Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I noticed that Isa, my british inuit, had a bare patch on her back about the size of a 10p piece. I smothered it in aloe vera, made sure she didn't lick it, it didn't spread and the hair started to grow back.

The thing is, the hair is growing back a different colour. She's grey and white and the patch is growing back a sort of russet colour. I know that sometimes after an injury the hair will grow back white - I've seen that with my horses - but I've never seen hair grow back a completely different colour! Any ideas?

Picture of Isa just because she's lovely ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
She is beautiful :)
I know if a siamese gets hurt/looses the hair, it grows in dark, but not sure about dogs! Interesting. I wonder if it will go back to it's normal color after a shed/regrowth? What was the cause of the bare patch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that about siamese! Hmm, interesting.

Not sure what caused it, but because it didn't spread I don't think it was any sort of skin condition. I think she might have caught herself on the fence as she ran underneath it maybe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just learned the other day that soft coated wheatens, when they get a wound, the fur grows back dark! But it will shed back out to the wheaten color. Maybe the same with your dog, who knows! :)

And the reason I know this about siamese? I dated a guy in HS who's dad had one. They lived on a golf course, and the cat got run over by the lawn mower!!!! Luckily cat was ok (went to the vet of course) but the fur grew in dark. I don't know if it came back in light or not later? I think I recall learning later it has to do with the temperature of the skin. Colder areas grow darker. Not sure why just happens in siamese. And now I wonder if it's the same reason in wheatens... hmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts