Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

I have a 7 year old pitbull that was recently diagnosed with an impacted anal gland which led to perianal furniculosis and I was hoping to hear from others who have had similar experiences.

As I said he had been diagnosed with perianal furniculosis and was being treated with medication. My veterinarian recently admitted that he has no idea what is going on because my dog is a "difficult case". He is currently on a regimen of Cyclosporine, Ketoconazole, Prednisone and Augmentin which has helped the anal gland but does not seem to be helping the furniculosis. Today I was told that the anal gland tissue is now "thickened" which was "concerning" to the doctor and he is now recommending neuter and a biopsy of the anal gland and the furniculosis site.

While I appreciate and am very grateful for everything that my veterinarian is doing it is concerning to me that he admitted he has no idea what is wrong with my dog. I want to do the best thing for my dog so I'm struggling to decide if surgery is the best option out is a second opinion is warranted?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts