Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to housetrain her for 2 months, today i took her out she pee's I bring her in 10 minutes later she pees on the floor 5 minutes after that she pees on the floor again. I take her out on a regular basis yet she still pees ALL THE TIME. she does not have a UTI. I don't understand why she keeps peeing. I have never had a dog take this long to housetrain. I can't possibly take her out every 5 minutes but she has started peeing the moment i bring her inside even after she pee's outside. She is making our livingroom smell horrible even tho we use resolve we go thru a roll of papertowels every couple days and its getting annoying having to clean up pee. It seems like no matter how often I take her out she still has accidents The past week she has had about 3-5 accidents a day despite being taken out on a regular basis. If She is not housetrained soon my mom has threatned to make her live outside. I am so tired of cleaning up pee every 5 minutes I know she can hold it longer she has held it in her crate for 6 hours and 12 hours at night. There is no reason why she should be peeing 3 times in a 20 minute time span

·
Registered
571 Posts
ok first calm down.

What the dog's age and when was the last time she was seen by a vet for this issue? Also how are you training the desired behaviour?

Could be a breed/age thing, some dogs take longer to mature than others and don't fully develop the bladder nerves until older (they actually have trouble telling if they have a full bladder or not)
or
Might not be a UTI but could be something else medical. (lots of things seriously UTI's and stones are the most common but there are literally dozens of things)
or
Some dogs do learn differently so you might need another approach to training.

Can't help you further until we have more info

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Is she spayed? That sounds like spay incontinence. (Or water diabetes, diabetes, UTI, stones, etc.)

How are you training her?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is 4 months old and I don't know her breed, ALL her siblings are completely housetrained. I take her out every 2 hours sometimes more often She used to whine to go out now she has stopped and gives us 0 warning I praise her every time she goes outside she went to the vet the first of this month and they didn't see any problems she can hold it 6 hours in crate and 12 at night but she pees all the time when not in crate She has peed 4 times within an hour today. I have never had this much trouble every other dog was good within a month or at least had improvement I have not seen any improvement with Bella in the 2 months that ive had her

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
How do you know that she does not have a UTI, did the vet do a urinalysis?

Are you giving her a very high value treat when you bring her outside or just praising her? Praise is not high value enough.

Unless that Resolve has an enzyme cleaner in it it is not good enough to clean up the accident, you need an enzyme clearner like Nature's Miracle.

Are you leaving her out long enough to let her pee multiple times? Lots of puppies do not empty their bladder in one go, they need to pee multiple times, if you bring the pup in to soon then they finish peeing on your floor.

Any way to keep her off the carpet since she has formed a habit of peeing on it?

How much freedom does she have? You may need to tether her to you, or put her in an x pen, unless you are 100% certain that her bladder is on empty.

She's 4 months old, in dog age that's around the age of a 3 or 4 year old child, she's to young to be reliably house trained, and I'm guessing her siblings really aren't either.

Reactions: Sha

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her siblings are really housetrained they have 0 accidents and bark to go outside every time. she pees everywhere not just on carpet. I know she will still have accidents and I know she doesn't have one because some days we don't have a problem we can go a week without an accident and then have a horrible week. Bella used to let us know when she had to go out but not anymore. We have not made any progress in 2 months there should be at least some progress instead I have seen NONE

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has access to livingroom kitchen and my room/ Which is all in sight range. since Im always in my room and my parents keep an eye on living room and kitchen we use a babygate to keep her out of the other rooms

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Potty training can be an incredibly frustrating experience, and can certainly test the patience of even the most experienced people.

I always try to let dogs pee twice while outside. There is so much to smell, and look at that if even she pees once, there is a very high probability that she still has pee in her bladder. When she comes back in, she's not as distracted and can relieve herself.

I would give Ian Dunbar's book "Before you Get Your Puppy" a read. I'll try to find the link as it is being offered as a free PDF. I think if you follow his instructions, you should hopefully have some success. :)

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
So once again...

Are you leaving her out long enough to let her pee multiple times? I asked that because I once had a puppy who it took me 8 MONTHS to housetrain an it was my fault, I would not leave him out long enough for him to really finish, then as he got older peeing inside became an ingrained habit. If you are not leaving her out long enough then her peeing in the house is your fault just like my boy's peeing in the house was my fault.

Are you giving her a very high value treat when you bring her outside or just praising her? I asked this because treats are one of the best ways to get a puppy to want to pee outside and form the habit of doing so. The higher the value the better. Praise is not very valuable.

Unless you are staring at her while she wanders in those rooms then there's no way to really notice if she's displaying any signs that she's fixing to potty. Doesn't matter if you can see her, it only matters if you are watching her.

Since you have not taken her to the vet you do not know that she does not have something medical going on. It's VERY important to rule that out because if she does have a medical problem then NOTHING you try, is going to work. It won't matter how many times you take her out, what treats you use, how perfect your management is, she will be physically unable to be housetrained. How often she's going is excessive. Once she learns to hold her bladder she should only need to go out around every 4 hours, she will not be able to hold her bladder if she has a medical problem.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/house-training-your-puppy
Dog Tip: Housetraining

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
A ha, found it:

Before You Get Your Puppy

and just in case you're interested:

After You Get Your Puppy

I like Ian Dunbar a lot, but the one thing I will say, is don't stress if your dog doesn't behave exactly how he says they will. He uses a lot of "if your dog does x, then y will happen" Well sometimes Z happens, so don't sweat it. He also imposes some very strict timelines, but again I think everyone has to go at the pace of their dog, and that is going to be different for everyone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We used the approach of giving water at several times throughout the day and making note of how long the pee took after the water and making sure she was outside at that time. As long as you offer water frequently this restriction will not hurt her. If she takes frequent small drinks instead of less frequent medium drinks, this will reflect in her pee schedule.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She will only pee once outside once she pees she spends the rest of the time pulling and pilling on the end of the leash to the point of choking herself to get back inside she hates it outside always has so once she pee's she wants to get back inside right after and won't do anything else. you can stay outside 30 more minutes the whole time she is trying to get back inside I can't get her to stay outside any longer i have to bring her in to keep her from choking herself

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She has been able to hold it. She has held it for up to 12 hours at night and 6 hours in the crate and somedays she holds it for 3 hours outside the crate. Each Day varies and I take her to the vet every month they don't see a problem I have told him the problems I am having and they don't seem worried or bothered since she has been holding it but the past week she has had accident's everyday. Last week was perfect very few accidents this week has been filled with accidents.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like today she has only had 1 accident if she had a medical problem she would not be able to hold it at night or in the crate she would have multiple accidents everyday but somedays we don't have any while other days we can have as many as 5 a day

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Why does she hate being outside? Use a harness so she's not choking herself but first figure out what it is about outside that is causing this reaction. This and this alone could be why she's going inside.

Why does she go to the vet once a month?

What was different about today that might have contributed to her having only one accident?

Until you step back and do some analyzing you are unlikely to understand how to teach her to go outside to potty.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure she is just a really fearful dog if someone comes in my room or comes in to fast she will growl and bark my friend was here the other day and she hid behind me and growled the entire time. Some days are better then other's some days she will stay outside longer but most of the time she won't I have been unable to find out why she hates it outside, And I do use a harness but she pulls so much she breaths really hard gasping for breath she goes once a month for parvo shots her last visit for her shots is next month

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been trying to figure out what it is outside she hates, she will go outside potty and want to come right back in. She has been like that since I got her I asked the people I got her from and they don't seem to know why either

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There wasn't anything different today so I dont understand why she only had 1 accident. Everything was the same as any other day

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
My suggestion is to learn how to help her overcome her fears. Not just fear of going outside but her fear of people too. It's possible she was never socialized during the critical socialization period. Whatever the reason, this dog is in need of behavior modification and patience from those she trusts to keep her safe.

I hope you consider looking at this site and maybe ordering the book Debbie Jacobs wrote. Fearfuldogs.com

This is an interview with Debbie that gives some insight into her background.
We Talk with Expert Debbie Jacobs About Fearful Dogs - Dogster

Now that you've explained more fully about your dogs behavior, it's more than just a house-training problem. Being frustrated at her having accidents is understandable but try to look at this through compassionate eyes and understand that your dog is not purposely having accidents. She needs your help.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.