Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we were getting a little OT in the what has your dog destroyed thread, and I LOVE dog stories-so SHARE!!

What has your dog done that's incredible, heart warming, hilarious, weird or ridiculous? Other dogs you know, or stories you've read-share!!

My first: This I read in a 'true dog story' book -loved that book!

Anyways, this woman lived out in a rural area and had one dog. She always would take him for long walks in the woods. One afternoon her dog's hackles went up as he nosed around in the bushes-she realized he was nose-to-nose with a wolf :eek:

But no fight ensued. She often saw the wolf and others, but they seemed to understand her and her dog meant no harm and they never had any conflict.

One day, she's walking in the woods, and these men come up on ATV's. They start jostling her and from what they are saying she's certain she's going to be raped.

Her dog RUNS OFF:eek:

She's devastated and scared, and the men are getting pushier.

Then her dog shows up-WITH THE WHOLE WOLF PACK!!!! They growl down the men and the men leave.

Still gives me shivers to think about-how amazing.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Man- I do not even know where to start.. when I was a child, my parents had a ton of training books around the house all the time. We had all books everywhere.. what was funny was the dogs would target the training books to destroy.. ( how is that for a start..)
/edit- Hottie picked my husband.. He would snub ever growl at all men up until then.. So my ( now) husband ( we were dating at the time) came to pick me up for work as my car as in the shop and here comes my teen daughter down the stairs.. I said " where are you going?" when the door bell rang and she said " to watch Hotti snub this man...".. So I get ready come down only to find- not only did Hottie say hello but stood up on his back feet, well over my husbands head and grin like a werwolf" ( his greeting reserved only to me..)... I went 'hmmm need to look at this man more..' and a year later- we were married.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
So I have a lot from "true story" type books like what mikey read. (love those types of books!)

Here's one, this woman was driving a brand new truck with a full tank of gas and a trailer attached full of thousands of dollars worth of antiques. Driving to a show, she is paralyzed (uses a wheelchair) and has a companion Rottwelier along with her, she is in for a 12 hr. drive but only less than a 1/2 hr. from home she hears a really loud "pop!" noise and her truck swerves. her cab starts filling with smoke and flames and she tries to put it out with the pepsi she had, but it didn't work. She opens the door and pushes her dog out, cus her lungs are smaller and more likely to incapacitate her quicker and she starts to try to put together her wheelchair but she can't gather all the parts quick enough. Her rottie keeps trying to jump back in, and the lady keeps trying to push her out and the dog keeps coming back even though she is getting her paws burned.

Finally, the Rottie has enough and grabs the lady by the leg where she can't feel anything and hauls her out of the truck. The lady's head hits the ground on the way out and she is knocked unconcious. when she wakes up she is about 10 feet away from the truck and suddenly it explodes. the rottie drags her owner another 20 or so feet away cus it is way to close for her.

Soon, a police officers arrive but the dog still is fearful for her lady and won't let the officers close so since the patrol cars are like 25 feet away she grabs the dog's collar and the rottie helps pull her to the cars.

Later when the woman goes to see her truck wrecked in the dump, the dog tries to pull her wheelchair away cus she can smell the smoke. And an organization wanted to award the dog for her bravery in saving the woman but it said it takes at least 90 days for the process of the award nomination but for her, it took only 2 weeks :)

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW Great story MSE!!!

I have one-not along those lines, along the 'this dog is goof'

So this is my parent's friend's husky (after hearing the stories and meeting the dog they STILL decided to get a husky *rolls eyes* hehe)

They're walking her off leash in a mountain trail, and suddenly she takes off and won't respond. They run and come across this picnic of very angry german people..."ZAT wolf stole our fish" they say...yup-she bombed into the picnic and stole these peoples' lunch :p

And another time, same set up-walking off leash in the woods (yeh, huskies are great off leash!) she takes off again-then they hear scraming. She's trying to take down a HORSE who is in a group of HORSES all being ridden. And she's attacking the flank trying to take down a kill. VERY embarassing and potentially bad situation...averted.

Another time they are in an off leash marsh, and the dog finds duck inards-from a hunter cleaning the duck and leaving the junk behind. She takes the stomach in her mouth and won't let go-at all. They had to put her in the hatch with the intestines in the door jam because she would not drop it.... GROSS!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
that is one crazy husky haha! I love how the germans called her a wolf hehe :p

~MSE

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ i dunno if you've seen pics of my parent's husky mix, but she looks nothing like a wolf...several times they've been on vacation and people have asked to take a photograph of her because they thought she was a wolf...?? LOL :p

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The husky my parents' friend owned?

She lived until she was 12, causing trouble wherever she went, and inspired way to many of my parent's friends to get terrible huskies :p

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Funny and Not so funny

This morning I was loading the dishwasher and Kimber was being very nosy! He kept licking the dishes I was putting in the bottom tray and I kept shooing him out of the kitchen. Well somehow his tag gets caught on the dishwasher drawer and he must have panicked because he took off running, throwing dishes all over the floor as they fell out of the tray and dragging the tray behind him! Poor guys was so scared but it was such a sight to see him dragging the dishes through the house!

So I get him unattached from the dish tray and I am just so worried about him being scared of the dishwasher. So I call him into the kitchen and he won't come. So I get a treat and he comes to me and leaves and we repeat. Then I open the dishwasher and he freezes! Oh great Kimber has another Phobia!!! :eek: So I left the dishwasher opened and left the kitchen. Eventually he very hesitantly approached the dishwasher and started smelling it so he got more treats. I spent about 30 minutes opening and shutting the dishwasher until he was comfortable around it again :lolsign:

Now I just need to do this with the Vac, Garbage Truck, Fork Lift, and anything else that makes a loud noise.:eyeroll:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Not one of mine, but I thought you guys would like this. The first time I heard this story was on a trip with my mom to my brothers swim meet. From that time on we would stop at the original memorial every time we were in Fort Benton.
The Story of Shep, Forever Faithful

Over seventy years ago. Montana was still the untamed west, with cowboys and shepherds, high plains and mountains, and wide open spaces. There were, as there are today, miles of wilderness and prairie, full of antelope and prairie dogs, rabbits and coyotes, but very few people! Our true story has to do with railroads and shepherds in the wide open spaces of Montana. It is a story about one very special sheep dog.

Shepherds lived on the wide prairies, where their sheep had room to graze. They had wagons and tents, and they moved from place to place with the sheep. Sometimes they went for weeks without seeing another person. But their loyal dogs worked with them, ate with them, and slept by their side. Their dogs were their best friends.

When people wanted to travel across Montana, many of them went by rail. The trains were very important in crossing the vast distances of the West. People depended on the railroads; almost everything and anyone going very far went by train.

This is how it was those many years ago, in the summer of 1936, when a sheep herder
became ill and was brought to the hospital in a little town called Fort Benton.

Fort Benton might not have been big, but it was famous. Before the railroads, Fort Benton was the last stop for the steamboats that came up the Missouri River, bringing men and supplies to the Montana gold
rushes. But when the railroads came, people didn't need the steamboats any more. Fort Benton became a quieter town, but still full of history, as it is today.

When the sick sheepherder was brought to town, his dog came too. Usually it was the dog's job to stay behind and take care of the sheep. But this dog, who would later be called Shep, came into Fort Benton with his master, and waited for him at the hospital door. Sadly, after three days, Shep's master died. His family in Ohio asked that his body be sent back home, and so it was sent on the train.

Shep followed from the hospital to the train station, and watched as the casket was put into the baggage car. He whined when the door was shut and the engine slowly started to pull away from the station. Then, with his head down, Shep turned and trotted down the tracks.

Shep dug himself a hole for a bed under the depot. He found the way to the river for water. Then, he settled in to wait. The Fort Benton train depot seemed lonely: there was just the small town, the green cottonwood trees, and the wide prairie with mountains far away. But from that day on, Shep stayed at the depot, and he met every train that came into the station. Through the long hot summer and the cold Montana winter; in rain, snow or shine: nothing kept Shep from meeting the train.

When the trains pulled in, the little station was busy with passengers and baggage, tickets and freight, loading and unloading. In all that bustle, it might have been easy not to notice the dog who watched each passenger get off the train, then went back to his house under the station to wait some more. But the conductor who came through that station saw him every day, and he wanted to know Shep's story. The conductor's name was Ed Shields, and he worked for the Great Northern Railroad. Together with the station agent, A. V. "Tony" Schanche, he pieced Shep's story together. They learned that Shep's master had died, and that Shep had already waited for two years for him to come back, meeting every train! They got a veterinarian to come visit Shep several times a year to take care of him. The veterinarian said Shep was an Australian Shepherd.

The Great Northern Railroad printed Shep's story in a little booklet that it sold to its passengers. That was when Shep became one of the most famous dogs in the world. Newspapers and magazines everywhere wrote about him, and he was featured in Ripley's "Believe It or Not." Shep got so many letters that the railroad assigned a secretary to answer his mail! School children sent him Christmas presents. Rail travelers came to Fort Benton especially just to stop there and see Shep meet their train.

People wanted to take pictures of Shep, and to make friends with him. Many people wanted to take him home. Sheepherders were especially interested in Shep. Some fifty shepherds had asked about him, said Agent Schanche. Often they came to Fort Benton in person to see Shep, hoping to take him home.

But Shep didn't want another master. He already had one: and he was waiting for him. So Shep's friends, the railroaders and station employees, said no. Shep had food from the dining car stewards. There was water available. There was the nest under the station platform. Shep knew that if the winter nights grew too cold, he could sleep inside the station. And so for five and one-half years, Shep waited. He met every train until the last day of his life.

After five years, Shep was no longer a young dog. He couldn't hear as well, and he wasn't as quick on his feet as he used to be. Maybe he didn't hear the engine or realize how near it was when train No. 235 came to the Fort Benton station. When the engine was almost on him, Shep tried to move away, but he slipped on the snowy rails. The wheels crossed his body.

Shep had gone to meet his master.

Newspapers across the country carried the story. Letters poured in again. Trainmen and station employees mourned the death of Shep, their old friend.

Shep is buried at the top of the bluff overlooking the Fort Benton station, where he could see and hear the trains. There, he is still waiting.

The Great Northern Railroad put up a memorial. The Museum of the Upper Missouri shows off Shep's collar and dog bowl. In 1994, the town of Fort Benton unveiled a bronze statue of Shep. The money was raised by selling miniatures of the statue, as well as memorial bricks which were placed beneath it. Written on these bricks, people can remember the names of their own beloved pets along with Shep, the most faithful of dogs.

Copied from:
Story Line Trains

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^^awww. that is such a touching story.

there is another story, very similar to this one, Hachiko is an akita, who would see his master leave to go to the train station and would go and meet him at the train station every day after his master got off at his stop to come home. one day his master had a heart attack at work and passed away and hachiko didn't know that, but he went to the train station anyways. he is given away after his master's death but he escaped a lot and continued to visit the train station more, but only at the time his master's train is due. people at the train station would feed him snacks while the dog would wait. eventually he dies, but his devotion is so well known, a statue is erected at the train station in honor of him.

~MSE

·
Registered
898 Posts
there is another story, very similar to this one, Hachiko is an akita, who would see his master leave to go to the train station and would go and meet him at the train station every day after his master got off at his stop to come home. one day his master had a heart attack at work and passed away and hachiko didn't know that, but he went to the train station anyways. he is given away after his master's death but he escaped a lot and continued to visit the train station more, but only at the time his master's train is due. people at the train station would feed him snacks while the dog would wait. eventually he dies, but his devotion is so well known, a statue is erected at the train station in honor of him.
Yeah, I watched a video on youtube about Hachiko.

---

Ok, not a sad story or anything like y'all got, but I thought I'd share it anyway...

About a month ago, Tasha went up to my ferret Kiki's cage. Whenever we go downstairs that's usually where she goes first. If Kiki is awake and close enough to the bars, Tasha will lick her. Surprisingly, the ferret has yet to learn to stay away from the edge when the big slobbery pup is around. :p

Well that day, Tasha went over and was able to lick her. Tasha cocked her head to the side, ran over to the other side of the room, and came back with a toy in her mouth. She pressed the toy up against the side of the cage for a few seconds then she did a play bow. Kiki just watched her, but it was hilarious. When Kiki didn't play with her Tasha dropped the toy looked at her one last time and blew a puff of air out her mouth/nose that really sounded like a "how dare you not play with me, I just can't believe it!" type of noise, lol. With that she spun around, went a few steps the other way, and lay down looking quite dejected. I wish I had it on video camera cause that's the only time she's ever made that noise.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
lol, that's funny.

Sometimes, when my gpigs are in their bins when i clean their cage, I have seen Emmy try to play bow at them. occasionally she tries to paw at them, but she doesn't realize they aren't puppies and the gpigs don't realize she can hurt them. I also see Toadie reach up over the top of her bin and Emmy and her will go nose to nose, then Emmy will decide they don't do a good enough job keeping themselves clean so she will lick them all over (bums are paid special attention to :p) Asher has no worries about trying to nip at Emmy if she bothers her too much though. hehe.

~MSE

Reactions: K9Lover
1 - 16 of 16 Posts