Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am seeking advice on what may be causing a 6 week old German Shepherd puppy to have thinning fur on the tops of his ears and the tip of his tail. My breeders vet said that he’s healthy.

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
Perhaps before you exchange money you should have an independent vet examine him. You would obviously have to pay for this but better to pay that than take on a pup with health problems, which also would likely not be covered by insurance as they are a pre-existing condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The breeder has offered to give us the pup for free, as she doesn’t know what is the cause of the hair thinning and is afraid that it might be alopecia. I was just curious as to whether anyone has seen this before in a pup so young. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
415 Posts
Free could turn out to be be costly if you have to spend the next 12 years or so paying for something like allergy medication because you can't get insurance to cover it. That's obviously a worst case scenario but I'd still recommend an independent vet check.

·
Super Moderator
10,733 Posts
Did they do a skin scrape? Best case it's what's commonly called puppy mange, worst case somethings going on with his immune system.

Personally I'd run, not walk, away from a breeder that's giving away a sick puppy at 6 weeks of age. In my state it's illegal to give away, or sell, a puppy before it's 7 weeks old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will still be a couple of weeks before I can get him from the breeder. She just wanted to make me aware of what was going on with him. Her vet is still investigating. I’m not sure what test they’ve run.

·
Super Moderator
10,733 Posts
It will still be a couple of weeks before I can get him from the breeder. She just wanted to make me aware of what was going on with him. Her vet is still investigating. I’m not sure what test they’ve run.
That changes things then! I'm sorry for thinking that she was giving you the puppy now, when it's only 6 weeks old. Hopefully it's nothing serious and if you decide to get him you'll have a great dog. I researched a bit and cannot find anything that conclusively states what it could be, and what they do say is already named in this thread.

·
Registered
168 Posts
He’s still with the breeder. The breeder sent me this picture when describing the issues that he is having.
Sorry I presumed you already had the pup.. As others have said this could be a money pit. Unless you are ready for the possibility of having to pay for constant treatment and expensive tests I wouldnt go anywhere near this pup or this breeder .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts