type you want, but the coat is still pretty low shed and easy maintenance. They're smart, trainable, very playful and friendly. The Lhasa has a more high maintenance coat and is more like a shih tzu in temperament. Not always the most obedient, more independent, harder to motivate.

If you enjoy a more challenging dog, another breed that's similar to the shih tzu is a lhasa apso. Their coat is more high maintenance and they're not known for being super trainable. They're more independent than a shih tzu.

Affenpinchers are a more bold breed. They're almost more terrier like. But they're fun, playful, sometimes naughty or mischievous. Generally easy to train but they have their moments lol. They're a more rare breed though, so you might have trouble finding a good breeder.

Oh, and of course a mini schnauzer! I do think you would like one. Grooming is similar to a shih tzu. Friendly dogs, relatively easy to train, moderate energy. You can do fun things with their coat too.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen a picky poodle! I feel you on the fur, but then again, I don't really care for the type of fur you have to clip period. I like shedding coats. I don't think poodles are any more prone to matting than other coat types you have to clip, like shih tzus or maltese. As for being one person, I've seen them go both ways. I've seen some that are one owner oriented. I've seen others that are just social butterflies. I'm not sure how much of it is the breed vs. training and upbringing.

And yes, shih tzus can be very independent lol. It's not that they don't make good companions regardless. They are very sweet little dogs with a moderate energy level. But in my experience with shih tzus, they definitely are more difficult to train and harder to motivate than say, a mini poodle, or a maltese. A mini poo or maltese will work to make you happy because they enjoy the attention and praise. A shih tzu wants to know whats in it for them, and if the payout isn't there, they may decide they just don't feel like doing it.

Tibetan spaniel comes to mind for another breed to think about. The Tibetan doesn't have the coat type you want, but the coat is still pretty low shed and easy maintenance. They're smart, trainable, very playful and friendly. The Lhasa has a more high maintenance coat and is more like a shih tzu in temperament. Not always the most obedient, more independent, harder to motivate.

If you enjoy a more challenging dog, another breed that's similar to the shih tzu is a lhasa apso. Their coat is more high maintenance and they're not known for being super trainable. They're more independent than a shih tzu.

Affenpinchers are a more bold breed. They're almost more terrier like. But they're fun, playful, sometimes naughty or mischievous. Generally easy to train but they have their moments lol. They're a more rare breed though, so you might have trouble finding a good breeder.

Oh, and of course a mini schnauzer! I do think you would like one. Grooming is similar to a shih tzu. Friendly dogs, relatively easy to train, moderate energy. You can do fun things with their coat too.
Thanks donna and thanks for answering one thing i was wondering about! i bolded what i was wondering about Jessie wont come inside when asked she will stand there after goign toilet and get wet if it rains. Unless i say want a treat wont come inside yet i need to get her to come inside without a treat. She will come inside when she feels like it but more often im saying bye and shut the door and slide the lock most times it works but not recently.

other times i have back door open she goes outside sits there for ages then barks like telling me off i can say do you want to play sometimes comes running plays then goes and does it again.other times she just keeps barking i have to go to her and get her to stand stay or whatever and pick her up carry her inside.

she is starting to be a nuisance with the barking and its not the type barking when next door dog is out its a single bark like angry? i can get it on video and put on youtube if you like? it puzzles me but i thought it was the terrier side of her personality not the shih tzu....... so maybe her personality going from terrier to shih tzu more now? she started escaping again when given chance. Normally she great walking from brothers to mine but she took off, another time dad let off lead as she normally goes straight to the house not that time! then had a scare not long ago actually thought she would go to car as dad got in car let her walk with me had treats on me even she went across the street lucky for her the car had parked 10 secs before so third strike no longer trusted on lead as soon as open gate! so i can see why more independent.

other then shall we say the stubborness i love shih tzus. very loyal, companionship, loving and she does want to please me just not to the extent of charlie :) talking of who required 20 min pin brush and 20 min furminator grooming with hair going up my nose in my mouth eyes etc i really need a non shedding dog esp for my allergies!

will look at breeds mentioned thanks :) btw any advice on my current issue with jess when outside be appreciated.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
https://youtu.be/Yaz3KBoVGgA
this is classic behaviour she does when outside in garden but today was a good day for her coming in as quickly as she did normally she wont for a good 20 mins at times. if not 20 mins feels like forever!

Given she was unwell for past two days its probably why she come in as fast as she did. i know yawning is a sign of anxiety but she was previously asleep and she is asleep now. reluctant to walk her as she had direha and it be embarrasing to pick up and hard in public to pick up.

cant get it to embed sorry

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
https://youtu.be/Yaz3KBoVGgA
this is classic behaviour she does when outside in garden but today was a good day for her coming in as quickly as she did normally she wont for a good 20 mins at times. if not 20 mins feels like forever!

Given she was unwell for past two days its probably why she come in as fast as she did. i know yawning is a sign of anxiety but she was previously asleep and she is asleep now. reluctant to walk her as she had direha and it be embarrasing to pick up and hard in public to pick up.

cant get it to embed sorry
here are 2 pics when she being stubborn.
if anything got her attention no idea what as i was standing in back door and couldnt see a thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Only thing i dont like about poodles is the hair is so curly and would be even worse when blowing their coat as a puppy with matts......... also arent they one owner orientated and fussy with training treats? going from what ive seen that is. Groomer has x 3 maltese dogs lovely but omg the yapping and barking amount hands right over my ears!
My toy poodle didn't have any problems with matted hair. We kept her puppy cut because we thought it was cuter. I think she might have gotten brushed bi-weekly.

Here are 2 pictures of her:

Reactions: crazy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts