Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 10 month old dog (from what I suspect was a puppy mill) that came to me very skittish and fearful of people and loud noises. Ihave only had the dog for about 10 weeks, but a lot has happened in those 10 weeks. To make a long story short, the dog ran AWAY from the dog park, and was struck by a car and ended in a leg cast with strict orders from the vet limiting exercise. Now the dog is becoming increasingly fearful of people including others living in my house. Recently, the dog has started growling when anyone approaches her and is now hurting herself in her crate (ripping off dew claws trying to get out) and now "screaming", peeing and pooping when anyone tries to approach her including her regular dog walker. I am SO frustrated as I have put a few thousand dollars into her medical bills, and am seeing nothing but worse and worse behaviour from her. Any suggestions on how I can turn this around before I lose my mind????:eek:

I don't usually think medication is an answer: but in a dog that you can't exercise who seems to be scared out of her mind, I am beginning to think this might be where we are headed jsut for her own sake. Scared little puppy eyes bugging out of her head with any movement from any family member or noise outside is no way for a pup to live

·
Registered
273 Posts
I suggest you get in contact with an animal behaviorist ASAP.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You need to consult with a veterinary behaviorist. ASAP. Don't rely on the title behaviorist as anyone can call themselves a behaviorist. I agree with you that this dog needs medical intervention. In the meantime, keep the dog in a place that is quiet and away from all the activity and people in the home. You've got an emergency on your hands, behavior wise.

If you end up consulting only your Veterinarian, please be aware that some vets still prescribe acepromazine. Contra indicated for a dog like yours.

Check out the website fearfuldogs.com

I understand you feel this is driving you crazy. Imagine how terrified this dog must feel to be behaving this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts